under bed pickup dump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this product? Seems all around first class from what I have read and speaking with company owner.

www.stealthdumptrucks.com

attachment.php

I think I am going to put one on my new one ton Chev.

Thanks for sharing! I have looked at several choices for dump conversion and this one looks excellent simply because it lifts the bed up over the bumper while tilting it! I have an 01 F-350 crew,longbed, w/ 7.3 that I haul wood and chips in. Right now I have been using that silly little loadhandler with a sheet of lexan under it to crank out a full load of chips but still have to unload the firewood mostly by hand. What about concerns with the bed itself deforming? Would reinforcing it be necessary?

thats a pretty fresh setup, i like it. too bad you couldnt make it into a rolloff too. seen those custom lowrider trucks where the bed dumps and spins around and such?

What about concerns with the bed itself deforming? Would reinforcing it be necessary?

That's the biggest problem with them. If there isn't any bracing ahead of the lifting brace, and there's alot of weight in the front of the bed, the bed can buckle. As long as you use your head on how to load them, most people don't have any problems, But there's always that one guy. There's alot of moving parts, but compared to other systems that i've worked on it looks very well made and engineered.

Not sure if it's a stealth or not, I'm waiting for the guy to call me back, but I buddy of mine has one, looks real similar, if not same.

hes gotten caught a couple times with loading it too heavy, not a big deal though, it is a pickup, and the load is just gonna get dumped anyway, so he just hops in and tosses some out. lol He had his bed twisted a bit from loading it improperly I think. He swears not, but it looked way bad to me. Couple pieces of angle iron welded underneath, stabilized it immensely.

Hope it helps,

Jeff

Just wondering - if you're using the truck for work, why not just put a flatbed and hoist on it? You can build up sides on the flatbed to chip into and you won't have to worry about beating up or scratching the box.

Do you like the look of the original pickup box better than that of a flatbed or dump box? The problem with the original pickup box is that it holds so much less than a flatbed or dump box because of the fender wells. A 7' wide flatbed will hold so much more than a pickup box. JMO...

The ones I've seen weren't so complicated and seemed a little more robust looking (not as many long, slender bars and moving parts). And most of the guys that have installed 'em seemed to have good luck not deforming their beds by doing a bit of welding and adding a little support here and there you just can't get with bolts. Course this one lifts up over the bumper....

Keep kicking the idea around myself. Also have the F350 longbed 7.3. The kits I've seen are about a grand if memory serves. How much does this one run?

Edit: I've also thought of just going with Arbor Pro's suggestion though. Seems more useful.

Just wondering - if you're using the truck for work, why not just put a flatbed and hoist on it? You can build up sides on the flatbed to chip into and you won't have to worry about beating up or scratching the box.

Do you like the look of the original pickup box better than that of a flatbed or dump box? The problem with the original pickup box is that it holds so much less than a flatbed or dump box because of the fender wells. A 7' wide flatbed will hold so much more than a pickup box. JMO...

:agree2:

Unless, you're like one of my wood guys. I have this guy, who will put in his s-10, about half a cord, strapped down, and in a 1ton p/u box made into a trailer, atleast a cord, strapped. that sucker squats real low. Just be mindful of weight. To me that's my limitation.

This unit is $2800 delivered. I have thought of putting in an insert but quite a bit of capacity is lost. A flat bed dump would be nice but I would prefer to keep the look of the truck as I give estimates in it and keep in my driveway in a real nice neighborhood. It is called Stealth as it doesn't alter the height or appearance of the stock set up noticeably.

I had one back in the 70's and never had any problem with the bed deforming. This may happen with rock or sand more likely i am guessing. The company has a 10 week wait to get one so he is selling a lot of them.

I have a dump trailer that holds a full cord plus of split firewood. I plan to sell half cords with the pick up and this likely will pay the unit off quickly. To put a half cord in the large dump trailer and hook up and deliver and unhook is something I can't make myself do. I have been getting $250 a cord dropped and have sold a half cord in the past for $160 so this is my plan along with picking up small loads of wood to be split and taking them to my lot that may just have been chipped or thrown away.

