trees and wind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have six trees growing in planters on a 16th floor terrace. Two are tall boxwoods, one is a spruce, another is a layland cypress and one is an arborvitae the last a jap red maple. They were big when I planted them. The balls just fitting in the planters. I got them packed nicely in soil. The Boxwoods are fine. But the others are getting really thin from the wind. I would say it blows up there at 35 mph all day. Any feedback would be appriciated. Like what trees other than these can handle that kind of constant wind. I have thought about building a wind screen but it might become too costly to take that route.

I am talking about the Hudson River. Too far from the ocean to have any salt.
This building is right on the river. Hence the high constant wind.

When I was doing landscaping in DC, often times on roofs, Ive found about one of the best things for roof-tops is ewes. Either shrub or up-right. I know they arent that pretty, but they stay green year round, and eventually make a nice screen.

Barberry seem to hold up to the rigors of city life as well.

Casey you got to come back on me on that one. I'm a city guy but isn't a ewe, ah, some kind of sheep. I am thinking you meant yew, right? That interesting, I like yews.

Adrpk said:
Casey you got to come back on me on that one. I'm a city guy but isn't a ewe, ah, some kind of sheep. I am thinking you meant yew, right? That interesting, I like yews.

No, he doesn't mean "yew". Don't be dense. He's talking about sheep. Green sheep. They DO stay that way all year round. Well, except when you shear them, er, I mean, prune them. Oh, now I'm confused...:dizzy:

attachment.php

Mid town. The building faces the west. The trees are on the north side. 16 th fl.
I don't know how far salt from brackish water can fly but let's stick with the wind as my problem. Plants that can handle 35 mph constant wind.

Adrpk said:
I am talking about the Hudson River. Too far from the ocean to have any salt.
This building is right on the river. Hence the high constant wind.

You may get some help from Chicago. There's been a bit roof-top planting there. The top of city hall is fully landscaped and I think a few others have been also. I wouldn't think they'd be too stingy with their plant list.

Good luck.

Back