Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before. CALL your Department or Agriculture. Right to farm is one thing. Reoccurring herbicide drift is another.
I've said it before, I called them when it first happened, and all they did was confirm what the chemical was.
I called them again last year when I saw identical damage happening to everything in the yard that happened the year before.
Inspector came out, took samples, and the result was the same as the year before - 24-D ester... only they didn't spray 24-D last year since the crop was corn, not soy beans.
Inspector said the 24-D in the plant tissue and all the damage being done was due to residual chemicals in the plants from the previous year application.
And that was the end of that.

No one will do anything about it -"Right to Farm."

I'd be the squeaky wheel, make enough ruckus(politely).

Get the inspector out there and document the damage every single time. If there's ever any lawsuits or awards later, you want documented proof that it happened.
I get what you're saying, and that was my plan from the start.
But after dealing with it for two years, I now see it's a total waste of time on my part.
I keep my notebook, here on the desk and the first year I documented everything every day.
last year when it happened again, I made a few notes, like when he sprayed and when I called the Dept. of Ag, and what the results were.
This year, same again. I made a note today of time he sprayed and what they sprayed.
If I see any damage, I'll call the Dept of Ag again.

But, that's all.
I know for a fact, no one will ever do anything about it.
Even if I should drop dead from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, same as my dog. Nothing will be done about the toxic chemicals being used. The chemical companies won't let it happen.

Nothing will be done about the toxic chemicals being used. The chemical companies won't let it happen.
You can find out how "toxic" the chemicals being used are by looking at the LD 50 on the chemical labels. All you need to do is google the chemical label and it is right there.
This is regulated by the EPA, not the chemical companies.

You can find out how "toxic" the chemicals being used are by looking at the LD 50 on the chemical labels. All you need to do is google the chemical label and it is right there.
This is regulated by the EPA, not the chemical companies.
I know, and I appreciate the advice, but I already know more than I care to about pesticides.
It serves no purpose at all for me to do any more "research" or documentation.
It is what it is and I've come to terms with that.
But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

PS The EPA is regulated by the chemical companies.

I know, and I appreciate the advice, but I already know more than I care to about pesticides.
It serves no purpose at all for me to do any more "research" or documentation.
It is what it is and I've come to terms with that.
But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

PS The EPA is regulated by the chemical companies.
If you think the EPA and FIFRA is regulated by the chemical companies then I guess there is not much more for me to say.
But if you want to point to "toxicity" there is a measure for that and that is LD50.
I don't think you should like what has been done to your property, I understand your frustration, you should be compensated for what has happened to you, and off target damage is a real thing that is supposed to have consequences.
But if you are going to be fully equipped to engage in this battle you should know about toxicity, LD50, and not just label everything as "toxic" because it is used as a pesticide.

Table salt and vinegar are more "toxic" than glyphosate according to LD50. Yet people think they are taking the "organic" approach by using them to kill weeds. It's just good information to have in your tool box.

If you think the EPA and FIFRA is regulated by the chemical companies then I guess there is not much more for me to say.
But if you want to point to "toxicity" there is a measure for that and that is LD50.
I don't think you should like what has been done to your property, I understand your frustration, you should be compensated for what has happened to you, and off target damage is a real thing that is supposed to have consequences.
But if you are going to be fully equipped to engage in this battle you should know about toxicity, LD50, and not just label everything as "toxic" because it is used as a pesticide.

Table salt and vinegar are more "toxic" than glyphosate according to LD50. Yet people think they are taking the "organic" approach by using them to kill weeds. It's just good information to have in your tool box.
I know all about the MSDS, and again, right from the start two years ago, this has been all about 24-D LV6 ester.
Some members have been very helpful and supportive in one way or another. Some have ridiculed me, blamed me, and accused me of being the bad guy.

This year the farmers are using different chemicals. I will just have to wait and see if it's affected my property as the 24-D did.
I know for a fact there was chemical trespass again this year because I smelled it, tasted it, and felt it on my face and hair.

I appreciate your suggestions.

The problem is 2-4 d….the contract out sprayin the the dumb bastards apart g don’t give a **** about nothing but getting done…iv had fruit trees killed…if it ever happens again I will try to get ahold of someone…thing is people don’t understand it ain’t even about the money as much as the time and work you have to put into them!!!!!!!

I know a lot of good farmers have worked with them for years but these people spraying so t give a **** if it’s tornado winds high temp and humidity or what, they just let it rip…..and none of the **** is “ok” health wise for ya….

The problem is 2-4 d….the contract out sprayin the the dumb bastards apart g don’t give a **** about nothing but getting done…iv had fruit trees killed…if it ever happens again I will try to get ahold of someone…thing is people don’t understand it ain’t even about the money as much as the time and work you have to put into them!!!!!!!
You hit the nail on the head right there - it's the time spent growing and nurturing the trees and plants.
I've lived here 30 years and except for a few leftovers from my grandparents time, and before, everything in the yard is there either because I planted it, transplanted it, or let it grow as a volunteer.

How do you put a $ value on a 75 year old pecan trees? Or 200+ year old oaks?
The insurance company will pay to have them removed, and maybe replaced with 6' B&B, but that's no way compensated me for the loss.

Not only that, it's watching things that have been contaminated suffer and die a slow death... the herbicide doesn't kill the tree instantly, it kills it slowly and methodically over years.
I was told by the Dept of Ag guy, the local Ag ext. guy and the insurance company "they'll grow out of it." and that's simply not true with a systemic auxin.

How many fruit trees did you lose? Was there other damage to your property?

I know a lot of good farmers have worked with them for years but these people spraying so t give a **** if it’s tornado winds high temp and humidity or what, they just let it rip…..and none of the **** is “ok” health wise for ya….
Thankfully, the farmers who spray the fields next to me don't do that.
I totally blame the 24-D LV6 ester for the damage done.
I know a lot say "it's the applicators fault" but with this chemical I believe it's just too volatile no matter what precautions are taken.
And the proof is that I wasn't the only one with damage that year. The Ag guy said it was state wide.

Back