Tree ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not sure I have seen this one before. Sub-par pictures, but hopefully somebody will be able to pick it out by the white midvein in the leave and with the bark.

Thanks!

1026151413.jpg 1026151413a.jpg 1026151414.jpg

occurred to me this morning: this is not dappled willow, is it? (Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki') I'd expect the leaves to be more speckled.

Kinda what I was thinking... She said she thought it was something Japanese. Pretty funny, the previous owner stopped by one day to tell her they were pruning it wrong! (I'd prune it like I'd prune any other tree...but if there is something special I am supposed to be doing...).

I told her should should have told the previous owners she would have appreciated it if they had pruned her Pyrus calleryana correctly (or at all)...they are due to fall apart the next time the wind blows.

Dapple willow are usually speckled pink. It LOOKS like a golden willow.. But they tend to weep more so than that.

Yeah...not much weep to this one. I think any yellowing you see is also related to season change. Seems like some kind of willow...just not sure what!

Makes me feel 'less clueless'! With some digging I can usually get it, but I am lost.

I am in northern Ohio and this tree is still in good shape after two tough winters, so I'd say it is at least a zone 5 tree if that helps narrow the search. I am going to a nursery to pick up some trees tomorrow, so I'll bring pictures and ask them. Will report back if they know.

That is not out of the question Jed... The 2 I know are Autumn olive and Russian olive. It is neither. A couple of tree keys tried to take me there...

Looks like arctic willow? I've got the weeping version of this same tree out along the driveway............

I couldn't find any matching images for arctic willow....

The nursery folks didn't know either - and it is a good sized nursery. They are pretty sure it is a Salix.

Mystery solved... The client said the previous owner left them a note saying it is a Hakura Nishiki Willow - which makes it the biggest dappled willow I have ever seen...and far exceeding what the literature says the tree size should be. Also, missing some of the specking you'd expect on the leaves. I'll get better pictures in a few weeks when I go back to prune it - she just called today to ask me to do the work I bid. Of course it probably won't have leaves on it by then.

They just guess on the sizes anyhow with hybrids. I've taken out way to many trees that have out grown their expectations.
Old Soul put that damn weeping Arctic willow out of its misery. Along with that birch you planted right against your shop

Latest posts

Back