Treeslaying Illinois style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I'm in VA. sunny, upper 50's, sweeeeeeet.

gonna hit a few jobs here, in Williamsburg, and either move up to Northern VA or run up to NY if I can get a lead on some work in a couple days. anybody needs a bada$$ climbing team, PM me.

This is where selling yourself, rather then the process comes in. I think any area an arborist can be undercut by a landscraper. My pitch is would you prefer me or an unskilled college kid? More often then not I was given a chance to prove myself, and was rewarded with a revolving account.

I tell people that I don't just come and run over it with a power shear, i manage the growth. Time the pruning so you get there after the first flush has slowed down, do hand pruning on larger stems so it looks better and cuts are under the "green shell", do a meticulous clean-up in and around the plant :laugh: How often do we hear people gripe about having to clean up after the landscaping crew?

Some people I was able to sell several visits in a year, simply because they wanted an immaculate front yard. I did it better then they did, and often healthier. (shearing junies every year stresses the roots. I am convinced that the loss of auxins from the buds has a synergistic effect with the leachates form concrete basements.)

Great post I will try that approach if I get the chance. I know sheering is easy but also Know it is the same as topping. Many home owners prefer it though over lateral pruning. I have worked on some large Crape myrtles that I basically thinned removed crossing branches and they looked great they had never been cut the way most are done here. They look great to me natural with pruning only problem areas. It takes a little longer but the results are definately worthy of appreciation. You lost me JP loss of auxin = growth hormone then please explain I have read it I know but I am losing my mind lol:cheers:

PS: what do you do if you come to them and they have already been headed? Prune to the most vigorous sucker and try and restore? I have no shrub experiance virtually but if I pursued may obtain some work there are lots of shrubs around!

Last edited:
You lost me JP loss of auxin = growth hormone then please explain I have read it I know but I am losing my mind lol:cheers:
In it's most basic:
Auxins are a class of plant hormone generated in the buds.
Some auxins "stimulate" root growth.
Shearing removes all terminal buds, thus stressing the root system.
Leachates from concrete foundations raise the pH of the soil binding up Fe and Mn, often inducing chlorosis.
A synergy is where the combination of two "treatments" has an effect greater then each individual treatment i.e. chemical cocktails for treating HIV is a good synergy, and tobacco and asbestos is a bad synergy that has far greater rates of mesothelioma.
My position is that sheared foundation junipers have far greater incidence of chlorosis.

PS: what do you do if you come to them and they have already been headed? Prune to the most vigorous sucker and try and restore? I have no shrub experiance virtually but if I pursued may obtain some work there are lots of shrubs around!

Crepe will not grow up here, but we do have several small trees that are treated similarly. Crabapple is very common. There are several ways to address this;

The best is to convince them that it stresses the tree and costs much more per year then proper pruning. Then sell a crown restoration that lasts 3-5 ears followed by a 3 year cycle.

Those who do not like it to grow "too high" can be convinced to do a serial or "Coder" pollard, using the method Kim Coder put forth years ago of thinning the sprouts out every year so that there is never more then a 3 year old branch on the head.

Lastly is to show them that a pollard looks better and is better for the tree because there are no little stubs left after each shearing. I've seen some geometric topiary done on pollarded shrubs that look very good.

A very few want the squared off top, and only that, I could easily show that I was faster and cleaner on these with my Feloc's then anyone with a power-shear

Crepe myrtles take a beating here, they are all over, and are never pruned well.
I took the question as more of the general application vs. species specific.

I can remember Guy bemoaning the myrtle abuse, at least twice a week, when helped him with ice storm work. It seems that every region has it's ubiquitously abused species. The more common it is the more it gets slapped around.

I took the question as more of the general application vs. species specific.

I can remember Guy bemoaning the myrtle abuse, at least twice a week, when helped him with ice storm work. It seems that every region has it's ubiquitously abused species. The more common it is the more it gets slapped around.

Silver maples are HUMILIATED around here.:deadhorse:

Just got done reading this thread

thinks I have learned from this

treeslayer=bad ass m0therfacker removal guy I mean come on...Can we get some more video's of this guy?

dude is the MAN!

seriously impressed....

Dave did you ever get to any ice storms ?

Just got done reading this thread

thinks I have learned from this

treeslayer=bad ass m0therfacker removal guy I mean come on...Can we get some more video's of this guy?

dude is the MAN!

seriously impressed....

Dave did you ever get to any ice storms ?

Wow a groupie now I am impressed:hmm3grin2orange: All us climbers need caddy,s like this lol.

Wow a groupie now I am impressed:hmm3grin2orange: All us climbers need caddy,s like this lol.

humbly I must point out I am am a hero to millions of young men around the world. and dreamt of by millions of young women, an honor I hold dear to my heart.:dizzy:

The ROPE is my hero.:bowdown::bowdown:

I'm guessing it's OlDirty reincarnated.:cheers:

humbly I must point out I am am a hero to millions of young men around the world. and dreamt of by millions of young women, an honor I hold dear to my heart.:dizzy:

The ROPE is my hero.:bowdown::bowdown:

I'm guessing it's OlDirty reincarnated.:cheers:

kin ell you yanks are truely stupid...:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::dizzy:

Back