Turd Polishing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like some metal was removed in the second image. Top fins look thinner.

As previously mentioned, I'd get a couple different size small wire wheels and go at it with that.

If you rush it you'll lose a lot more material than you should have. Wrong media, too much pressure, too long on the same spot.. bad bad bad.

A more sane alternative is an ultrasonic bath, some big car shops will have one specially those involved in rebuilding engines

Looks like some metal was removed in the second image. Top fins look thinner.

As previously mentioned, I'd get a couple different size small wire wheels and go at it with that.

If you are talking a out my post, the fin dimensions are unchanged. That is less than 3 minutes in a blast cabinet. I work inside of .001" regularly. A wire wheel will remove 100 times the amount of material glass bead blasting will. The only thing a wire wheel is used on in our shop is heavy scale/rust removal. Glass bead blasting is used for all precision work in the electrical and gearcase rebuild shops.

Edit: After further examination, those are two different cylinders that I was working on at the same time. The top one is a Stihl, the lower one is a Mahle. This would account for the difference in fin appearance.

Last edited:
Glass bead blast.

066 cylinder by zweitakt250, on Flickr

attachment.php

Working in a heavy equipment rebuild shop I get to polish turds all the time..;)

John, it looks like you got a little aggressive and blasted the decomp plug to smithereens.

Ditto on the glass beading (spent some in a steering gear rebuild shop)
Just Would want to see how the bonding of magnets looked.
maybe put a couple layers of tape or something on the laminations
and then snug up the flywheel nut, then turn engine to see if any of them scrape.
?*might* indicate a bit of festering behind one.

Latest posts

Back