Tree fell and foundation is cracked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinaR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We had a tree fall and hit the house shortly after hurricane Sandy. The tree fell from about 80 feet and where in hit house on roof and broke through wall on 2nd floor it was about 3.5 ft in diameter. Thickest part of broken part of tree was 5.5 ft in diameter. It was a split pine and it fell from the split about 15 ft from ground. Ground was saturated due to storms. Structural engineer said no way tree could have cracked foundation, concrete is too strong. Also, skeptics field is under tree, and D-box is 2.5 ft from tree, concerned that may be damaged as we had a drain pike let go in a bathroom away from the damage, but find it hard to believe it is a coincidence. Any thoughts if this damage could be caused from the force of a falling tree?
Thanks soo much for your help!

Last edited:
I can see a tree cracking a foundation from that far away, but only if the load pillared downward to a weak point say above a basement window or foundation vent...........

Say above damage was directly above a triple set of jacks or something that would stay intact but transfer a large force downward through a stacked double joist onto the foundation.

Pictures and specs of foundation are needed, but if a SE says no, there is little else you can do besides hiring one yourself.

Good Luck

From what you say it didn't go any lower than the second floor. No where near the foundation I'm afraid. Post pictures of the tree, the house and the crack.

No tree hit roof, second floor and almost broke through doors on first floor and fell on deck about 1.5 ft above top of foundation, will try to post pics if I can figure out how.

well is it a new crack or an old crack? if you look deep enough you can tell!

How can I tell? I am down there almost every day. Like a cut on one of my kids, you notice something like a giant crack immediately! I will try to post a picture, just seems like too much of a coincidence!

given what I see no, not likely that tree would or could crack any fit for purpose laid foundation concrete. it may harm paving crete that has no reo wire steel or penatrate to sub ground pipes with limbs spiking in. But blunt force was softened as it fell the impact was absorbed by house and cushioned by limbs. if u can you post picture the said crack for us be more helpfull

It does kind of look like a fresh crack but can't say for sure from just a pic. I doubt the tree did it, it might have been water pressure. Hire a public adjuster.

Ah there the cracks sos ok missed it in the thread... Anyhoo looks like it originates from bottom side of slab up wards not force from above down. So me thinks heave in ground surrounding home. Is you soil profile sand or suspect reactive clay's, if so new home on new slab laid in dry weather then gets high moisture and the ground swells heaves the slab cracking at a weak point..
Unless this crack is near impact and is home foundation fulcrum not supported well the tree hit pushing it down,, this is prolly not best sorted on a discussion forum, really need to see just where and how connected is the whole concern.

note cracks of x size are considered within most building spec tolerance and so not case for correction if seen stable.

attachment.php

That didn't crack your foundation, brush hit from Pine top, dented the gutter & scratch the siding. Branches smacking the roof above a window (not broken) & over double doors. The header's would have spread any load onto the foundation. Most of the impact force was absorbed across the brush field snapping the brittle Pine limbs.

it does not look like there is a stress point (like a window, or that sort of thing) for the crack to start from. I would say that tree did not do that, it may have helped the pressure from the saturated earth around your foundation to produce that crack, but not the impact of the tree itself.
Hope this helps! And good luck, my brother had this exact same thing happen in the fall of last year.

I agree with above, that tree's force was absorbed by the sheathing on the roof and the gutter, in fact the siding damage hasn't even extended to a stud or shoe plate. Doors are still functioning so there was no structural damage caused by that tree. The doors would have been the first issue if the tree's impact had caused structural damage to the home.

The crack looks to be an existing crack that has moved recently, but only enough to make the small edges chip off. I am guessing there is some fresh chipage(my made up word) on the basement floor.

Also agreeing that this forum isn't a good place to get these opinions as you don't know my credentials, nor can I put my hands on your house, but thats what you get, and no charge this time.

Looks like you got out pretty easy, soft landing, soft tree.

I agree with the above also. I don't think that white pine would ever have the force to break your foundation. Now if it was a 5ft dia oak that speared a limb near the foundation....then maybe...

Back