Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? From page one of this thread? :ices_rofl:
Please get back to me when you've read all 66 pages (there were a lot more)

But, to answer your questions, there are GMO seed, corn and soy bean included, that are genetically designed to be resistant to a specific herbicide. One example is Round-up Ready seed is resistant to Round-up.

"Pesticide" is a term that includes other "-cides" like herbicide.
Pesticides kill pests - animal, insect, and assorted vegetation.

Your guess would be wrong.
Tissue samples taken by the Dept of Ag inspector, two years in a row, confirmed pesticide contamination by 24-D LV6 ester.
I'm not reading 66 pages of anything. I am a farmer and a certified chemical application license holder. 2-4-D is not a PESTICIDE. It is a herbicide. Forget about the -cide. Pest = insects Herb=plants/woody vegetation. :cool: OT

I'm not reading 66 pages of anything. I am a farmer and a certified chemical application license holder. 2-4-D is not a PESTICIDE. It is a herbicide. Forget about the -cide. Pest = insects Herb=plants/woody vegetation. :cool: OT
Whatever.
If you can't be bothered reading over 66 pages that cover two years worth of a bad experience from chemical trespass, I most certainly am not going to waste my time rehashing it with you.

If you decide to read it, and get up to speed with what's going on now, I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.
Otherwise...

A "pesticide" is anything that is used to control a pest which includes weeds or unwanted vegetation according to the EPA and FIFRA.
They all fall under the same umbrella.

Why We Use Pesticides

Pesticides are used to control various pests and disease carriers, such as mosquitoes, ticks, rats and mice. Pesticides are used in agriculture to control weeds, insect infestation and diseases.
There are many different types of pesticides; each is meant to be effective against specific pests. Some examples include:

• Algaecides to kill and/or slow the growth of algae.
  • Antimicrobials to control germs and microbes such as bacteria and viruses.
  • Disinfectants to control germs and microbes such as bacteria and viruses.
  • Fungicides to control fungal problems like molds, mildew, and rust.
  • Herbicides to kill or inhibit the growth of unwanted plants, also known as weeds.
  • Insecticides to control insects.
  • Insect Growth Regulators to disrupt the growth and reproduction of insects.
  • Rodenticides to kill rodents like mice, rats, and gophers.
  • Wood Preservatives to make wood resistant to insects, fungus and, other pests.
Makes me wonder exactly what they teach in those classes and question the qualifications of those "certified chemical application license holders.":surprised3:

You still want to argue with me what a "pesticide" is? :laughing:

"not a sign of pesticide contamination from 24-D."
2-4-D is not a pesticide. It is a herbicide. :cool: OT

Let's have an understanding.
A pesticide, as defined in the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) is "any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest." This definition encompasses a wide range of products used to control pests, including insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, rodenticides, and more.

All herbicides are therefore pesticides, but only some pesticides are herbicides. At least legally, for the purposes of herbicide damage discussed in this thread about Tennessee applications.

Whatever.
If you can't be bothered reading over 66 pages that cover two years worth of a bad experience from chemical trespass, I most certainly am not going to waste my time rehashing it with you.

If you decide to read it, and get up to speed with what's going on now, I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.
Otherwise...
I asked you a simple question way back. Have you gone to your neighbor and asked what it was they were spraying. I am well aware of what chemical trespass is. I don't need to read 66 pages of others bad experiences. As a licensed applicator, I am well aware of how, when and when not to, how and how not to. Obviously your neighbor did not adhere to the first rule of any application be it pesticide or herbicide. Never apply during windy or breeze conditions. PERIOD. I intend not to reply further to your thread unless you tell us that you visited your neighbor to find out exactly what was used. From your photos it is obviously a HERBICIDE. But you don't know what herbicide. :cool: OT

Why We Use Pesticides

Pesticides are used to control various pests and disease carriers, such as mosquitoes, ticks, rats and mice. Pesticides are used in agriculture to control weeds, insect infestation and diseases.
There are many different types of pesticides; each is meant to be effective against specific pests. Some examples include:

• Algaecides to kill and/or slow the growth of algae.
  • Antimicrobials to control germs and microbes such as bacteria and viruses.
  • Disinfectants to control germs and microbes such as bacteria and viruses.
  • Fungicides to control fungal problems like molds, mildew, and rust.
  • Herbicides to kill or inhibit the growth of unwanted plants, also known as weeds.
  • Insecticides to control insects.
  • Insect Growth Regulators to disrupt the growth and reproduction of insects.
  • Rodenticides to kill rodents like mice, rats, and gophers.
  • Wood Preservatives to make wood resistant to insects, fungus and, other pests.
Makes me wonder exactly what they teach in those classes and question the qualifications of those "certified chemical application license holders.":surprised3:

You still want to argue with me what a "pesticide" is? :laughing:
If your hell bent on calling a weed a pest so be it. I can't help you. And you can't help yourself if you don't talk to your neighbor.

