Tunes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today I dropped a DED elm and cleaned up a White Oak that had a broken and hung up top. While doing this I wore my work tunes ear protection woven through the headgear of my Husky helmet. I really liked jammin to the classic rock while scaling the Oak. I wondered if I am the only one?:rockn:

I don't do that. But I do keep an inexpensive harmonica in my line mug so I can do a blues riff or two on occasion. Check ouut my handy work on you tube, under "Tree needs a climbin". Enjoy.

I wear atrio M8's under my muffs. They give about as much isolation as plane earplugs by themselves, so with the muffs you're very well protected and dont need to crank it too loud to be able to hear a lot of detail. They're a bit pricey, but a great bargain compared to etymotics or shures. you'll cry less when you break them ;) My last pair got through 3 years of motorbike riding, working in mines, welding, grinding, floor sanding and tree felling. They were used almost daily and I never babied them or put them in a case. The buds are critical as the fit changes the sound. I use the yellow earplug type buds for them because the silicone ones just didnt fit at all.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/future-sonics-atrio-m8/4505-7877_7-32456901.html#reviewPage1

Shaun

Peltor worktunes for me and my two empoylees every day. Makes draging brush less boring. Only execption for wearing them is under technichal work, where communication is essential. Helmets get changesd to the ones with Peltor Lite Com 3.

i was given a set to trial by a client, they had the radio and a blue tooth connection for my mobile.

they were fricken awesome when driving the digger, id hit the button flip micro phone around and chat on the fone while operating.

when it came time for using the chain saw, no way, i like to hear what my saw is doing, when its running low on gas or how sharp the chain is, i pick alot of that up through the note of the engine

I'm on my 6th pair of radio earmuffs, i use them for everything even mowing the lawn. I really wish that for the 60.00 to 90.00 that you pay for them they would stand up to a little more abuse. Also i've had the ones that have rechargeable batteries in them, that was handy. You go though quite a lot of batteries with the peltors.
It would rock if apple came out with a indestructible I-pod ear muff configuration.
They could call it the I-MUFF :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm on my 6th pair of radio earmuffs, i use them for everything even mowing the lawn. I really wish that for the 60.00 to 90.00 that you pay for them they would stand up to a little more abuse. Also i've had the ones that have rechargeable batteries in them, that was handy. You go though quite a lot of batteries with the peltors.
It would rock if apple came out with a indestructible I-pod ear muff configuration.
They could call it the I-MUFF :hmm3grin2orange:

My new muffs have the I-pod adapter plug.

I tried the Stihl radio muffs at $90 and took them back for the Peltors. 2nd set of Peltors for me, light and comfortable. Seems like this new digital set doesn't have enough volume though. One nice thing about the new ones is that I don't bump the station dial and can pre program my settings. Sometimes I still hit the volume by accident.

One thing I will say is that listening to the radio while drowning out the hum (woodsplitter, mower, bobcat, chainsaw, chipper) adds up to less stress on your body at the end of the day. That is priceless in itself, well actually it'll cost ya $50-100$, lol.

Last edited:
My new muffs have the I-pod adapter plug.

I tried the Stihl radio muffs at $90 and took them back for the Peltors. 2nd set of Peltors for me, light and comfortable. Seems like this new digital set doesn't have enough volume though. One nice thing about the new ones is that I don't bump the station dial and can pre program my settings. Sometimes I still hit the volume by accident.

One thing I will say is that listening to the radio while drowning out the hum (woodsplitter, mower, bobcat, chainsaw, chipper) adds up to less stress on your body at the end of the day. That is priceless in itself, well actually it'll cost ya $50-100$, lol.

I tried the Ipod the other day loading logs. I ripped it out after a few minutes and threw it in the bushes. Its a must for splitting though. I used to ride a bicycle in city traffic with my Walkman splitting my ears open but eevn that was a pain sometimes.

Once I decided to climb a tree with the phones on. It was a very tall and big spruce. It could have been dropped but with 4 or five of us we decided to keep the area contained. I went up to skin it with the chipper right underneath, everything could be dropped and I made a point to flip each branch towards the chipper proper. Perfect rock and roll scene and I could hear my 20 just fine.
I know sometimes you are in a tree and need some great giant blast of rock to the head not just the crackle of the one speaker in the tree truck. I was such a lush I drove my own truck, I won't go into details but you could here us coming. Gotta have The Rock!
I have been in situations where The Rock was needed for all , we were null and void about to keel. I sung the first phrase of Black Cow, it seemed to work, saved us all.

