TSC not selling Oregon anymore or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
So I went into my nearest TSC the other day to pick up a gallon of bar and chain oil, and I could not help but notice all of the Oregon bars, chains, and sprockets missing from the wall and some "County Lines" or something like that brand in their place. I did not think to much of it and left. Later last week I stopped over to a buddy of mines to pick up a carb kit. He is a professional chain sharpener and told me that the new branded bars at TSC are junk. Said a friend of his bought one and within 30 seconds his sprocket on the bar locked. Had to take it back and get another one. Nothing was said on how long that one lasted. For some odd reason it makes me wonder why the big box stores such as TSC have to do this? Oregon is a good product at a reasonable price. This surely is gonna hurt Oregon if all the stores are switching.

All of the chain and bars are Chinese made rebranded Tri-Link stuff from what I saw at my local TSC.

They are also dropping the Husqvarna brand handheld stuff for Jonsered.

They'll be carrying virtually the same models as before but in red.

I was at walmart today and saw Oregon bars/chains sold there.:msp_blink: I don't know whats going on. Farm store losing Oregon. general merchandiser picking up Oregon. soon you'll get your stihl parts at walmart and you wont be able to even order a fence post at farm stores!

What a bold move, sounds like someone in the marketing dept was bored.

All of the chain and bars are Chinese made rebranded Tri-Link stuff from what I saw at my local TSC.

Jonsered? What is Jonsered doing there? I figured they'd do away with Husky ever since Husky bought out the McCulloch name. If anything it seems like Husky will go back to the dealers (where they deserve to be) and the McCulloch's will be on TSC's and Sears's shelves. Anyway's makes me sick to see a the good American brand Oregon get thrown to the side like that. I looked it up and they are both about the same price.

Was at my local Wallyworld yesterday and they just had that Poulan lumpy link safety chain in 3/8" lo pro. Didn't look like they have stocked up for spring yet. They dropped Oregon here a couple of years ago. Picked up a few 2 packs of S62 at clearance at that time. Think it worked out to $6.25 a loop.

I'm sure that the accountants at TSC saw the Tri-chink is a little less $, or has a better markup, and switched. That is the same brand of chain that Home Despot was selling and is also the same(logo on links) as sold by Stens under the Silver Streak name. I have a loop of the Stens chain, and it seemed to stretch pretty quickly.

the 18" bar and chain was $26. never saw i poulan chain, just a couple of green 14" bars

btw.... my tri link chain stretched so much I had 17" bar on my echo

Last edited:
I was at walmart today and saw Oregon bars/chains sold there.:msp_blink: I don't know whats going on. Farm store losing Oregon. general merchandiser picking up Oregon. soon you'll get your stihl parts at walmart and you wont be able to even order a fence post at farm stores!

TSC doesn't qualify as a farm store in my book, just another place for the rural yuppies to shop and feel more "country".

the 18" bar and chain was $26. never saw i poulan chain, just a couple of green 14" bars

btw.... my tri link chain stretched so much I had 17" bar on my echo
You might want to make sure your oiler is working properly - chain doesn't really stretch so much as it wears at the link pivots. I have a loop of the Tri Link Lo Pro I got while waiting for my WoodlandPro to arrive, and it works fine. I had to set the angles properly (they were at about 40[SUP]o[/SUP]) and file the depth gauges and those large ramps down, but that is not uncommon with new chains.

TSC doesn't qualify as a farm store in my book, just another place for the rural yuppies to shop and feel more "country".

LOL, I tend to agree with that statement. But, I would rather see a TSC store going in, than another bed & bath design store. :dizzy: Now days most of what I buy there is bar oil, and some odds & ends from the hardware section. Did get a 6volt bat. for my old N tractor there. ;)

I use to get some farm related stuff there when I was still farming. Like plow shares, cultivator points & sweeps, etc. But, I think mostly back when it was a Quality Farm & Fleet store. They went out of business and TSC took over.

These days I think they mostly cater to the rural yuppies, like you say. Lots of dog food & horse stuff, gardening etc. Still, its one of the few stores I don't mind walking into. Them and Rural King. Just wish there was one a little closer to me.

:cheers:
Gregg,

They're going to make more money on that chinese countryline crap...that's why they switched

Everyone needs to understand with stores like this there's no loyalty to suppliers, especially when they don't think that it's going to be a deal breaker with their customers.

In fact I think most of the time I think they have it in the back of their head to grow and make as many private labels as possible.

Even if you look at home depot, the number, complexity, etc of products available as their "workforce" products is higher than it ever was.

You might want to make sure your oiler is working properly - chain doesn't really stretch so much as it wears at the link pivots. I have a loop of the Tri Link Lo Pro I got while waiting for my WoodlandPro to arrive, and it works fine. I had to set the angles properly (they were at about 40[SUP]o[/SUP]) and file the depth gauges and those large ramps down, but that is not uncommon with new chains.
I was just stretching the truth :smile2: about my loose tri link chain:msp_biggrin: it did find its happy place, but seemed to loosen up alot and quick, but it seems to work ok now, i learned to file it after I hit a rock on a big wood cutting job. its on the pp260 now with the echo bar (57 link) it oils ok. i noticed with 3 hits with the file on tank fill ups i still am ok on the rakers. one tooth is kinda poopy but it still cuts pretty good

The Poulan branded bars are Oregon. I picked up an 18" Lo Pro B&C combo with a Poulan Pro branded Oregon bar with Carlton N1CBL (has the ramped drive links) for a very good price.

I ordered a lpx? oregon chain for my pp5020av and a 3/8 low pro lpx chain for my 16" oregon bar on my echo,
the guy only charged me 13 bucks for the little chain, he said it will cut good. im gonna be careful because im afraid it will kick back easyer :msp_scared:
the regular chain that came with the bar seems to cut pretty good.

I ordered a lpx? oregon chain for my pp5020av and a 3/8 low pro lpx chain for my 16" oregon bar on my echo,
the guy only charged me 13 bucks for the little chain, he said it will cut good. im gonna be careful because im afraid it will kick back easyer :msp_scared:
the regular chain that came with the bar seems to cut pretty good.

It will only kick back pretty much if you hit the tip of the bar and a solid object. So pretty much watch where the upper tip of your bar is and you will be fine. I have been using old saws for years with big fat bars, non safety chain, and no chain brake's for years and I have never got hurt...because I pay attention to where the end of the bar is at.

Who makes the Poulan branded chain?

I looked again today at Walmart. Both the Poulan Pro and the Universal chain say Husqvarna Professional Products, Charlottesville NC. Assembled in the USA. The rack is full, so the Oregon brand must be regional.

Latest posts

Back