Used 50cc Saw - Stihl vs Husky, Pro vs Homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesmith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I've decided to see if I can pick up a used 50cc or so saw, to use with my existing MS180 or maybe replace it. It will be my biggest saw so would like something that can run a long bar when needed, rather than just for quicker cutting with a short bar.
First thought was Stihl based on my experience with the MS180 which was 10 years old when I got it and still going strong at 15. However there's a problem, over here their obvious model the MS261 is a problem and has suffered from bearing and crank problems since launch. There's a possibility that the v2 models post 2016 may be OK, but then again maybe they're too new to show it.

So my options would seem to be go older with MS260, go Husky or go non-pro with MS290/291.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were. Are there some particular models more suited than others for running a longer bar and cutting slowly, rather than high speed with short bar. And what would be lost by choosing non-pro from Stihl (or Husky if they have such a thing).

Thanks, Tony S

(Edit - moderated some of my wording)

I wouldn't call the ms261 a lemon, the c-m model is one of my favorite. Responds to a muffler mod well and light. It acts like it's a bigger saw than it is.

I've also not heard of them having issues with bearings/cranks. Mtronic solenoids, yes. But that's across the Stihl line.

I had both a ms260 and ms261cm at the same time. I used the 260 to cut dirty and sketchy stuff, and the 261 for limbing and other stuff under 12 inches.

20180929_090420.jpg

Please dont get a ms290 or ms291 over a ms261. Actually you'd be one of the only people I've actually heard of making that choice. At least if price isn't an issue.

Cheers, not meaning to diss your equipment. Sadly although I see zillions of rave reviews of the MS261 from the US, in the UK they have been plagued with that particular issue - sprocket needle bearing failure and crank damage. One reported his company had to scrap all six of theirs at less than three years old. It's a real shame because I had a shot of one that was for sale and really liked it, but sure enough there was play in that bearing and the crank bearing surface pitted and scored. That was a late 2015 model. The size, shape and power all suited me down to the ground, plus I'm biased in favour of Stihl, but in the UK it's not a model that would be sensible to buy used.

For occasional use, I bought a brand new Echo CS-490.

I use it with a 20” bar exclusively for all the dirty work and the few occasions that a smaller saw isn’t quite enough.

Not the fastest saw, but it gets there.
It fits the bill. Lightweight , dependable, and economical.

If you like the MS180, and it’s been up to the task for most jobs, I don’t think a 50cc could replace it. Bigger, heavier, more unwieldy and more like work to use.
But the 50 is nice to have when you need it.

If it was going to be my everything saw, or I was cutting firewood in a more serious manner, I’d buy a new Stihl MS 261 CM, or an MS241CM.
But there’s also some convenience and security in having two saws that I have about the same money in as just one of the two mentioned above. For me that’s the new Echo 490 and a nice used Dolmar 421. And then in a worse case scenario, there’s my Dad’s old Poulan 3400.

What do you call a long bar? Anything over 20 inches you are you g to need a bigger saw. Really 20 is probably pushing it too much as it is. 50cc saws are happiest at 16 to 18 inch bars
Really as long as possible. I run a 16" bar on my MS180 when I need to. So part of the reason for a bigger saw is to be able to use a 20 or 22 occasionally, and when the need arises it doesn't have to cut quick. Another reason I looked at the MS261 originally was I thought it was light enough to use for everything, with a 15" bar for normal use and the longer bar when needed. If I go heavier I'll maybe need to keep the 180 as well.

I guess another option would be staying with Stihl but going bigger and older with a 034 or 036, and accepting it will need a serious overhaul. How far back are genuine and/or pattern parts available? That was one of the thinks I like about he MS180, although it's now 15 years old there's no problem with parts.

I’d try to keep an open mind. And not get caught up in brand loyalty or get stuck on a certain model or size.

Just look for a saw in the general category in very good condition at a reasonable price.

That’s how I bought my Echo 490. New in the box from a retail outlet. But far below MSRP. I wasn’t looking for this particular saw or brand, but just couldn’t pass it up.

And the very nice used Dolmar 421 I stumbled upon at a pawn shop at well below half the cost of a new one. Although I did have an additional expense of buying a new chain and sprocket for it. Still a nice saw at a nice price.

CAD

The crank bearing problem is the plastic race used to separate the ball bearings. When this race goes bad, it is pretty apparent. If you are not handy it is a PITA, but if you have the time and some tools it can be fixed rather easily and cheaply.

Im a stihl guy for sure but recently got a used echo 600p. The 590 would be similar.
It’s pretty sweet and i was shocked at how light it was. It is lighter than my 260 pro.
59cc but it would pull your 20 no problem and probably under budget.
The only downside i see is the echo aftermarket scene is nothing compared to stihl.
But for staying at 50cc, get a 026/260 if you can. Take that 290 thought from your mind [emoji16]

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
Stihl 026 for sale
Stihl 441 for sale
Stihl 441c for sale
Stihl 460 for sale
Personal Saws
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460

The 590/600/620 are not known for lightness even in their own class, never mind in the 50cc class. Is that a typo?

It was not. As i said, i was shocked. Have you ever used one?

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
Stihl 260 for sale
Stihl 441 for sale
Stihl 441c for sale
Stihl 460 for sale
Personal Saws
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460

And the absence of aftermarket parts is a downside?

I was looking for a dual port similar to what i got for my 460 and different felling dogs. So i was disappointed.
So i made my own muffler mod, no big deal. Just convenience if there was one out there already.

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
Stihl 260 for sale
Stihl 441 for sale
Stihl 441c for sale
Stihl 460 for sale
Personal Saws
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460

This site needs a full-time censor

Sawtroll was a very good one. I wish he would jump in sometimes...

So I’m a troll if i voice my opinion?

Stihl 025 for sale
Stihl 250 for sale
Stihl 260 for sale
Stihl 441 for sale
Stihl 441c for sale
Stihl 460 for sale
Personal Saws
Stihl 201t
Stihl 260 pro
Stihl 460

Are you set on a model from the big 2 ? a used/not abused pro model from Dolmar /Makita I have had good service from a pre Efco, Oleo Mac, or Echo's, whatever brand I would try to make sure it's a pro model a 20" bar is about right for 50CC's

So I’m a troll if i voice my opinion?

Sawtroll is a member on here who provides a lot of good info on power saws when the topics come up.....that was not a mention of you being a troll (at least I don't think that was the intention).

I would also add that my husky 555 is a 59cc saw, so it TECHNICALLY can be brought up in this convo. Ran it with a few 291s, 271s, a month or so ago and it was noticeably stronger.
Additionally, my buddy has a 261 and that is a hell of a saw. That or a 550XP would be 2 of the top 50cc options. I have no experience with Echo stuff, but there are quite a few members here who stand by them as great running equipment. I would consider all of those options.
Just my $.02

Latest posts

Back