Under 9lb 40cc class saw - Suggestions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 338xpt is really tight the handles are very close together so good if you are in a tree sawing one handed but on the ground try before you buy. I like my Stihl 020AV (around 9 lbs head and under 11 with bar and chain) has more room and good AV but that's just me.

The 338xpt is really tight the handles are very close together so good if you are in a tree sawing one handed but on the ground try before you buy. I like my Stihl 020AV (around 9 lbs head and under 11 with bar and chain) has more room and good AV but that's just me.

I really appreciate all the suggestions:

Thus far:
  • Husky 339xp
  • Makita DCS401 [I am gona take a close look at this one]
  • Efco MT 4000

Any others in the running?

in this case, If I were to keep my arms up all day long and cut small limbs, I`d go for the lightest as power is not that important.

untitled2.jpg

I`d pick the T435
the 338XPT has more power but the 339XP fits the bill perfectly: not a top handle, 39 cc, 8,8 lbs.

I`d still pick the T 435.

Cheers.

An "altertative" suggestion from way out in left field...

Since the OP seems somewhat 'flexible', and mentioned "older Poulans"....

How about a Poulan S25DA or a Homelite Super E-Z Automatic? They'll pull 3/8" 7-pin, especialy if we're talking low-pro. They'll run standard 3/8" better than modern saws of this displacement/weight class too. Not as fast, and no real AV though. There were AV versions of these saws, but they were e a bit heavier and the AV isn't really all that great however. I prefer the non-AV versions...:cheers:

I had looked at those ... they are cheap enough that I wouldn't have an issue with buying a new one ... I just think their build quality is suspect.

man, T435.
cheap, the lighter of them, pro built, what more?
oh, the 40cc part;
good luck.
cheers.

I have a Husqvarna 440e that seems to be a pretty good light saw close to 9 lbs. the 435 is a little lighter and is still 40cc. Only problem is both are homeowner saws, not pro rated. I haven't had mine a very long time but it seems to be pretty solid, reminds me of my dads 350. Mine does have a tool less chain tensioner but I really like it. It works great unlike like the crappy ones found on the Poulans/Homelites. If you're dead set on a pro rated rear handle saw with the specified requirements then the 339xp is the best you're going to find... It isn't cheap for such a small saw either.

I really appreciate all the suggestions:

Thus far:
  • Husky 339xp
  • Makita DCS401 [I am gona take a close look at this one]
  • Efco MT 4000

Any others in the running?

The Dolmar 401 suffers from being a very old design, and has been discontinued for some years. A new one may be hard to find.

oh, I forgot about the 7 lbs MS 192 T

it had to be mentioned.

...or the legendary 200T twice as expensive though....

The Dolmar 401 suffers from being a very old design, and has been discontinued for some years. A new one may be hard to find.

Yeah ... I just figured that out ... had me all excited ... can't be found ... even remanufactured.

overhead cutting sounds like risky business

I use a pole saw for that, once limbs hit the ground, dice them up with a rear handle.

Latest posts

Back