Trufuel deceptive packaging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwasifar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So here's what TruFuel currently costs at the big orange place:

trufuel.png

To look at that you'd think the last one is the obvious best deal. $34.99 for a gallon and a half is considerably more expensive than buying a gallon for $19.97, right?

Except it's not a gallon:

trufuel2.png

Run the numbers on those and they come out almost identical. The 6-pack of quart cans is $23.33/gal (18.22¢ per ounce) and the 110-oz "gallon" can, which actually more than a pint short of a gallon, comes out to $23.24/gal (18.15¢ per ounce). Nine cents a gallon different.

So, two things. First, this seems like a deliberate attempt to mislead by making the can subtly smaller than a gallon but still looking like one. It's like how a "pint" of ice cream is 14 ounces now, or a roll of toilet paper is a skinny air-puffed ribbon. Second, twenty-three bucks and change per gallon is really expensive even give or take the nine cents.
I was looking at this stuff because the nearest source for ethanol-free gas is a 45-minute drive, but now I feel like it's sort of a con job if they're going to try to fool me with fake gallons. The price difference per gallon between TruFuel and pump gas plus oil is probably more than enough to cover my gas to make the drive if I take a couple of 5-gal Eagle cans with me.

Talk me out of it if you think I'm wrong about this stuff.

The small bottles are only 900 ml.

Happening to everything. Kingsford charcoal went from 20lbs to 18.6, many ice cream went to 3 pints....

I used to buy them, but now buy VP C10 by the 5 gal pail. Wonder if the pail is 5 gal or if there is 5 gal of fuel in it....

The small bottles are only 900 ml.

Happening to everything. Kingsford charcoal went from 20lbs to 18.6, many ice cream went to 3 pints....

I used to buy them, but now buy VP C10 by the 5 gal pail. Wonder if the pail is 5 gal or if there is 5 gal of fuel in it....
I've noticed a few craft beers are being sold in 11.2oz bottles. Sneaky fellers.

Besides increasing profits, toilet paper is pumped full of air because the public demands softness. Take the air out and sales decrease dramatically. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For people who only use a smallish amount per season, I think the various canned fuels are worth it. Usually it is the same folks whose two strokes never work after sitting up, then you have to factor in a trip to the shop, where the repair rate is dang close to the same it costs to get your ride worked on, and they get mad. How much did they "save" by using ethanol contaminated fuel then?

If you have to drive a way's to get bulk no ethanol, just make the trip worthwhile, if your vehicle burns gas, fill it up, and haul back a lot of five gallon cans or just buy a steel drum. I have one place near me that even has used clean steel drums right there if you want to buy bulk from them for non ethanol (fleet sales or one drum minimum). I know the labels and such on the smaller containers are screwy, but if I only used a few gallons a year, I would just buy the small cans, they are darn handy to pour from.

When I drive to go get 93 e-free now I get 12 gallons, two five gallon cans and one two gallon I mix right there at the pump, but I am contemplating just getting a drum now that I found this other place.

OK, so if you want ethanol free gas, buy it in whatever container size is most convenient. The packaging size BS, yeah, you're right. That is really lame.

But the thing that really struck me from your post: the idea of driving 45 minutes to buy gas! What is your time worth?!

A good question; I was wondering if someone would ask it. :)

It happens that the closest ethanol-free station to me is in Lake Geneva, WI. My wife likes the place, so we'd probably spend the afternoon there rather than just buy gas and come back. Wife happy, saws happy, win-win.

It doesn't say "1 gallon" anywhere on the label.
Some shops call it a gallon but that's just ignorance.
You're right, it doesn't. In fact, if you read carefully, it does say 110 ounces. But not everyone reads the whole label; they're counting on people grabbing "a gallon" and not noticing that it isn't.

If the intent isn't to mislead, then why not sell it in gallons? 110 ounces doesn't work out to an even amount in either measuring system. Nobody says, "I think I'm gonna head down to Home Depot and get me six and 7/8ths pints of chainsaw fuel."

Besides increasing profits, toilet paper is pumped full of air because the public demands softness. Take the air out and sales decrease dramatically. Go figure.
A fair point, but OTOH there's no public clamor to make it narrower. Yet it keeps getting skinnier.

I buy commercial paper* in cases of 96 rolls. They're wrapped heavy and tight, still 4.5" wide, and a case lasts us almost two years. I ran the numbers on that too (seeing a pattern here? :)) and we save more than half of the cost of buying retail.

*Boardwalk 6155, usually around $60/case delivered from Amazon.

The owner of my local Stihl shop told me TruFuel and Motomix don't actually have gasoline in them. According to him that is why they have a long shelf life. Anyone know what it actually is? He said it's more like 92 octane camp stove fuel.

The owner of my local Stihl shop told me TruFuel and Motomix don't actually have gasoline in them. According to him that is why they have a long shelf life. Anyone know what it actually is? He said it's more like 92 octane camp stove fuel.
Look up Aspen alkylate fuel it is the same as trufuel or motomix think of the product as synthetic gasoline.

Latest posts

Back