trolling for a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixin40

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
This would be my first post and I was wondering if any one had heard of a log splitter brand called "Lickety Split". There is one for sale in the area and the older fella who is selling claims it looks great and runs great. It will take a 24" log, has a cast iron 11 horse Briggs and Straton, and according to him it will "really push some wood". It was built in Ohio back in the 70's. In my experience you really cannot go wrong with older, well built equipment. What do you guys think? I have not actually seen it yet and the asking price is 900 dollars.
Thanks for the input-

Lickity+splitter-5177.jpg

Here's another pic of one!
If this motor ran well! I think I would only offer about $500, though!

Last edited:
I'll just echo what everyone else said. I think they were a decent splitter in their day, but not worth anywhere near 900 today.

P.S. Tractor Supply frequently has their 22 tonner on sale for $999..... brandy new with a warranty.

Thanks for the replys

I think I'll have a look at it tomorrow, with an empty wallet, so there won't be a chance for an impulse buy. It'll give me a chance to think it over and maybe try to get him to come down on price. If all else fails American is making them every day!

I would pay that in a NY minute

Super3 has one. You might think they are slow.. They are fast, engine idles down when not under a load.Very fuel thrifty.

My BIL has one, it's a bad A$$ splitter. Like Eric said they idle down when they're not under load, and they're spring return so they are fast, this one has a 7HP Kohler engine. I did some repair work to it a few years ago, while I had it I took a few pics. 900 is way too much IMHO $300-$400 is more realistic.

attachment.php

Borg Warner pump.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks like a well built splitter from back in the day.

You don't see em' built that way no more.

:chainsaw:

I'd start at $400-500 and go from there though, it's old and may need some type of work. Parts may be hard to find for the engine side of it too, you'll find them but how long will it take to get them?

IMHO $300-$400 is more realistic.

:agree2: If is in good mechanical order. Getting him to drop his price by more than 50% might be a tall order. You should feel that out over the phone first unless he is very close. This could take several conversations to get it at that price range. good luck

Lickity Splitter update

So, I got up way too early to go look at a piece of equipment that I do not have permission to buy, yet, and I ended up splitting wood for half an hour. The splitter needs to have the carb adjusted, no big deal, and there is a very slight leak on the ram itself, but it still functions just fine. The leak is so slight there was no dripping, to get a better idea the area would need to be wiped down and checked over time with use. It does have the idle down function and its' own version of auto cycle. The idle down function was not working because the cable needed to be cleaned and a set screw installed, no big deal. The auto cycle is quite cool, you move the lever toward the wedge and let go, the ram will travel its' full cycle and automatically return. The linkage on this also needs to be adjusted, not a problem. The return is operated by 2 springs in the beam and by the looks of it the cylinder only has hyd oil on one side? So from what I saw is the pump feeds the control valve which either feeds the cylinder or dumps back to the tank. Hyd pressure released - springs pull the ram back for a quick cycle.... I like it. The steel is straight, no visible cracks and every thing seem to be there. 8 HP engine not 11 HP. He dropped his price to 800 without much effort on my part... What do you guys think? It split 30" long 24" DIA notty pine pretty easily and went through the crotch of an 18" DIA maple, I thought that was OK. Better than a maul! Give me some thoughts.

that's a ek308 i had one not to bad slow they have Ben out of biz four 15 years now keep looking
14o23ww.jpg
got this one four$ 60.00 in dec tom trees:jawdrop:

What do you guys think?

I told you before, it was too much money IMO. I now think I would RUN away from the deal.

The cylinder LEAKS. You think rebuilding it will be a 5 dollar fix?

The machine OBVIOUSLY need work.

For 200 more, you could have a NEW splitter with a warranty and easy acess to parts if you ever need them.

You seem pretty stuck on the idea of buying it. You likely will, and I bet you end up learning a lesson in the end. Not a wise buy, IMO.

Don't walk, run.....away. That splitter isn't worth half what he's asking. Sorry.

You took the words right off my fingertips. Anyone who would pay this kind of money for that is a complete and total.............potential customer of mine and while you're here let's take a lookee what we have here; a gently used 029 Farmboss for a mere $425.

All jokes aside, not making fun of anyone just trying to save a little heartache; take money and go find a new or like new one with a warranty.

Not buying it

Money is better spent elsewhere. I unlike other people cannot decide the condition of equipment based on a 12 word description. Actually going to see the equipment and operate it gives me a better idea of what it is. The lickity Split is a unique splitter but for the money I can build some thing better. Thank for the insight fellas.

Back