Tree resorts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a rhetorical question, will the bugs die back at some point to an acceptable level or are the survivors treated for life with a regimen of $ and the minute the funds run out certain death ? My guess is latter as one bug is pretty much unacceptable right ?

I know you said rhetorical...have you dealt with EAB? It is a VERY aggressive pest. There are very few untreated trees that are still alive and millions upon millions of untreated trees that died in a 4-5 year period. I didn't make up the insects' biology, I just offer options including telling how the tree themselves or letting the tree go where it is not critical to the landscape. Had a client that wanted me to treat all of his ash trees. I pointed to one in a group of maples: "would you miss that one if it dies?" "No". We didn't treat it.

I have told every client "plan on treating at this level for perpetuity. Hopefully as there are fewer live host trees we can scale back treatment...but I want to make those decisions based on research which may be hard to come by. Are you willing to treat your tree for 10 years then be the 'control' where we quit treating the tree and see what happens?"

I'd be open to other IPM options and use them on many other trees...I agree that we don't want to inject every tree in America. However, I haven't heard of a viable alternative to insecticides to stop EAB from killing ash trees.

I know you said rhetorical...have you dealt with EAB? It is a VERY aggressive pest. There are very few untreated trees that are still alive and millions upon millions of untreated trees that died in a 4-5 year period. I didn't make up the insects' biology, I just offer options including telling how the tree themselves or letting the tree go where it is not critical to the landscape. Had a client that wanted me to treat all of his ash trees. I pointed to one in a group of maples: "would you miss that one if it dies?" "No". We didn't treat it.

I have told every client "plan on treating at this level for perpetuity. Hopefully as there are fewer live host trees we can scale back treatment...but I want to make those decisions based on research which may be hard to come by. Are you willing to treat your tree for 10 years then be the 'control' where we quit treating the tree and see what happens?"

I'd be open to other IPM options and use them on many other trees...I agree that we don't want to inject every tree in America. However, I haven't heard of a viable alternative to insecticides to stop EAB from killing ash trees.
I have not dealt with eab, I know your ethics are true, my prodding was more of curiosity with where ash goes from here. My opinion is some clients will treat the trees for possibly their lifetime but new owners maybe not. The big pond was put there for a good reason imho. Imports should have had tighter restrictions, these bugs should not be getting here; this is why 45 years ago I strongly opposed nuclear power plants and still do. Man thinks he is smarter than he is. We are not infallible and should never have custody of things which can leak and destroy the Earth for 3k years. I know i'm projecting my opinion but when you look at meltdowns and understand its implications its very clear that we seemingly attempt to self destruct. I guess pretty much ash is doomed like American chestnut and elm and in 20 years youngsters will only hear about their stature in the landscape never experience them first hand.
Oh and yes, I changed subject temporarily in that rant, sorry for that. I always seem to look for the big picture and my mind goes off on tangents at times, likely from silly things I did in my youth.

I like to think I'm pretty sharp about trees, like your self.
I know little about many of these treatments though. My boss seems knowledgeable on these treatments but lacks common arborist knowledge
Beast, I'm a pup in the study but I made a decision about 5 years ago to learn the non-climbing end of our profession after doing the climbing end all my life. Honestly; this study is never ending. The little I have retained only sheds light on the remaining study necessary to metamorphosisize into what I'd call an arborist! I'm gaining ground on the study, however; there is a long way to go before I feel I'm worthy to wear the title of arborist.

Back