Used motot oil in OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This may be a really dumb question, but I have no former experience and I have a lot of questions so I'll post them here.

Suppose I had a piece of firewood that was just beginning to rot in the center and I put it in a five gallon bucket or similar vessel and then added say a half a gallon of used motor oil, let it soak for a day or so. Could I add this to a blazing fire in an outdoor wood boiler?

What do you think? Is this dumb/dangerous?

we use to use used motor oil to start firers, saw dust in a cardboard milk jug, smothered in used motor oil, light it, and it would start the fire soooo nice.

Isn't it illegal to burn used motor oil. Something about EPA

Might depend on where you live. I know my mechanic burns oil the waste oil he takes in. I also know a couple other people that have oil burners. No problem getting of my waste oil around here.

Isn't it illegal to burn used motor oil. Something about EPA

Nope. Very legal, waste oil furnaces are made by several different companies.
IIRC, the epa says that the waste oil burnt must be generated on site or brought by a do-it-yourselfer. This was done to try to eliminate unlicsenced/uninsured people/companies hauling waste oil.

Ed

Nope. Very legal, waste oil furnaces are made by several different companies.
IIRC, the epa says that the waste oil burnt must be generated on site or brought by a do-it-yourselfer. This was done to try to eliminate unlicsenced/uninsured people/companies hauling waste oil.

Ed
Thanks, I always thought it was illegal. Now i know. I always carried all my old oil to a waste center anyway.

i use my used oil on lubing chains on farm equipment.. Ill have to remember that trick with the sawdust and oil for lighting...

Please dont

use oil except for small amounts to get the fire going if need be. paper, and bark is best. When you put oil, treated wood, garbage, tires, road kill, etc in Owb you give us users a bad rap, leading to further regulation of them.

This may be a really dumb question, but I have no former experience and I have a lot of questions so I'll post them here.

Suppose I had a piece of firewood that was just beginning to rot in the center and I put it in a five gallon bucket or similar vessel and then added say a half a gallon of used motor oil, let it soak for a day or so. Could I add this to a blazing fire in an outdoor wood boiler?

What do you think? Is this dumb/dangerous?
I think you could do that. Not sure if it is an acceptable practice for pollution or not but the rotten wet stump would probably burn.

Might depend on where you live. I know my mechanic burns oil the waste oil he takes in. I also know a couple other people that have oil burners. No problem getting of my waste oil around here.

Heck yeah, his neighbor's cancer or the enviromental damage are of no consequence, as long as he's saving a few measly dollars right?

Sheesh, you wonder why OWB's get a bad rap.............not.

Why would you want to use oil for fires when there are so many great old tires you can use, nothing gets a fire rolling like an old tire:)

Back