Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've become a victim!! I planted sweet corn 6 rows about 2 weeks ago on the lower side of the cell tower site we have on our property. Have planted various crops there for years. I sprayed it with my normal weed control spray. It started to emerge nicely. About a week ago we had a torrential downpour. I went out the next morning and saw that the rain had washed down through the outside edge of the last row of corn. Monday morning I noticed some of the corn turning brown. I was kind of second guessing myself that I might of had some spray overlap (overdosed). Yesterday I was walking by the cell tower and noticed that the weeds inside of the tower fence were brown. Apparently the company that does property maintenance for the cell co. had been there. I found the tag they attach to the fence to prove they had been there. It's dated and has there name on it. They had sprayed a few days before the rain and apparently the residue was washed off the stones and weeds and ran into my corn patch. I contacted the company and got the list/label's of the herbicides they used. I really didn't lose much corn but I now have to be concerned about the residual effects of when and what I can plant in that area in the next year. This was kind of a freak occurrence due to the timing of when they sprayed and when we had such a heavy rain. I'm going to be calling the cell tower Co to request that only certain herbicides be used to control weeds in the future.
We had similar to happen in Alabama when the local county start spraying the roadsides. They didn't account for the runoff and did a lot damage to river's system. Plants died and fish caught out the rivers had large sores along some dying. I even was fishing one time when they across the river bridge spraying. I immediately had to take a dip upstream to wash off the spray. I went to county commissioner about. At first he said "We don't spray over water" but I said they did do it on that particular river. He since corrected the problem by making sure his sprayers know better. Of course he is now retired and I have moved away so it is someone else's responsibility now.

I've become a victim!! I planted sweet corn 6 rows about 2 weeks ago on the lower side of the cell tower site we have on our property. Have planted various crops there for years. I sprayed it with my normal weed control spray. It started to emerge nicely. About a week ago we had a torrential downpour. I went out the next morning and saw that the rain had washed down through the outside edge of the last row of corn. Monday morning I noticed some of the corn turning brown. I was kind of second guessing myself that I might of had some spray overlap (overdosed). Yesterday I was walking by the cell tower and noticed that the weeds inside of the tower fence were brown. Apparently the company that does property maintenance for the cell co. had been there. I found the tag they attach to the fence to prove they had been there. It's dated and has there name on it. They had sprayed a few days before the rain and apparently the residue was washed off the stones and weeds and ran into my corn patch. I contacted the company and got the list/label's of the herbicides they used. I really didn't lose much corn but I now have to be concerned about the residual effects of when and what I can plant in that area in the next year. This was kind of a freak occurrence due to the timing of when they sprayed and when we had such a heavy rain. I'm going to be calling the cell tower Co to request that only certain herbicides be used to control weeds in the future.

Put up the list and I can advise. That's the kind of herbicides that I use all the time. I even do some cellular tower sites, although they don't tell me what to put down. They only care about the results.

Can you do that?? You have an agricultural business on your property, don't you? You raise produce for sale?
As a private individual I can't do that. I checked that online site, I forget what it's called, where you can identify your "farm" as a no-spray zone. Like beekeepers. Regular home-owners can't do that.

So, how will this affect what and when you can replant there?
I'm just going to request to the cell tower Co that in the future only certain spray may be used. Yes I raise produce for sale. Not sure how no spray zones vary from state to state.

Put up the list and I can advise. That's the kind of herbicides that I use all the time. I even do some cellular tower sites, although they don't tell me what to put down. They only care about the results.
Thanks. The co sent me labels in PDF so I have a handle on what to do. I may have them pay for a bioassay on the areas I think may be contaminated.

Thanks. The co sent me labels in PDF so I have a handle on what to do. I may have them pay for a bioassay on the areas I think may be contaminated.

For our vegetable gardening hobby we compost quite a bit and are very careful about the sources of leaves and grass clipping that we compost.

Actually, I was kinda hoping to find out what the other guys might have been using. 😎

I'm familiar with most all the soil sterilants, but I don't use the majority of them.

That's what I thought happened.
Even though it's up the the applicator to read the label and follow directions, I think the customer should be able to rely on the chemical sales person to sell them what they asked for, and if they sell a substitute should be required to inform the customer of the difference.

