Trying to decide on 70cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester356

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at getting a Stihl 441 or 460, Husky 372 or a Dolmar 7900. Alot of people seem to like the Dolmar. Just wondering if the Dolmar has more vibration than the stihls and huskys?

Looking at getting a Stihl 441 or 460, Husky 372 or a Dolmar 7900. Alot of people seem to like the Dolmar. Just wondering if the Dolmar has more vibration than the stihls and huskys?

I personally own a 044 and a 372 and I consider them to be very much comparable in all respects, though the husky does like to shake a little more than the 044. I did get the chance to run a "warmed up" 7900 a few weeks ago and boy was it ever a nice saw. The only down side to the Dolmar is dealer support in my area, but that did not stop me from recently buying a 6400 that will eventually be converted to a 7900.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the choices of have listed. Go with the dealer with the best support in your area.

I have tow 044's, a 372, a 460, and a 7901. If I were to pick one it would be the 460 by far, second choice would be the 044/440. I'm going to port my 372xp since I'm not happy with it's stock performance. The 7901 has very good power but doesn't feel right to me and it doesn't have the torque of the 460. The 7901 seems better engineered to service than the Stihl or Husky, but not built as well to me least. It would be the first to go if I had to get rid of one of them.

A 7900 is hard to beat as far as power. Never worked with one so i don't know about that. They do have good AV, as good or better than the other brands. They do feel different in the hands to me but it's not anything bad, just different.

I would take a 460 as my second choice over a 7900 with a 372xpw being a very close third.

A few comments--more odds and ends than anything--

On paper the stihl ms 460 has the most vibrations. Having run all the saws you mention (and having owned a 372, 460 and a dolmar 7900) it also has the most vibrations in real life. It has rubber mounts while the others have the newer type spring mounts.

Of the remaining saws, the 441 is probably the smoothest. The 7900 and 372 are both very smooth. Anything with modern springs is smooth. In my experience the 576 is the smoothest saw I have run. But really, no spring AV saw is ever going to strike you as being a "rough" saw.

I think the choice really depends on your application. If you want a sweet ass saw to work a log pile, the 7900 is where it's at. If you're after felling and a real in the woods all day type worksaw, you might look at the other options.

The dolmar doesn't seem as robust to me. The most robust 70cc saws, in terms of get thrown around and take abuse type of robustness are the stihl 440 and 460. You can't deny that there is more metal on them in more places. Maybe I'm making a false assumption in that metal is more durable than plastic in some cases, but there is more metal. One example of this is the starter cover--the husky, dolmar covers are plastic, the stihl one is metal. That said, I've seen some of the thin strands of metal on the starter covers knocked out in the same way that plastic gets knocked out, so who knows if it is really better or more durable.

chances are you're going to be looking at a 372 x torque, which is the strato 372, but doesn't seem to have lost any performance. Unless you can find a dealer with old stock, but it doesn't seem like there's an particularly strong reason to do that. The husky seems to have a narrower power band, but rocks with a 20" bar for hardwoods. That is one of the best setups. And it's nice and light.

I currently have a 7900. My biggest beef with it is that because it's shaped like a space ship, it's harder to get good, accurate felling cuts. When I went to do some serious directional falling with it of pine trees along a river, that all had to go in very specific places, it was very tough getting the lines right. A squarer saw body definitely helps in this regard. The weight is also a little bit different that most of the other saws. Not quite sure how to explain it.

The price on the larger stihl saws has really really creeped up of late. Apparently, unless my local dealer did some photoshop, the price on a new ms 460 with a 20" or 24" bar is up to $969.

At that point i'd take that money over to a reasonable husky dealer and get a 390 xp.

Last edited:
You're gonna spend $900 give or take on any of the four saws you listed.

All four saws are very impressive and not one of them will let you down.

No matter which one you choose you will not be disappointed.

Now go spend $900 and cut some wood with your new saw.

I own 044's, a 372 (now ported), have owned a 441, and currently own a brace of 7900's.

441-very smooth but down on power and the heaviest.

044- light but down on power.

372-light, was down on power-no longer. Well ported it is hard to beat- smoother than the 044.

7900-a little heavier but the strongest and as smooth as the 441. I pulled a 64cc top-end and replaced it with a 79cc on Friday. It took 45 minutes including the time to cut an aluminum can gasket and a bathroom break. They are the best laid out saw.

All three manu's are good, and I would go with dealer support and personal feel preference there. I would take the 460 over a 441, it is worth the extra money.

A properly modded 441 CM is it for me. No other saw in the 70cc range, modded or not, has so many things going for it.

My opinion,

Sam

I have five 7900's and all are trouble free. What problems have you had?

Hard starting,ring getting stuck under pin in piston, pto bearing failures, hd air filter coming apart at the base, the mount for the clips in the air cover wearing out. Out of the box they would start on a !/2 pull after a month you would dred stopping to fill them up because you would never know if they would start again with out waiting 15 minutes. Logging hard enough without having to battle with asaw all day.

In my experience, I just bought a 441 about $780 w/25 inch B/C. the stihl dealers were willing to bargain and the husky dealers were not. I could not even look at the 372 or any 70cc husky saw, the dealers just will not carry one that big in my area. Since they have to order it they want full MSRP. They claim they never sell one. Can't sell one if you do not have one to sell.

This situation could easily be reversed in your area. Husky dealer fully stocked Stihl dealer not.

I would recommend going with the dealer who seems to be the best. One who has parts, has service and has saws.

You will be happy with any saw you get.

My 2 cents.

I have a new Solo 681. I love it. But, IMO, if I were you i would go with the Dolmar 7900. The first thing I did with my Solo 681 was buy the Dolmar 7900 AV mounts for it. Dolmar AV is a dream. Furthermore, IMO, I wouldnt worry so much if a dealer isnt close to you. You are using it for firewood, and I would just bet you will not have any problems with her. The 7900 is a very,very fast saw. I can attest to this by the way my 681 runs. Good luck man.

I would be looking real hard at the stihl MS441CM. For 40.00 bucks more than the plain 441 you get a lot in return. It's a bit stronger too.

Don't be afraid of the 7900... It is the "out of the box" speed king. I love mine. Smooth as silk and has been a dream to operate. in stock form, it'll hang with most ported 70cc saws... Maybe not beat em', but will hang with em'...:msp_wink:

Any of your choices are good ones. You did leave out one of my top picks with the 576. It's a real smooth saw with a little more power than a 372.

Latest posts

Back