Turning A Stihl 038 Into A Ported 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I have a couple extra WJ-69's here if your serious.

I'm always serious except when I'm kidding and stuff. :)

I'll be looking at it closely later today.......no telling what we will come up with. Lee (the owner) sent me an email saying he can get a new M2 carb.

:msp_rolleyes:
Let me know, still have a pile of carbs. A couple Bings to boot.

038 MAG II is a great saw !!

Waiting to see how this turns out.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:msp_rolleyes:
Let me know, still have a pile of carbs. A couple Bings to boot.

038 MAG II is a great saw !!

Waiting to see how this turns out.:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Just for comparison we can pull a freshly rebuilt Bing off of our Mag 2. I may just do that so Lee will see how much difference a carb can make.

Just for comparison we can pull a freshly rebuilt Bing off of our Mag 2. I may just do that so Lee will see how much difference a carb can make.

Money spent on a new M2 carb would be a waste, given the history of your work and what I'm guessing you will do to this one.

On a another note I found a right angle attachment for the Foredom while digging through some boxes looking for another handpiece, it's made for polishing. Runs in and out instead of spinning. Swedish make. Any use for it?
Any time I go looking for stuff, something unusual always pops up.

On a another note I found a right angle attachment for the Foredom while digging through some boxes looking for another handpiece, it's made for polishing. Runs in and out instead of spinning. Swedish make. Any use for it?
Any time I go looking for stuff, something unusual always pops up.

That sounds really interesting. I would find some use for it. :msp_thumbup:

I'll have your 066 jug done today.....it's number is up finally.

What are the plans for the clearance problem with the cyl bolt heads?

I dremeled out some of the jug, others have turned down the bolt heads.

Also, it helps if you open up the holes in the cyl fins so the T27 will get to the bolts easier.

Want to see the muffler too, I am sure it will be better than the DP I opened up:smile2:

What are the plans for the clearance problem with the cyl bolt heads?

I dremeled out some of the jug, others have turned down the bolt heads.

Also, it helps if you open up the holes in the cyl fins so the T27 will get to the bolts easier.

Want to see the muffler too, I am sure it will be better than the DP I opened up:smile2:

I turned down the bolt heads a little......it went together slick as a whistle. On the muffler the saw was sporting a dual port cover so I just opened the factory outlet in the muffler shell about twice as larger as stock and widened the inlet to match the jug. Nuttin fancy.

Our favorite chimp, would a Bing from an 064 work? Those are fairly plentiful......

It's doing pretty good with the factory Tilly. I knocked the casting flash out and tried it. Right now it's a little faster than a 372XPW. :)

Videos are coming.......

The muffler still looks exactly the same as it did stock but under the screen it's been opened up considerably.

LeesStihl038006.jpg

I work on a lot of saws.....the simplicity of this design is nice......

LeesStihl038019.jpg

.......here's a 562XP for comparison.

562060.jpg

The compression ended up at 187psi.....

I turned down the bolt heads a little......it went together slick as a whistle. On the muffler the saw was sporting a dual port cover so I just opened the factory outlet in the muffler shell about twice as larger as stock and widened the inlet to match the jug. Nuttin fancy.

It's doing pretty good with the factory Tilly. I knocked the casting flash out and tried it. Right now it's a little faster than a 372XPW. :)

Videos are coming.......

That is about what I've done on my DP mufflers, wanted to keep the spark screens, also opened up the baffle a bit.

Did you change the timing on the ports or just widen and polish things?

Randy, Its looking good to me I cant weight to get it back in use this fall. It will come home and have two new family members a ms192 and a ms 360 I hope it does not get bad. Lee

That is about what I've done on my DP mufflers, wanted to keep the spark screens, also opened up the baffle a bit.

Did you change the timing on the ports or just widen and polish things?

Exhaust: 101°
Transfers: 122°
Intake: 75°

The muffler still looks exactly the same as it did stock but under the screen it's been opened up considerably.

LeesStihl038006.jpg

I work on a lot of saws.....the simplicity of this design is nice......

LeesStihl038019.jpg

.......here's a 562XP for comparison.

562060.jpg

The compression ended up at 187psi.....
Nice photography work also, i can count the threads on the tank vent grub screws, hope to see this saw in october wky gtg,i have a stock mag 2 and love it.

Randy, Its looking good to me I cant weight to get it back in use this fall. It will come home and have two new family members a ms192 and a ms 360 I hope it does not get bad. Lee

I'll let you decide if it needs more carb Lee. I feel like it would be a bit stronger but it is running well with this carb.

Edit.....Video is about 5 minutes. :)

how did it run with the factory mag before the port work? Also can you make a comparison video with the stock mag saw?

Back