TSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The county line and huskee splitters are of great quality. Don't let anyone tell you their not

Then go spend your money on a high dollar one that does the same thing as the cheaper ones. Sounds like a great business model.
Do you have a point to this post? Mine had absolutely nothing(zero) reference to business and or business models.
And, BTW. . . If I had, or needed a business plan.... It would be of the "work smarter and not harder" type. Somehow the cheapest most cost cutting machine would not and does not fit into that workflow.
Best of luck your strong back business plan. Does your plan include workmans comp, health, and disability insurance? Because with a splitter like the one referenced above your gonna need it.

Do you have a point to this post? Mine had absolutely nothing(zero) reference to business and or business models.
And, BTW. . . If I had, or needed a business plan.... It would be of the "work smarter and not harder" type. Somehow the cheapest most cost cutting machine would not and does not fit into that workflow.
Best of luck your strong back business plan. Does your plan include workmans comp, health, and disability insurance? Because with a splitter like the one referenced above your gonna need it.
So what is so bad about them I use mine commercially and have absolutely no complaints it's one of the better built pieces of equipment I've got

There is relevance to everything. Your insinuation that a County Line 22 Tonner, or any other splitter, will end up causing injury is purely speculative. The tools of one's trade, is dictated by, amongst other things, the amount of work expected out of them. I'm a homeowner. My home heating wood splitter is a 27 Ton Cub Cadet. Granted, there are better out there, but it is beyond serviceable for my 5 cord/year needs. I also use Professional style Stihl saws for the most part, in a CC class that nicely accommodates 18"-20" bars. It's simply all I need. Relevance.... a 1 cord per year part-time wood patty-caker, can certainly get away with using a "Homeowner" style Stihl saw... or any other.... and expect to not get hurt from using it because it's not a $1,000 saw ?

Having a less expensive splitter doesn't necessarily raise your risk of injury. Honestly I would think overall the super split/kinetic models are more dangerous than a hydraulic model and they certainly aren't cheaper. Overall all the hydraulic splitters would all seem to have the same risk of injury unless you're comparing models with a log lift which really aren't going to be in the same ball park.

I sense some pot stirring going on...:)

Sure it does. . . you just need to pull your head outta your butt to see the risks.
I'd like to know the risks. I feel completely the opposite.
I've had roughly 5 of the huskee 22 tons over the last decade. Injury free. I have alot of different clowns running my splitters. The huskee is pretty dummy proof. down, up, watch your fingers.
I finally upgraded to a bigger splitter w/ log lift, 4 way, auto split/retract feature.

my guys had roughly 4 to 5 hand, finger injuries in the first year I owned it. Alot more moving parts. alot more to pay attention to.
I sold it earlier this summer and went back to the huskees.

The only way to really prevent the manual labor and/or potential injury of splitting wood is to just up grade all the way to a processor.

I'd like to know the risks. I feel completely the opposite.
I've had roughly 5 of the huskee 22 tons over the last decade. Injury free. I have alot of different clowns running my splitters. The huskee is pretty dummy proof. down, up, watch your fingers.
I finally upgraded to a bigger splitter w/ log lift, 4 way, auto split/retract feature.

my guys had roughly 4 to 5 hand, finger injuries in the first year I owned it. Alot more moving parts. alot more to pay attention to.
I sold it earlier this summer and went back to the huskees.

The only way to really prevent the manual labor and/or potential injury of splitting wood is to just up grade all the way to a processor.

That would be my expectation. The most injuries I could see with a log splitter are potential back injuries from lifting and pinch point injuries from being careless. No matter how expensive a log splitter is or the quality those potentials are going to be there.

Last, I can see a small risk of a ruptured hydraulic hose and hot oil but if you wear some safety glasses the risk of serious harm is pretty minimal even if a hose were to rupture. Honestly though, how often do you see hydraulics rupture? Generally hoses and fittings start to leak well before catastrophic failure.

I split and sell roughly 200 to 300 ricks a year. So roughly 60 to 100 cord. I've been splitting and selling wood for roughly 15 years. Me and my brothers and assorted helpers. No exploding hoses, we split vertically with the huskees so no lifting, just roll the logs to the splitter. Get a good bucket/log to sit on and get busy.

All's I know for sure is this is what happens when you pin your pinky between the big cast steel plate and a piece of wood on a Speeco 35 ton...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415921875915.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415921875915.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 30
All's I know for sure is this is what happens when you pin your pinky between the big cast steel plate and a piece of wood on a Speeco 35 ton...

Ow! That is why I'm very careful about pinch points with my splitter. Worst I've had is bruised shins from pieces falling off of the splitter.

Nothing wrong with the huskee's. Own two 35 ton splitters. One is prolly 12 years old and the other about 6. Somehow ripped the foot plate off the older one and got pissed so I bought a new one. Had a buddy weld it back up a few weeks later and now I got one running vertical breaking the big pieces into manageable size and the other one doing the smaller stuff. I split about 50 cord a year with them and they always start easy( unless I leave them out overnight when it's - something god awful cold)

Nothing wrong with the huskee's. Own two 35 ton splitters. One is prolly 12 years old and the other about 6. Somehow ripped the foot plate off the older one and got pissed so I bought a new one. Had a buddy weld it back up a few weeks later and now I got one running vertical breaking the big pieces into manageable size and the other one doing the smaller stuff. I split about 50 cord a year with them and they always start easy( unless I leave them out overnight when it's - something god awful cold)
How in the world did you rip the foot plate off that splitter?

Back