How did you go about getting him to pay for replacement of your fruit trees?
I just found who the local farmer and had a talk with him about it. Like a lot large farmers he didn't know I had move in. So he came by looked at the trees and agreed it was his personnel fault for spraying when the wind was blowing my direction.

Sometimes all you got to do is ask. Just like the one that one his hands took out over 100 ft of my field fence keeping my Emus in. I was lucky I found the opening before they did or it would had one heck of a foot race to catch them. That farmer personally came and repaired my fence.

But since I move to where I am now some idiot intentionally turned out my two remaining Emus. It took me three days to recapture them. The male was easy but the female bolted as I got to the gate. I finally caught her and half hour later when I lasso her in a soybean field. We both exhausted to the point of collapse. I thought I had here hog tied but 15 minutes later she met me as I got some help at the end of the field. she was still dragging the lasso so I was take her back down. I sent the help to get my truck and we loaded and brought her home. I now keep locks on the gates now.

Now for a 61 yr old to do this surprise myself. I didn't think I was still able to keep up the bird that run at 30+ mph for long distances.

That's what I thought happened.
Even though it's up the the applicator to read the label and follow directions, I think the customer should be able to rely on the chemical sales person to sell them what they asked for, and if they sell a substitute should be required to inform the customer of the difference.

How did you go about getting him to pay for replacement of your fruit trees?
I just found out who the local farmer and had a talk with him about it. Like a lot large farmers he didn't know I had move in. So he came by looked at the trees and agreed it was his personnel fault for spraying when the wind was blowing my direction.

Sometimes all you got to do is ask. Just like the other one that one his hands took out over 100 ft of my field fence keeping my Emus in. I was lucky I found the opening before they did or it would had one heck of a foot race to catch them. That farmer personally came and repaired my fence.

But since I move to where I am now some idiot intentionally turned out my two remaining Emus. It took me three days to recapture them. The male was easy but the female bolted as I got to the gate. I finally caught her and half hour later when I lasso her in a soybean field. We both exhausted to the point of collapse. I thought I had here hog tied but 15 minutes later she met me as I got some help at the end of the field. she was still dragging the lasso so I was take her back down. I sent the help to get my truck and we loaded and brought her home. I now keep locks on the gates now.

Now for a 61 yr old to do this surprise myself. I didn't think I was still able to keep up the bird that run at 30+ mph for long distances.

For our vegetable gardening hobby we compost quite a bit and are very careful about the sources of leaves and grass clipping that we compost.

What are you scared off? Do you not understand CONTACT herbicides. For gosh sakes Atrazine is gone

Oust is the one that drifted into your crop and killed plants. It's pretty bad about translocating in the soil; water carries it down hill. The Esplanade is just a really good pre-emergent.

Is that all the information that you got from them? They should have reported to you gallons of mix used on that site and what the mixture strength was. This would tell you whether they were grossly over-dosing that facility to get good control.

I don't use Oust too much, because it moves in the soil too much and doesn't persist nearly as long as I prefer. They are covering for that weakness by adding a non-turf pre-emergent that presumably does a really good job of persisting in the soil. Don't be surprised if you have crop declining to germinate in those areas next year.

After thought: I have used the Esplanade pre-emergent under a different brand name: Specticle. Same stuff, but different brand. It's OMG expensive, though. I thought it far too expensive for continued use, as the common lawn preemergents were about 1/5th as expensive and almost as good. The Specticle/Esplanade controls the industrial weed collection a bit better too, and isn't labeled for turf application.

So, just as I feared, watering the trees may compound the problem rather than alleviate it. :rare2:

I didn't read anything in your latest post that suggested this conclusion. Why is it that you keep discarding the recommendations of pretty much everyone that you ask? Discounting my own remarks (always unworthy, as I have discovered), why are you still stuck on repudiating the county extension agents?

I also called "my" nurseryman this morning and asked him if he could come out and evaluate the damage, give me an estimate of the value of my trees, and cost of replacement.
You would need an appraisal arborist for that. It's a very small subset of the tree experts. Anything less will not meet with too much acceptance when you go to settlement.

My tree-cutter was a no-show yesterday.
Damn those unreliable tree guys! It's endemic in our trade. They probably went shopping for fireworks, and stocked up on too much beer.

Back