Once I decided to climb a tree with the phones on. It was a very tall and big spruce. It could have been dropped but with 4 or five of us we decided to keep the area contained. I went up to skin it with the chipper right underneath, everything could be dropped and I made a point to flip each branch towards the chipper proper. Perfect rock and roll scene and I could hear my 20 just fine.
I know sometimes you are in a tree and need some great giant blast of rock to the head not just the crackle of the one speaker in the tree truck. I was such a lush I drove my own truck, I won't go into details but you could here us coming. Gotta have The Rock!
I have been in situations where The Rock was needed for all , we were null and void about to keel. I sung the first phrase of Black Cow, it seemed to work, saved us all.

I can almost hear the bong gurgling with that post dano...

It would be a pretty foolish way to go in my opinion, bleeding from head on sidewalk, "work tunes" thrown in bushes by the fall.. I'm not feeling it!

I love music but I very much dislike being disconnected from the sounds of my work. I really get into music and it can be a major distraction. Also, if I'm not really listening to it.......it's just noise.

:agree2:
Love to jam da metal
Not when working tho, I like being able to hear everything on the job. My kids use the I-Pods when splitting, they wont split without them!

Lowe's generally has the lowest prices @$49.99.

Years ago I was pitching an idea to A-O Safety / Peltor (now 3-M) and my idea was the worktunes headset with a button that would interfere with the FM signal of any nearby worktunes.

We affectionately termed this 'musicus interruptus'. The thought was even if you and your crew were working in a high-noise environment and everyone was cranking out the ..... Mozart.... a 'click-click' would let a man know his attention is needed.

Initially I was pitching 'MusiCom', a worktunes set that had communication ability, but when told it would be ~$600 per unit and would have to be purchased two to a set, on behalf of you guys, I said our industry would not pay that. A whistle is cheaper.

I said that it is almost of equal value to cut into a guy's music (or into his silence if the volume were all the way down), and that a simple 'click' into his ears was truly enough.

This was at the time when the Worktunes had two rotary dials, one next to the other. You never knew which was on/off-volume and which was tuning. I suggested a tuning dial, bigger around, with three indents to correspond to your thumb, index and middle finger if they are all pressed together. Surprisingly, they went with it, and it looked like the following.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Much to my surprise, they actually listened and acted. This prompted the MusiCom, and subsequently musicus interruptus idea.

At this point I was introduced to a new products engineer, took him out for a beer and to discuss the idea. This was in mid 2002.

My first pitch was to move out of this analog/ dial technology and go with digital presets and a visible station indicator, then incorporate an XM selector for you cats out there in the middle of nowhere. The on/off button pressed in and held for 1 second would turn the unit on and off. A quick press would give a 'click' interrupt to the music to other headsets.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

In 2004, these came out. Most of you will know them as the current ones with the yellow cups.
attachment.php

No XM or musicus interruptus.

However, they were a design improvement over previous models.

Last edited:
Then about a year later they finally went digital, the only knob being on/off - volume. Digital presets and LED indicators were current technology on all other electronics, so if anything I could be credited for would be just putting some fire under their azzes to improve their relic model into something of the current state.

I tried, guys. I really did.

They have a whole lineup now, and can be viewed here.

You might see the phrase, "Many communication options can also be combined with a sound system such as an FM radio."
This simply means there is an MP3 input jack and / or is bluetooth-enabled, but you would have to incorporate an external device.

3M/Peltor have all these different hearing/communication solutions, but none that internally incorporate communication with music. You would need to carry an FM player on you and plug it into your communication headset. Wires don't do so well climbing trees.

Ultimately, I failed. Once 3-M took over A-O Safety / Peltor, they fired all my managers and contacts and replaced them with their 3-M managers. I'd sunk several years into developing something and it looked like I would have to start over fresh with people I didn't know. I hadda let it go. It was a formidable try, but the result was -z e r o-. :cry:

Latest posts

Back