Used 50cc Saw - Stihl vs Husky, Pro vs Homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If used go pro unless it's almost not used at all. Pro saws traditionally can survive a few rebuilds while homeowner stuff sometimes isn't worth it. Really well liked pro saws also have a plethora of parts where homeowner stuff can be hard to find. Stihl or husky.
With the Husky 350 being an exception.

I have a cs590 with a 28 inch bar professional chain. On MY bathroom scales it's 19 pounds fully loaded ready to cut. My CS 490, 14 lbs ready to go same as the Sthil 026. The Sthil 028 with my set up is just a tiny bit (2) lbs lighter than the cs590.
Today I was going to flush cut a 30 inch Stump before I grind it. Accidentally picked up the cs490 instead of the 590 the boxes look alike. Got to location opened saw box, saw that tiny saw and changed the word Oh-Sh to Oh Well and decided ti try the 490 anyway. The 20 inch bar slid right into the wood and disappeared. I swept it almost through, tossed in a wedge and moved to the side started cutting, tossed in another wedge and swept the bar clear. The saw wasn't anything as fast as the 590 nor the Sthil 029 but it never bogged not hesitated. I was blown away. Now I like the cs490 much more than before. It keeps impressing me.
Don't believe those websites. They weigh a dry saw may not even have a chain and bar. My 026 and 024 Sthils weight about 14 lbs ready to cut. The Echo C's 490 about the same. These saw company's are out to sell. They do everything to be able to say their saw is lighter than Joe's. I fill mine with gas oil and chain and bar THEN weigh them.

Somewhere I read the Echo cs490 is the lightest 50cc saw on the market. Mine cuts as well or a little better than my Sthil 026 and it as light if not a tad lighter. It came with a 20 inch bar and pulls it exceptionally well. I'm VERY please and bought it new. A 5 year warranty and as far as I know every part is still made in Japan. It's a quality saw. Mine is new and without any mods cuts great, even stumps.

Somewhere I read the Echo cs490 is the lightest 50cc saw on the market. Mine cuts as well or a little better than my Sthil 026 and it as light if not a tad lighter. It came with a 20 inch bar and pulls it exceptionally well. I'm VERY please and bought it new. A 5 year warranty and as far as I know every part is still made in Japan. It's a quality saw. Mine is new and without any mods cuts great, even stumps.
It would be interesting to campare the cutting speed of my vintage Echo cs500 EVL against your cs490. Mine might be a bit heavier, but I bet they would run side by side. Both are quality saws. Mine is 25 years old, still starts, still runs, and loves to cut with a 20" bar. Two thumbs up!
Echo CS-500 EVL 1.JPG

Hard to beat the ms261. If you wanted to run more than a 20 inch bar, your looking at a bigger cc saw.

Hard to beat the ms261. If you wanted to run more than a 20 inch bar, your looking at a bigger cc saw.
Agreed. My Sthil 029 is my Next up saw. Muffler Modded and tuned she pulls 24 inches but is kinda heavy. Most time she cuts with a 20 inch bar. Then when I am in a hurry it's the Echo 590 with 20, 24, or 28 inch bar depending upon tree size. That 590 with any bar up to 28 is good but with a 20 it's amazing. I do like some Sthils but those Echo saws are impressive for lower priced saws. I'M HOPING at the moment Echo is the best bang for the buck,, but as good of a name as they are getting my guess is the cost will go up. Good day.

Back