Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there has been improvements but I don't think that had anything to do with the change. If they recommend it at 32:1 they would sell more oil and make more money.

More oil is better on the engine and produces more power. I can't remember who did the study maybe dupont but 16:1 makes the most power and I believe 32:1 was the sweet spot for power, lube, and smoke.
Yes the oils creates he power from sealing the rings and piston for combustion…..that’s the power increase….higher rpm engines can use higher octanes because its firing so fast the oil doesn’t even have a chance to really help….but that’s why high octane engines over heat and break parts … so that leads to water cooling as the replacement or “cold air intakes”….oil is like a preservative and a little bit of a gasket kind of supporting element…..the law made oil become different for emissions..but then that meant a new type of combustion reaction and new substance was going into our engines…. Cold weather versions are the best example of oils and gasses. The second is when to change oil….miles or months? Still based off how it burns

Yes the oils creates he power from sealing the rings and piston for combustion…..that’s the power increase….higher rpm engines can use higher octanes because its firing so fast the oil doesn’t even have a chance to really help….but that’s why high octane engines over heat and break parts … so that leads to water cooling as the replacement or “cold air intakes”….oil is like a preservative and a little bit of a gasket kind of supporting element…..the law made oil become different for emissions..but then that meant a new type of combustion reaction and new substance was going into our engines…. Cold weather versions are the best example of oils and gasses. The second is when to change oil….miles or months? Still based off how it burns
Also the higher ccs means you need some moe bang ….oil is heavy and doesn’t ignite like gas…that’s why older models really means lower ccs and not as precise parts made…we have laser precision so oil doesn’t need to fill those gaps as much these days

Two chainsaws walk into the woods…one sits down in defeat when out of gas and oil…the other walks to the store gets what’s there and returns to cut.

I think I need a translator
Idk it’s like when it comes down to it you’ll have a moment at the store or out cutting where u let the whole 40:1 or echo brand only thing go and just get what u can to cut. You walk in to the woods with me….spill or loose your gear…you’ll prolly end up running whatever mix I had

I wonder how much the huge amounts of carbon from burning motor oil at 16:1 would contribute to those frequent rebuilds?
Versus for example, inadequate lubrication for the rings and bearings.
Heat was probably a big factor and maybe insane exhaust temps burning all that oil.
I would be concerned about the amount of mettalic residue that motor oil would lay down. Great for pre ignition.

I can't find where someone mentioned Husky XP oil but I can attest that it's good oil. I personally observed Husky saws from 332's to a 3120 logging thousands of hours at 50:1 Husky XP oil being abused and worked to death on that oil and never saw a bottom end or even a top end failure. And with 87 octane gas.
I'd use Husky oil without a second thought.
Husky has always had good quality oil as has Echo. Stihl, at least in the US has always been garbage.

Agreed that the use matters. And homeowner vs professional are completely different in terms of hours and stress on the machine.

So if a professional uses Stihl Ultra at 50:1 (high hours, high stress), shouldn't they see excess residue, carbon, and/or mechanical failure?

Where are these stories? Why haven't there been lawsuits? Recalls?

The answer is simple. Because they don't exist in any kind of number.

The problem with the internet is people hear a story about a thing and it immediately becomes the whole truth because "I heard from Joe that Stihl Ultra sucks" even though they were never told that Joe was running it 32:1 in a ported saw.
Or what the engineers who spent countless hours designing and testing it said.
I’ll chime in. If the engineers are infallible, why does porting work? Or muffler mods? Or Tons of other things that irks me about engineers. Whether it’s cars, trucks, boats or saws.

I ran 32:1 in various motors, including many chainsaws used for logging for years with zero deposit issues. IME 32:1 engines actually run cleaner and that makes sense given you have more detergents passing through the motor. Also keep in mind most carbon comes from the gas and not the oil.
This is so true, Stihl’s Motomix even at 40:1 runs so clean, however stihl ultra (same oil as the motomix) with 91 unleaded makes a mess.

I've been using Stihl Ultra since it first came out when I got my first FS91 4-Mix. And that would had to have been sometime around 2003-04 I think. No problems with anything running it... 2 FS-91's, an old FS80, the wifey's little Stihl M55 tiller, and my 3 Husky saws. Never plugged a screen, fouled a plug, or anything like that. I do see just a trace of oil making it out of the mufflers I think. You know what that tells me? It's working when it goes in, and it's still working when it goes out.

And, I think it smells good.

The only thing I don't like about Ultra is how much the price has gone up.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back