Tunes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored a job because of the worktunes, I'll tell you how.

I was up in an oak last Winter, it was about 4 degrees F, I couldn't get a ground guy to work, I'm way up there and the wind was blowing. It was really cold. The radio station was having a contest, who's got the worst outdoor job? Guys were callin in, "I'm a UPS driver. I've gotta get out of the truck to bring the package to the door." I'm thinkin, you frickin poozie. The mailmen, yea they have to walk their route, but 60 or 70 feet up in this crazy wind, normally ideal, but not so much at 25 below windchill.

I didn't have a cell phone on me, but I can guarantee I would have won that contest had I been able to call in.

Anyway the dude who won was a plumber who had to crawl into a crawlspace to fix a burst pipe. He was laying in wet mud that was freezing as he wiggled around in it. I only think I won because I was six hours in this canopy, but really having a good time. Anyway the plumber's prize was he got to name the next song to be played on the radio. He chose Supertramp's "Give a little bit".

One thing that's nice about working in the deep freeze is that there is NO ONE out and about outside. I took the liberty to sing "Give a little bit" at the top of my lungs.

During cleanup, the next door neighbor opens her back door, holding a steaming hot cup of cocoa, waving me over. Of course, I dropped what I was doing. She says, "So, I cracked open my front door to get my mail and heard you wailing out back, I thought you were hurt." I said, "I wasn't, but now I am." We laughed. She hired me to do her trees.

Thus, the story of how the Worktunes scored me a tree job.

Then this is the radio headset for you.

attachment.php

I have heard this type of hearing protection called 'voice attenuation'. 3M calls it 'ambient listening capability'. Basically, these little foam looking thingies at the lower part of ear cup, those are little microphones.

See on the rear of the right cup? There are two dial-knobs. One is on-off / volume for the FM radio. The other is the ambient sound amplification.
This feature allows the outside sound to be captured and pumped into the speakers of your ear cups. Turning the dial further, you actually amplify the sounds of the surroundings. Quiet things like rustling of limbs, distant traffic, jingling caribiners, an idling chainsaw get amplified.
When ambient noise levels reach the level of whatever decibel, like a running chainsaw, or chipper, the ambient listening capability cuts out, leaving you just the hearing protection + music if you're listening.

You can turn the noise feature on; up full-amp, or off, or somewhere in between. You can turn the FM radio on, control it's volume, and you can use both of these features together or either independently. You can have one on, both on or neither. It's really a fun headset, kinda pricey though.

Note that there is no digital preset feature for the FM. This model still has the rotary dial. Personally, I find the knob uniquely tasteful and functional. LOL

Now, my boy slide EMINEM's new CD in the truck. I am not a fan of rap, but that guy is unbelievable! some of the songs are the same ol same ol from him, but a couple off them are really, really good.

AND I CANT GET THEM OUTA MY HEAD!!

"you get no laaaove, laaaove, no love, no love, YOU GET NO LOVE"
Has been in my head for 2 days, got break out the Pantera!
Rush would be good to..............................
I fixed me! now I am singing Tom Sawyer in the head
dodododododo dodododododo, ya know the drum solo with the organ
thanks for helping
your welcome
this is getting weird

Try to get this lyric out of your head

The first line to Rush's "Closer to the Heart"

From the men who go high places
A tree's the place to start
You go into the canopy
Closer to the bark

Group, :yourock: