Two Stroke resources

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin460

Ham Fisted
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions of mainly books, or other sources like web pages or forum stickies that teach the basics and details of two stroke engines. Back in high school I had a small engine repair class and we had some Briggs and Stratton work books to learn from which were really nice. Anything educational would be appreciated.

There was a guy named Gordin Jenninings who was the father of two stroke engines back in the hay day of cart racing. Look him up.

There was a guy named Gordin Jenninings who was the father of two stroke engines back in the hay day of cart racing. Look him up.

Thank you, I found a book of his right away and started reading, perfect!

Only problem is I want to go brew more coffee and read it, and skip work.

Walbro and Zama have some nice PDF writeups on their websites. I have d0wnloaded and printed, because I am old and like paper.I have a bunch of old Chilton small engine manuals I keep around to reference for reed valves and points. They have an introduction on how 2 cycle engines function.
google chilton small engine and see what you find.

Paul Dempsey's recent book on 2-stroke troubleshooting and repair.

Jennings was OK, or a good starting point.
A. Graham Bell's book was the book if you were serious through the seventies/eighties but the definitive works are by the late Prof. Gordon Blair.

Very, very technical, aimed at degree and above engineers/students, they are the definitive two stroke race engine books/papers.
Very exxy from the SAE, if you are clever you can find all (including Bell) as PDF's online ;)

Back