Turning brush into pasture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcurbanloggers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m in the process of clearing about 2 acres of DENSELY wooded land. Most of it is packed with brushy saplings about 10-15ft tall and 1-4in diameter at the base. There are a couple of big trees. After I take the large trees, I was planing on getting a brush hog for the small stuff, but that would still leave the stumps and roots. If this land is to be turned into maintained grass, what’s the best way (economic and efficient) to clear this brush. Do I need to rent a dozer for a day? I am at a loss. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opinions vary but your going to need some sort of heavy equipment, either a dozer or an excavator.

My money is on an excavator with a thumb, pull, shake the dirt loose, toss in a pile, done. A 12-22 ton machine is in order, don't be mucking about with a mini for a job that big.

Dozers will do the work, but you will loose most if not all of the top soil in the process, and its kinda slow. Once again go big D4 D6 ish TD9, deere 450, etc

A third option is a chain flail type mulcher, but they probably wouldn't do anything about the bigger stumps.

I'd go with an excavator also, but a dozer would do the job.

About a bush hog though, most any if them will handle 1" saplings. 2"-3", though and you'll want to look into a true "heavy duty" model. Like a 6' model that weighs like 11-1400#. For bush hogging 4" stuff you're gonna need something like this: http://www.brownmanufacturing.us/ca...ter-72-cut-145-hp-540-rpm-single-tail-wheel-0

After bush hogging and the excavator work they're will still be a lot of trash on and right below the surface of the soil. A three point landscape rake (heavy duty) or a Ratchet Rake will help clear and pile that debris. The right grapple on a skid steer would work too.

Good luck!

I'd go with an excavator also, but a dozer would do the job.

About a bush hog though, most any if them will handle 1" saplings. 2"-3", though and you'll want to look into a true "heavy duty" model. Like a 6' model that weighs like 11-1400#. For bush hogging 4" stuff you're gonna need something like this: http://www.brownmanufacturing.us/ca...ter-72-cut-145-hp-540-rpm-single-tail-wheel-0

After bush hogging and the excavator work they're will still be a lot of trash on and right below the surface of the soil. A three point landscape rake (heavy duty) or a Ratchet Rake will help clear and pile that debris. The right grapple on a skid steer would work too.

Good luck!

So am I correct is saying that a brush hog won’t do the job by itself? If it’s not sufficient, why not cut it from the equation entirely and take all the brush with the excavator?

Dozer with a grubbing blade or excavator with thumb. Agree with others. Need to remove roots before working ground.

So am I correct is saying that a brush hog won’t do the job by itself? If it’s not sufficient, why not cut it from the equation entirely and take all the brush with the excavator?

Well, do you own this acreage? If so, and you're making it into pasture, you'll need a bush hog anyway. But you could get away with a light or medium duty one instead of a HD model or tree cutter.

I don't know how much an ex charges, or how long it'll take them to mess with saplings, but yeah, yanking them out seems pretty ideal.

You'll still probably need to rake the trash out of the soil before discing or tilling and planting.

Take some pictures if the process for us, by the way.

Well, do you own this acreage? If so, and you're making it into pasture, you'll need a bush hog anyway. But you could get away with a light or medium duty one instead of a HD model or tree cutter.

I don't know how much an ex charges, or how long it'll take them to mess with saplings, but yeah, yanking them out seems pretty ideal.

You'll still probably need to rake the trash out of the soil before discing or tilling and planting.

Take some pictures if the process for us, by the way.

It’s not mine. I’ve been hired to clear it.

excavator depending size out here rents from $60-100 an hour, with basic minimums, and trucking

Dozers are about the same, maybe a little cheaper to rent.

With enough patience you can get a good deal of the smaller debris with an excavator. However a root rake on a dozer, or a rock rake behind a tractor will leave the dirt nearly clean, and to a better job of smoothing things out.

If its just going to be pasture, stump it take the big stuff, and try to get anything over baby arm sized, then just seed it and go, everything else will rot away in a few seasons, or be taken care of by the owners brush mower (assuming they plan on getting one)

Also depending on size of machine, and brush, figure a minimum of 2 days to clear 2 acres with a 12 ton machine, but plan on spending a week or 2 on it, especially if your just learning the machine.

Figure a minimum of a week with a dozer to clear, be done in a day if you just use the dozer for cleanup.

Don't like the pungee sticks a flail chopper leaves. Just got into a swamp the owner had done with his new toy. Really sucked.

Alright well I think for now I’m going to stick with the brush hog. Bull dozing and excavating was never part of the contract, so if more needs done, it’ll probably be best if they hire out the excavation to a company with more experience with that kind of equipment. They haven’t clearly specified what they really want to do with the land... once they sort that out they can make a decision to bull doze it or not. I’ll upload the progress. Thanks for the advice

X 2 on the mulcher. They're relatively fast, will do the job leaving few if any stubs, and give reasonably good prep for fertilizer and pasture mix planting.

I was already to jump in on this thread as I have worked on many brush to pasture jobs, many as a young man. Then I saw it is only two acres. Well here are some of the things you can try if you have at least 100 acres to convert.

An anchor chain, a metal net float (big metal ball), and two good size dozers with a D6 as the smallest. String 150 feet of anchor chain, say 50 to 150 pounds per link between the two dozers with the float connect to the middle of the chain. The chain will tear out the root systems along with the trees. The biggest trees need to be cut low before this operation begins. make piles the size that suits your local authority and burn the piles. An air curtain burner is even better.

Another option is to cut all the large and medium size trees as low as you can and buck them at least in half. then pile everything with a dozer with a root rake. Then shallow rip the two acres and clean it with the root rake. burn the piles and rake again.

It's best if you can disc and ring roll the site after the heavy work. Then seed and fertilize with what the county recommends. Best done by a contractor BTW. They might roll it in to keep the birds from eating the seed.

You don't want wood chips on a pasture as they make it hard for the grass to grow and they can screw up the soil chemistry. You should a soil study done before the project. Your county Ag Extension may do this for free. You don't want to leave the burn piles scars as is because they are often sterilized by the heat. That's while I recommend plowing afterward.

How about a forestry mulcher? 7-8 foot head, $150 per hour.

Sure it’d make quick work of it, but a can get a brush hog for $250 for the whole day. Even if it’s slower and means that I have to break out the saw, it still seems to make more sense. It’s only a couple acres.

Rent a "fecon" head and skid steer. It's the best way IMO to make ground pasture ready.

Gonna need the heaviest rotary cutter Bush Hog makes and both pockets both full of shear pins. Might be ok but I think the rotary cutter is going to leave a mess. 60+ hp at the pto minimum.

Forestry mulcher/Fecon head will do a better job but will probably cost more unless you can find a good rental place.
They make them for tractors but pretty rare I think.

Good luck.

Sure it’d make quick work of it, but a can get a brush hog for $250 for the whole day. Even if it’s slower and means that I have to break out the saw, it still seems to make more sense. It’s only a couple acres.

What's it going to cost for ground prep after the brush hog? You're not going to grow pasture in the stubble left behind.

I got a quote for a forestry mulcher. In my area it’s cheaper to get the dozer. Basically $950 with delivery. Dozer was $900. At that rate I think the dozers the best option if end up renting heavy equipment. Sure the hog would leave stubble, but I’m thinking that it’s all small enough that it would rot out. I could do regular burns to keep the brush from coming back.

Latest posts

Back