TSC 22 Ton Log Splitter Engine Change - Briggs to Kohler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a FYI post regarding the change in TSC's 22 ton log splitter engine from a Briggs & Stratton to a Kohler.

Some background:

I had a 22 ton TSC log splitter with the vertical shaft Briggs engine and it was GREAT! I traded it for a garden tractor with a front end loader even-up, figuring I could go out and buy another log splitter anytime.

Last weekend I went to TSC to see about buying a new 22 ton log splitter. First thing I saw was the Kohler engine - looks to me like it is ultra EPA compliant and complicated compared to the Briggs. Second thing that really turned me off was the shaft and associated hardware coming from the engine to the pump was that there was no paint. Rust had formed on the shaft and castings - not good. Third thing I didn't like was the pump being remotely mounted and exposed to the weather. The one on the Briggs powered log splitter is under the engine, out of the weather and protected from damage. Fourth thing I like about the Briggs engine is - for me, it absolutely got the job done. Couldn't have asked more from a cheap engine. And speaking of cheap - that Briggs vertical shaft engine, when it goes south, is easy to replace for a low cost and easy to physically replacement too. Fifth - the Briggs has a plastic fuel tank, whereas the Kohler has a metal tank. No rust worries with the Briggs on the gas tank.

I called around and found the only remaining Briggs powered 22 ton log splitter around in my neck of the woods and bought it.

I'm sure in the end the Kohler engine will make for a good log splitter - just not for me.

Just some observations - YMMV!

Well, you lucked out twice, first sounds like a real good swap, then finding the last of the better designed splitters.

It would be nice if TSC could sell the splitter w/o a motor, although it would probably not reduce the price by very much. :rolleyes:
I wonder if someone could sell the brand new kohler motor for enough cash to replace it with a HF clone or similar?

Back