Understanding Husqvarna theory/nomenclature.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoopermike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I for the life of me can not find anything about the normal husky line vs the "rancher" line For example. the new husky 450 has 3 different models. The normal one is 10.8lbs yet the rancher and the e series are 11.3 lbs. Why are theses saws heavier?? All I can think of is a few extra epa add ons?? And why in general are all rancher saws usually less hp then their normal counterpart?? take the husky 61 for example... I think the normal one was 4.1hp yet the rancher is 3.6hp? Why would husqvarna make a good saw then make a heavier slower version of the same saw??

Marketing is part of it, but mostly there are actual differences as well. With the 450 I assume the weight difference it is about the tool-less chain tensioner, and maybe some "easy start" help? It also could be a misprint - never really looked into it on that one.
With the 61, the Ranchers simply are the oldest ones, and the model was developed a little. The late non Ranchers were rated at 3.9 hp (not 4.1), and the early Ranchers 3.6. A larger carb was one of the differences.

Normal = regular homeowner saw I.E. older saws had an orange and black top, the ranchers had white.

I know what you were talking about. I just wasn't sure if your were actually using that terminology in your search.
The epa minded saws get their mufflers crammed with about .5 lbs worth of stuff...effectively retarding the horsepower. I'm not sure if all states have the same epa restrictions, if not that'll be a good reason for the minor differences.

Marketing is part of it, but mostly there are actual differences as well. With the 450 I assume it is about the tool-less chain tensioner, and maybe some "easy start" help? Never teally looked into it on that one.
With the 61, the Ranchers simply are the oldest ones, and the model was developed a little. The late non Ranchers were rated at 3.9 hp (not 4.1), and the early Ranchers 3.6. A larger carb was one of the differences.

I guess it wouldn't be the 1st time Acres info was incorrect :) thanks Niko.

I know what you were talking about. I just wasn't sure if your were actually using that terminology in your search.
The epa minded saws get their mufflers crammed with about .5 lbs worth of stuff...effectively retarding the horsepower. I'm not sure if all states have the same epa restrictions, if not that'll be a good reason for the minor differences.

That was my thinking in the matter I just didn't know for sure.

I will say regarding the current rancher line that the name is all marketing. A friend of mine bought. 455 rancher. Supposed to have a bit more power than my 450. My 450 is much faster and weighs less. But it doesn't say rancher on it so it is clearly not that cool ;)

I will say regarding the current rancher line that the name is all marketing. A friend of mine bought. 455 rancher. Supposed to have a bit more power than my 450. My 450 is much faster and weighs less. But it doesn't say rancher on it so it is clearly not that cool ;)
455 should be stronger than a 450 with 5 more cc, so something is likely wrong with your friends saw. The word Rancher means nothing, just like FarmBoss.

I think that the Rancher moniker was Huskies attempt to gain market recognition like Stihl's Wood Boss and Farm Boss saws. A good number of people don't even know the model number, they just know the model name. I've run a few 455 ranchers and a 460. The 460 had decent trque for what it was though it felt a good it heavier and less balanced than my 562xp. The 455s feel less powerful than my old 55 (non-rancher) which wasn't the lightest but was a darn good running saw. It was my first Husky and I miss it.

can someone explain the date codes in the serial #'s ?

Depends on how old it is, as the system has changed a few times in the almost 4 decades the model has been produced by now. ;)

The first few years of production (about 1976-80/81) can't be decoded into time of production in any way that I know of.

Ranchers are basically larger displacement versions of their smaller "homeowner" grade cousins.

I am not as familiar with all the new/current 500 series saws as I am the 300 series, so I will use the 300 series as my example. (I'm sure they have their 500 series counterparts though)

You had the 340, 345, and 350.. All had plastic crankcases and not pushing the power per CC that the XP line does. Then comes in the "Rancher" saws. For several years it was the 455 alone. Same type of construction as the 340, 345, and 350 with 5cc more displacement. (and less power than a 346xp). And 3 or 4 years ago (ready to be corrected by Mr. Troll if needed) they decided the line-up needed a still bigger version and hence the 460 Rancher. Comparing to the smaller 40-50cc non-XP saws, the Ranchers are very similar if not virtually identical in construction and features, only bigger.

And not to confuse the issue even more, Husky had/has a class of saws in between these "homeowner" grade and pro-grade XP's.. The 359, 570, and 365 come to mind in this case. (I would also say 353 was in here too, but I do not recall if they had plastic cases or mag.) While still not quite making the power (on paper) that their similarly sized XP counterparts do, they do sport the better construction and features like magnesium crankcases, more adjustable oilers etc.. These saws make better power for their sizes than a homeowner grade saw.All of these classes are reflected in the price point.. You can buy a 460 Rancher for what, $400 new?? And the similarly sized 562XP will run you 7 bills most places... Both 60cc saws, but VERY different in construction and performance level.

There are your 2 main classes aside from the XP's and how the Ranchers fit in.

I'm not sure where the 235/240 fit in... Occasional use perhaps???

FTR: it's my opinion that Husky/Johnny-Red's, Dolmar, and Echo's model designation system is MUCH easier to understand than Stihl's.. Not hating on Stihl, it's just that if I see and ms290 (for example) I haven't a clue as to engine size or pro-grade vs non-pro-grade...

Other than for instance the 450 and 450 rancher, identical saw, same hp other than the rancher is heavier and it has "rancher" on the saw. Yes the 353 had a mag case. Also the 450 rancher has less features than the regular 450. No "smart start"

I wasn't aware of the 450 Rancher.. Is that something that has come out recently??
Its on the website. they have the e series 450, the 450, and 450 rancher. 3 versions of the same saw the 450 is 10.8lbs the e series is 11.33 and the rancher is 11.24 lbs going by their data. To be honest I'm surprised there isn't a trio brake version.

Back