"What type of pesticide is specific to killing unwanted weeds?"

Herbicides

Herbicides are chemicals used to manipulate or control undesirable vegetation. Herbicide application occurs most frequently in row-crop farming, where they are applied before or during planting to maximize crop productivity by minimizing other vegetation.Feb 29, 2024
:cool: OT

A "pesticide" is anything that is used to control a pest which includes weeds or unwanted vegetation according to the EPA and FIFRA.
They all fall under the same umbrella.
Ah ha. We have another that doesn't know a weed from a bug.

Herbicides

Herbicides are chemicals used to manipulate or control undesirable vegetation. Herbicide application occurs most frequently in row-crop farming, where they are applied before or during planting to maximize crop productivity by minimizing other vegetation.Feb 29, 2024

Ah ha. We have another that doesn't know a weed from a bug.

Herbicides

You are reminding me of someone who recently got banned from AS.

As some here like to say, "Here we go again..."

I looked at the fields to the north and south of me this morning and they are already changing color. A field to the south of the field to the south of me is dirt brown, Idk when they sprayed that, or with what since it could be soy or corn this year, Idk.

After seeing that I decided to do a yard inspection.
Literally, overnight, all of the beautiful white flowers on my dogwood have turned brown.
There is severe cupping on ALL the tree leaves and also the grape leaves and oakleaf hydrangea.
The leaves on all the trees are showing damage and are turning a sickly yellow-green from the beautiful emerald green they were just two days ago.

I called the DoA inspector but he didn't answer so I left a message, twice.
I called the county extension agent, but he wasn't in either. The woman who I spoke to took detailed notes and said she would have him call me back asap.

Well, if you can't be bothered to actually read a thread before commenting it kind of shows what your opinion is worth...jmho

I asked you a simple question way back. Have you gone to your neighbor and asked what it was they were spraying. I am well aware of what chemical trespass is. I don't need to read 66 pages of others bad experiences. As a licensed applicator, I am well aware of how, when and when not to, how and how not to. Obviously your neighbor did not adhere to the first rule of any application be it pesticide or herbicide. Never apply during windy or breeze conditions. PERIOD. I intend not to reply further to your thread unless you tell us that you visited your neighbor to find out exactly what was used. From your photos it is obviously a HERBICIDE. But you don't know what herbicide. :cool: OT
If you had actually read the thread you would have seen that she has done that and it was discussed at length.

Well, if you can't be bothered to actually read a thread before commenting it kind of shows what your opinion is worth...jmho

True. I have a problem with anyone that claims to be a certified applicator yet doesn't recognize the meaning of "pesticide".
Especially after having been told.

Just came across this while searching "synthetic auxin." Pretty sure I haven't seen this one before

Synthetic Auxins

Not quite. You are just a bit forgetful.

It appears watering is not helping. And this is likely the reason why:

"2,4-D kills plants by causing the cells in the tissues that carry water and nutrients to divide and grow without stopping. Herbicides that act this way are called auxin-type herbicides."
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/24Dgen.html
This is my clove current that was damaged, as you can see from the still deformed "new growth."
I watered it yesterday for more than an hour and it's in a mostly shady area.
If the leaves were getting any benefit at all from the water, they would have perked up. And there is no change at all. The leaves are still dry, droopy, and stiff.

Not quite. You are just a bit forgetful.
Yes, I may be a bit forgetful. Could be brain damage for the pesticides. ;)
But that specific article/link I posted this morning is one I'm pretty sure I haven't seen before.
I have seen and posted tons of links and articles about synthetic auxins before.
That NPIC web site was, I believe, the first one I came across.

Finally, the ag ext. agent called me back - but not before I called the local newspaper.
The ag agent is going to try to get in touch with the inspector and get back to me. I asked him to be sure and let him know I want plant tissue samples taken. He said he would.

The conversation with the hot-shot reporter was interesting.
Trying to explain all this to someone who doesn't even have the slightest clue to what's going on - or what they're up against - is so beyond mind-numbing.
She said she thought it would make a good story and she'll run it by her editor.

Anyone want to wager he decides to squash the story... and instead run a nice piece about Earth Day and how wonderful all the nurserymen and farmers are?

Back