Tune Saw = 14 stitches (graphic) OucH !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky

I have a pair of Carhart double front pants with a patch in that same spot. I missed my leg, not even a scratch. (I was Scared to look though). It didn't even slow the saw down. I shut down the job and went and bought safety chaps right then. I have not run my saw with out them since then.

When I brought the pants to have the patch sewed on the lady said "Chain saw eh, Hows the leg?"

Thats when I coined my motto seen below. It is not ment as an insult to any one, just a reminder to myself.

Could have been a lot worse.

You are lucky. Had a friend a few years ago cut himself badly and opened his femoral artery with a little Homelite 150. He damn near died from that little cut. I am a weekend firewood cutter for personal use as here in Colorado, the cost of propane is really getting to be a pain in the wallet. I ware a helmet, face shield, and ear protection especially with running that
C-5 Homelite. Have not invested in chaps yet. Guess I better get to thinking seriously about it.

Dont think about it. Do it. the $50 or $75 you spend is cheap compared to your life, or loss of your leg, or even an emergency room visit.

Looks like you will be ok. You are a lucky man !!! I'll have a beer or two this evening celebrating your good fortune. Wear them dam chaps !!!!!!!!:givebeer: :givebeer:

Good god,

You had to get drunk and take pain killers for that scratch??????

What would you do had you been injured??

:ices_rofl:

Sam

Really, what's up with that? Emergency room??? A couple of butterfly stitches (stick-ons) would have closed that!
Most likely, since this happened in the back yard, alcohol was already involved!

OUCH!!!

guilty of cutting a few piece of wood too long for stove today... without chaps. almost never cut without safety gear.

Very convenient to "forget" the safety gear for such small jobs......:taped:

Pile it up for a day you have the gear on anyway.

Last edited:
Most likely, since this happened in the back yard, alcohol was already involved!
I have a 75 kawasaki 900, 1075 BB kit smooothbore carbs geared. wicked fast. My buds like to bar hop on the bikes I don't. I wear a helmet gloves etc. I like to go fast,No Fear :rock: . I have a 65 corvette that you would probable crap your pants in if I took you for a ride in :D
My longtime GF is a ICU nurse. Trust me safety is always an issue with my crazy hobbys. But alot of accidents including automobiles happen at or near your home.

Last edited:
No need to point fingers, as an injury can happen to anyone. Being careless for a second can cause serious damage. We have all been there, it's human!

Sorry to hear about your accident, but in the end you were lucky after all ...;)

I've grazed my legs a couple times in my chaps, not enough to get into the filling, just close enough to fray the outer cordura a bit.

Had a buddy of mine bump his knee with his 290 just enough to let the red juice out without needing stitches. He wouldn't look down. Just asked me how bad it was.. LOL

Ian

glad it was not worse. thanks for the reminder to wear mine!

Well...My 460 has been running rich,, was cutting the other day and my brother said the saw did not sound right. It was burbling through the cuts. I'm real f!@*&$ up now so bear with me. So I had my buddy come over today with his tach and we messed with the saw. Not sure what happened but we tach it and cut a few times. Next thing you know my leg is ripped open.
Never felt it just noticed the blood. Off to the emegancy room. 14 stitches. After stopping for the prescription for pain (norco) took a few of them, plus stopped by local gin mill had to kill the pain with some beers. I'm back home.
I guess it is wise to were chaps even if your meesing around in the back yard. i do alot of crazy S$!t with hotrod cars and fast ass motorcycles. been screwing around with chainsaws for 4-5 years. Hopefully my last incident.Heres a pic.
stich002.jpg

Little keep sake of blood on the saw
stich003.jpg

Is that the left leg or the right leg?

close

Wow that could have been a lot worse. I have never cut myself to where blood flowed, but one time I slipped and the old Homy Zip cut the jeans on my upper leg, went through the long johns, and put one of those scratches on my leg that turned red, but no seep through. Been thinking about chaps since I got on AS, now is time to do something. All of you that have experience with chaps, what do you recommend? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but it seems like a good place for some info from those with knowledge. Good luck and heal up soon. JR

Hey THALL Left leg,tach'n saw I'm sure you can figure it out

jra1100, stihl makes a good chap. Matter of fact I have a pair. They were about 30 feet away in the garage when the accident happened. Won't happen again. Site sponsor Labonville has a good selection. Buy them Today!
http://www.labonville.com.

jra1100, stihl makes a good chap. Matter of fact I have a pair. They were about 30 feet away in the garage when the accident happened. Won't happen again. Site sponsor Labonville has a good selection. Buy them Today!

Yup, thought so. That left leg right above the knee seems to catch 99.9% of all chainsaw cuts. Thats a scratch though. I got 65 stitches in mine,LOL

Now I am picturing you sitting down with the saw in your lap.
I am 99% sure this picture is wrong but that is what I am seeing. :buttkick:

Help me get a better view of this picture. :popcorn:

Gregz did it

Gregz: Thanks man, your post made me get off my dead azz and order a pair of chainsaw chaps from Labonville. I had thought about it a lot, and visited the site several times, but never bought them. It seems there are several threads about this today, one of them is Engtex vs Kevlar, post number 7 has a movie that show very graphically what can happen. Thanks to you, Ray Bennett and the movie that GrapeJape posted I have chaps on the way. Good on ya, your getting some rep. JR

I have a class A cdl license(union teamster) and take random drug test so I have to take advanage of the scratch :)

Very lucky, and yup, my one and only cs nick is right there too, about the same size 'cept they only threw (literally) in 7 stitches, only pain was when they cut off the ragged edges (no local, bastads), went back to work half an hour later (hanging head fer shame and dumbness).

:cheers: and wearing chaps should not be an option!

Serge

Well guys after veiwing some of the posted pics I finally ordered some chaps from labonville . I got the green ones with full wrap and they got a sale goin on right now 10% off. I have been wanting a pair for quite some time and 60 some bucks sure would be alot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room or worse. He11 4 or 5 years ago i had to go in and get some stitches , 500 bucks for five stitches i cant imagine what 100 stitches would cost? I think the chaps i ordered will be a good investment.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back