True or false: Mfs walk away from carb warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've long since resigned myself to just replacing carbs whenever I have an issue with any of my 2 cycle engines. Quick, cheap, and effective. But I've got wonder about all the folks out there, homeowners, who buy a high dollar Husky or Stihl saw or blower from a dealer, get the 4 year warranty or whatever, then get told a year and a half later, "Oh, you've ruined the carb yourself. Bad gas. Not covered, that'll be $150, please." To which the homeowner replies, "But I've only used that expensive pre-mix you sold me. Nothing else!" To which the dealer says, "Sorry Charlie."
So, it seems to me that there's no such thing as a warranty on a 2 cycle engine, since "BAD GAS" can always be invoked to explain all failures. T/F?

Good topic and scenario OP...I'll watch this thread awaiting responses/interactions folks have had with dealers and warranty work.

I'm like you though...warranty ain't worth the damn Wendy's napkin its wrote on, I bet will be the overwhelming response.

PS...see you are in Chapel Hill. Been there many times, many years ago when I lived in New Bern. Was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point.

A warranty is only as good as the dealer, which more often than not isn't worth the [emoji90]. The extended warranty is just a money grab.

If you buy their expensive canned fuel and extend the warranty to 4 years, it still only cover manufacturer defects and that defect isn't gonna take 4 years to show up.

Good topic and scenario OP...I'll watch this thread awaiting responses/interactions folks have had with dealers and warranty work.

I'm like you though...warranty ain't worth the damn Wendy's napkin its wrote on, I bet will be the overwhelming response.

PS...see you are in Chapel Hill. Been there many times, many years ago when I lived in New Bern. Was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point.
Note: the following is off topic, but fun.
Excellent! I shot some video tape at Cherry Point one time for UNC's NROTC department! It was so much fun. The dept. wanted to teach sailing skills to students. But they had no sailboat. So they signed up for the DEA's "confiscated sailboats" list. Soon, they had a $400,00 sailing vessel that had been seized in a weed bust. The potheads had gutted the vessel to hold more dope. So the commanding officer had the boat towed to the Charleston Navy Shipyard and refitted luxuriously. Then, they sailed it to Cherry Point.. Each summer, UNC and Duke NROTC students could sign up to go down and learn how to sail a big sailing yacht. I videotaped the vessel underway, with students as the entire crew, for a promotional video that essentially said " Look what you'll get to do if you take NROTC! " Later some students took it to NYC for the tall ships parade.

A warranty is only as good as the dealer, which more often than not isn't worth the [emoji90]. The extended warranty is just a money grab.

If you buy their expensive canned fuel and extend the warranty to 4 years, it still only cover manufacturer defects and that defect isn't gonna take 4 years to show up.
Spot on post!!

I have replaced quite a few carbs on there 2/3 year that were still under stihls 4 year warranty. If there is no contamination, no bad fuel, and fails certain tests then warranty, new carb. this is mostly on homeowner equipment with cheap carbs. I even replaced a 7 year old fs90 engine under warranty(customer had to pay labor).

Note: the following is off topic, but fun.
Excellent! I shot some video tape at Cherry Point one time for UNC's NROTC department! It was so much fun. The dept. wanted to teach sailing skills to students. But they had no sailboat. So they signed up for the DEA's "confiscated sailboats" list. Soon, they had a $400,00 sailing vessel that had been seized in a weed bust. The potheads had gutted the vessel to hold more dope. So the commanding officer had the boat towed to the Charleston Navy Shipyard and refitted luxuriously. Then, they sailed it to Cherry Point.. Each summer, UNC and Duke NROTC students could sign up to go down and learn how to sail a big sailing yacht. I videotaped the vessel underway, with students as the entire crew, for a promotional video that essentially said " Look what you'll get to do if you take NROTC! " Later some students took it to NYC for the tall ships parade.
Pics?

Husqvarna replaced the carb on my 562 when it was about 2 months old, they even gave me a different 562 to use while mine was getting fixed under warranty, it took about a week.

Latest posts

Back