I even had a little chip box on the last under bed dump I had. Don't plan to do this this time but maybe stump grindings, etc... When firewood is put on I probably would put a shield around the bed to prevent damage.

may be ok for wood thrown in by hand, if your still chucking wood in the ol' fashion way. Just will not hold up like a real dump body. I can see that tailgate developing closing problems then eventually falling off. Way back when we use to haul wood in a pickup truck it always went from a nice new truck to a beat up and dinged looking like it went through war after a few years of being in the woods. No tailgate ever survived.

I see what you are trying to achieve of having a personal vehicle and work vehicle combo. I found if I ever wanted to keep a nice pickup it would be off limits to hauling wood, the occasional saw/gear will go in it. I do estimates in an 09 GMC Sierrra and wouldnt ever think about letting the guys throw even the minimal amount of wood it would hold. You can always put higher sides and drive around like Sanford and Son.

Keep the wood going into real dump trucks imo, hold more and not care so much about the occasional scratch/ding.

250 a cord... I guess I have been out of the biz for too long.

I was getting a hundred bucks delivered, and 20 bucks to stack it. Upstate new york.

thumbs up if your getting 250.

You have to get a certain customer that will pay $250 a cord for what they know will be consistently high quality seasoned wood and not screw them over much like tree service clients.

may be ok for wood thrown in by hand, if your still chucking wood in the ol' fashion way. Just will not hold up like a real dump body. I can see that tailgate developing closing problems then eventually falling off. Way back when we use to haul wood in a pickup truck it always went from a nice new truck to a beat up and dinged looking like it went through war after a few years of being in the woods. No tailgate ever survived.

I see what you are trying to achieve of having a personal vehicle and work vehicle combo. I found if I ever wanted to keep a nice pickup it would be off limits to hauling wood, the occasional saw/gear will go in it. I do estimates in an 09 GMC Sierrra and wouldnt ever think about letting the guys throw even the minimal amount of wood it would hold. You can always put higher sides and drive around like Sanford and Son.

Keep the wood going into real dump trucks imo, hold more and not care so much about the occasional scratch/ding.

Like I said earlier, I have an 09 Chev 3500 hd. My GM cares about it as much as I do as he drives it while I drive the picker or crane to and from jobs etc. Today we tossed maybe 20 200 lb logs into the back of it and I could care less if the inside of the bed has dents in it. We were in too much of a hurry to go get the Dingo. I went to the lot and rolled them off the tailgate ....no prob. If you load wood over the sides of the pick up you WILL get dents. But we will be careful. A half cord is not that much wood and I have a bin that holds that much that I pick up with the crane and dump 2 of them into the dump trailer. It can likely be floated at the back of the pick up to load easier.
attachment.php

I like my ez-dumper insert. The two draw backs to it though are it adds weight to the truck and it sits higher than stock bed. Other than that it the best thing I ever bought.

I like my ez-dumper insert. The two draw backs to it though are it adds weight to the truck and it sits higher than stock bed. Other than that it the best thing I ever bought.

I thought about getting an EZ, Brush Hog, but like you said, the weight is to be considered. This under bed unit weighs about 300 plus lbs.

Seems like you could cut off the excess over the bed aspect of the EZ?

I was interested in the stainless steel Truck Craft insert but just cannot talk myself into dropping $7k on it no matter how nice and light it is. You see cities with them all the time but, hey, they are spending the public's money.

I thought about getting an EZ, Brush Hog, but like you said, the weight is to be considered. This under bed unit weighs about 300 plus lbs.

Seems like you could cut off the excess over the bed aspect of the EZ?

I was interested in the stainless steel Truck Craft insert but just cannot talk myself into dropping $7k on it no matter how nice and light it is. You see cities with them all the time but, hey, they are spending the public's money.

Then it is time for the public to repossess :hmm3grin2orange:

Then it is time for the public to repossess :hmm3grin2orange:

The problem I have with this model is the support system looks weak, piston looks underpowered. I noticed they dont show any pics of it with decent loads in the bed only empty raised beds. Plus as I mentioned the supports do not look that strong. I would be concerned about the strength of this system with the bed raised with the truck on even a road with a steep grade. It looks like any heavy load with a side lean would twist it like a pretz.

But in the pro side of the argument if you were looking to maintain the look of your truck and only wanted to haul lite loads it could be nice.

I myself would prefer dump insert. Though it weighs more you can improve your suspension some to make up for it and it gives you the option of a headache board and slip in side boards for larger loads. Take it out and your bed is not destroyed from tossing big logs in.

Back