Upside down skid steer splitter opionins.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to buy one of these since i deal with alot of big rounds. I mostly want to just split them down enough that i can split them on my regular splitter. it also looks like you can use these to move the big rounds around if you want. other thing is i want to use it on one of my compact tractors with a quick attach loader. i have remote hydraulics on the back of my tractor and would have to run hoses to the front. i haven't seen anyone use one with a tractor but don't see why it wouldn't work. the unit weighs 475 and my smallest tractor will lift 1,100 lbs so no problem there.

A splitter is going to run painfully slow off the remotes of a compact tractor, as they have pretty low flow to the remotes...

SR

i have used it on other things using a cylinder and it seems to work fast. the loader and 3 point also work really fast. and if it was a 3 point splitter it would run off the remote. i guess the splitter i am looking at is designed to run at max speed with the loader at idle. i guess even if its kinda slow it would be better than what i have been doing.

i have used it on other things using a cylinder and it seems to work fast. the loader and 3 point also work really fast. and if it was a 3 point splitter it would run off the remote. i guess the splitter i am looking at is designed to run at max speed with the loader at idle. i guess even if its kinda slow it would be better than what i have been doing.

The flow at the remotes is what matters NOT how fast your loader or 3 point moves!

I haven't seen a compact tractor yet with much flow at the remotes, so I'm betting the splitter will be slower that "I" would want to live with.

I have a 3 point splitter now and I've run it on different tractors, small tractors move the ram too slow for me...and this is a big reason I'm about to buy a 3 point splitter that has it's own pump! THAT pump is a 20 gallon pump, so a LOT of difference from what you can get out of a set of remotes on a smaller tractor.

SR

I am dealing with mostly oak so it splits pretty easy. I actually have been splitting them by hand or using the loader to lift them on the splitter . Either way it's physically demanding. And the vertical option on my splitter doesn't work that great on the big ones, there's still a lot of wrestling with them. I have a 12 foot grain drill with a large cylinder to raise and lower the disc's an d it works really fast. I would like to use it on this 30 horse tractor I also have a 45 horse new holland. This is only a year old it seems they improved the pumps on them. 20140222_130349.jpg

Also most of what I am dealing with is 32 plus inches of green oak almost not possible to put on the splitter . And when it splits I have to push one half into the loader and wrestle the other half back in position to split. Even when quartered they are almost too much for me. Even if it took 30 second to cycle it would be better. I cut the big rounds at 15.5 inches so they split easier, it would only take a few inches of Penetration to get it to split
I also just have one switch on the remote , with the detent taken out . Maybe this makes it faster? ???

I've got one for my skid-steer. I use it mostly to bust up the big rounds so I can handle them. Otherwise, it is slow and a waste of machine hours. My one concern would be an obstructed view. With a skid-steer it's right there in front of you, easy to see. Mine mounts sideways in front of me. I can split straight ahead but mostly I lift my loader arms up and point the splitter straight down. Maybe you can borrow, demonstrate, or rent one to see if you would be happy with it.

I think it would be the perfect fit for your aplication. although, have you given any thought to just noodling them? i have a big splitter with a log lift on it and i still prefer (when im by myself... ) to just noodle and use my smaller splitter. with the name of 066blaster, id assume you already have a saw that would make short work of any round you can find. just an idea. a simple skidsteer splitter is rather spendy in my eyes and doesnt seem that useful to me... but i also dont deal with the size rounds you do.

I think it would be the perfect fit for your aplication. although, have you given any thought to just noodling them? i have a big splitter with a log lift on it and i still prefer (when im by myself... ) to just noodle and use my smaller splitter. with the name of 066blaster, id assume you already have a saw that would make short work of any round you can find. just an idea. a simple skidsteer splitter is rather spendy in my eyes and doesnt seem that useful to me... but i also dont deal with the size rounds you do.
I never liked the idea of noodling, it's seems rough on the saws and takes time and effort. And yes I have a huge amount of big wood to deal with, I sell the wood and get a good price. After you deal with these big rounds for awhile you are willing to spend some money to make it easier. And we all know splitters hold their value, I can always sell it. I don't think the speed will be an issue. And I would get the 24 in so it don't have to travel far. I just seems like it would work so good, I'm so sick of fighting with those big Bastard ' s

I checked and my tractors hydro pump has a max capacity of 12.7 gpm. I'm gonna ask the splitter dealer about it. If it will work half way decent I will buy it. $1479 delivered

Decent price, cheaper than a back surgery, and less wear on saws. you can use it as a picker. Off the ground, over the flat bed, squeeze, and resqueeze. Hours on the machine is negligible. its made to work hard for many hours, splitting some big uns is not like pushing a yard with a half in the bucket for miles per day.

I'm going to build one, and my RC 30 only produces 10-12 gpm. Slow is better than laid up. I'm not bending over any more, I'm building "tables" at 30-32" to put logs and rounds on for cutting with my grapple.

I will have mine extended forward, and will rotate for down or up use, wedge on ram, foot on end, because I can get it vertical if I want. (Truck axle and hub)

I guess slow is relative. I thought overall splitting would be faster. Part of my issue is the wedge is on the end of the beam so I have to reposition after each split. I can split big stuff faster and way easier than wrestling them, but once I can lift them the hydro or by hand is faster.

I checked and my tractors hydro pump has a max capacity of 12.7 gpm. I'm gonna ask the splitter dealer about it. If it will work half way decent I will buy it. $1479 delivered

And, how much of that 12.7 get's to the remotes, half??? NOT all 12.7!

The tractor I run my splitter off, has 11.9 to the REMOTES, I wouldn't want it any slower, that's for sure! BUT, like you said, you don't care if it's slooooow so it may work out for you...

I'm looking for a 10 - 11 sec cycle time on the new splitter, I'm tired of spending so much time waiting on my old splitter...

SR

I guess slow is relative. I thought overall splitting would be faster. Part of my issue is the wedge is on the end of the beam so I have to reposition after each split. I can split big stuff faster and way easier than wrestling them, but once I can lift them the hydro or by hand is faster.
The one I want to get has the wedge on the ram. I always wondered what the difference is or what would be better. I have seen in vids the ones with the wedge on the end have to lift the log I bit while splitting so it can move freely.

And, how much of that 12.7 get's to the remotes, half??? NOT all 12.7!

The tractor I run my splitter off, has 11.9 to the REMOTES, I wouldn't want it any slower, that's for sure! BUT, like you said, you don't care if it's slooooow so it may work out for you...

I'm looking for a 10 - 11 sec cycle time on the new splitter, I'm tired of spending so much time waiting on my old splitter...

SR
I'm not sure of the flow through the remote. Are they rated or something, how could I find out? Like I said my grain drill has a big cylinder and it moves it faster than my gas splitter moves.

With the arms up I can pin rounds to the ground if they don't wanna play nice. Splitter always wins that fight. Mine works great otherwise. Its just not really fast.

I'm not sure of the flow through the remote. Are they rated or something, how could I find out? Like I said my grain drill has a big cylinder and it moves it faster than my gas splitter moves.

Farm tractors always were rated on what they actually will do, like "PTO" hp and flow "at the remotes"... Then compacts came along, and the mfg of them wanted to make them sound better on paper, so they started rating them by engine hp and what the hydraulic pump puts out MAX...

NOW you have to dig for the real performance numbers, so start by calling your parts guy and ask him what your model tractor's hy. flow is, at the remotes. I've also found that info in the shop manuals I've bought for the compacts I've owned.

SR

Back