Tune ups at your local shops?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BostonBull said:
The 200T kits I have in the shop are part number... 0000 007 1081 I believe I can check tomorrow if I remember. I am 99% sure these had jets in them and a low speed needle.

If they had needles they were just to update carbs to a later tech update - not general purpose kits.

Lakeside53 said:
If they had needles they were just to update carbs to a later tech update - not general purpose kits.

Thanks!! that helps. Like I said we arent even a year old yet so I am still trying to figure things out.

Urbicide said:
If it has a spark plug it will work. However, the SenDec tach Bailey's sells is designed primarily for high reving 2-cycle engines. For a 4-cycle engine you would have to multiply the reading by 2 since the plug is only fired every other stroke. You can buy tachs that do have switchable settings (2 stroke vs. 4 stroke) but they will probably run a little more. :chainsaw:

Just to let you know, a lot of new 4-stroke engines fire every revolution. It's called lost spark. Old kohler engines with points ignition are an exception but most new engines fire every revolution and wireless tachometers take this into account.

Urbicide said:
Hi Mike. I have some hearing lose at varying frequencies and have a hard time trying to hear the changes in sound on the Madsen's wav file. I talked myself into buying a tachometer to set my carbs with. Just a small adjustment can radically affect your saw. Maybe good, maybe bad. On saws with limiter coils you definetly need a tachometer to keep from leaning out the saw. You look at the display on the tach and you read a number, no guessing at a sound you may be unsure of. Here is a tach to look at. I have one and it works great. Good luck. Vince:chainsaw:
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1112?mv_session_id=qtn9tC8p&product_sku=17122

Howdy Urbicide,

Wow, I to have some hearing loss. I guess I never thought about it, some things I hear pretty good others not so good. I guess I should probably get one of those tachs. Thanks Urbicide.

v/r
Mike

labor

Man, we got to raise our rates!
40 an hour, I usually charge a minimum 20, unless it was super simple and quick, then it varies from 0 to 10 bucks.

As for the cheapo saws, I throw in a plug and fuel filter, unless it is a Minimac, and see what happens. Give a quick diagnosis, and stop. Call the customer and see how much they want to spend. Saves having bucks in a saw that will never leave.

Stihltech.

We are at $50.00 an hour, should be $55.00 in 2007. I have one of the lowest hourly rates in my area. I spend weeks out of the year putting together an analysis of business costs and increases in cost of doing business to determine our hourly rate. If the books don't warrant an increase, we keep it the same.

If you're wondering: we built our own shop, own the land and don't pay interest on equipment. We also do a lot of pre-planning for large orders to take advantage of discounts. Case in point: $2,000 in saw chain + bars in 1 order.

I usually pull the mufflers on the pull-ons and cheapo saws. Seems that they expect you to do that and planned for it...they are so darn easy to remove. If that looks good and i can pull over compression then i'll actually look into making the saw run.

Since you guys were talking about carb kits and things, I priced a carb kit on this homelite blower that has a Walbro carb at around $40.00. Two different places same price.
What gives? Its a dumpster diving special but I believe will run well with new kit.

gumneck said:
Since you guys were talking about carb kits and things, I priced a carb kit on this homelite blower that has a Walbro carb at around $40.00. Two different places same price.
What gives? Its a dumpster diving special but I believe will run well with new kit.

We pay about $4.50 for them. Even "retail" they are less than $12. You must have priced the entire carb.

Ok, just wanted to complete my part in this thread. Took all the plastic casing off the homelite blower, cleaned grease,grass, leaves, dead grasshoppers, and dirt out of it. Noticed a slight wiggle in the cylinder(THANKS STIHLTECH!!). Tightened it up, retapped one thread put it back together and wouldn't you know it, runs terrific.

This was a trash can find right down the street. I'd take it back to the people if it weren't so dirty. Shame on them!!

Latest posts

Back