v.t cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBullman

User Formerly known as stephenbullman
Reaction score
just bought some new cord for tying my vt, a selection of sizes, including a 7mm length.
anyone else go that small and does it work good? im using fly

If Friction Saver used, mebbe should go larger, not smaller on chord diameter; for heat/friction concerns as Rock presents.

Lower friction at support, must be made up for more friction at hitch. Hence, friction saver etc. that reduces friction at support/bend on line; would give more heat problems at friction hitch i think. So wieght and support friction i think will alter desireable hitch charachteristics, chord diameter and composition(?).

Brian, I've got 3/8th Sta-Set on my lanyard-works fine. I tried some 3/8ths Wellington stuff on my climbing line and it worked well but I'm still using 5/16ths Sta-Set most of the time. Yesterday my hitch ate a loose rubber flap off my Wonderglove while exiting the tree and completely locked me up about 2.5-3 feet off the ground. That sucks big, hairy, slobber encrusted moose lips.:rolleyes:

i've been using that tenex uptil now which i got on really well with from the start. only problem is it seems to loose shap pretty quick and also its heck of a price as a pose to buying a length of cord at £1 a time

That sucks big, hairy, slobber encrusted moose lips.
12.gif
Your a sick little monkey J!
crazy.gif

just to expand on this, im going to pop down to my local sailing supplies sometime this week to try out some of their cords since they have so many. regardless of diameter, what is the minimum breaking strain for v.t cord

I use a polly double braid 5/16 frequently, but since I got a length of rescue Blue Water from John via Brian I've been uding that a lot. the cover wears a lot better then polly. I think it is 8mm kernmantle.

The polly lasts forever on my flipline, and if it gets gummed up with pitch it's cheap enough to replace.

I thnk the longevity ofthe product is worth the cost differance from the plain polly DB.

Going smaller I would worry about saw nicks as much as heat.

I have used all kinds of cord and still go back to 3/8 econo braid ar samson cord .The 3/8 sta -set was ok but seem to still burn.
I do like an 8mm cord from new england Zylon double braid but it is rather pricey $2.70 a foot and I think they stopped making it but west marine still has it.That is the cord in the pic

Stephen, The rule of thumb for tress cords has been to use half of the "required" 5400 lb minimum that ANSI lists for climbing lines. The theory is that since you have 2 legs of tress cord coming out of a modified basket configuration the strength is effectively doubled. That is not strictly true but, since the arbitrary 5400lb rating is a considerable measure greater than survivable fall forces, it doesn't matter in terms of safety. Climbing competitions have accepted the cords. -It is really easy to get greater strengths than 2700lbs anyway.:angel:

I still have about 30' of the old style ultra tech... works well, and I almost never burn out of the tree and probably do less climbing in a year than some of you do in a month...
Matter of fact... one of my favorite things about tree work these days is watching Big Jon doing his thing in those monster trees... Since meeting him, I don't climb the big ones anymore... It'd just be a waste of everyones time... But I AM losing weight and maybe I'll get back in shape one of these days... I actually may have heavy metal poisoning.. cadmium... Cleaning that up could make a big difference....

Originally posted by roachy
I have used all kinds of cord and still go back to 3/8 econo braid ar samson cord .The 3/8 sta -set was ok but seem to still burn.
I do like an 8mm cord from new england Zylon double braid but it is rather pricey $2.70 a foot and I think they stopped making it but west marine still has it.That is the cord in the pic

Hey Roachy,
Is that the 'biner setup that you and BigJohn have been using? I assume the main advantage is that the whole unit can be disconnected and reconnected as a whole unit? If I am wrong.....then what is the advantage?

Last edited:
Originally posted by murphy4trees
I still have about 30' of the old style ultra tech... works well, and I almost never burn out of the tree and probably do less climbing in a year than some of you do in a month...
Matter of fact... one of my favorite things about tree work these days is watching Big Jon doing his thing in those monster trees... Since meeting him, I don't climb the big ones anymore... It'd just be a waste of everyones time... But I AM losing weight and maybe I'll get back in shape one of these days... I actually may have heavy metal poisoning.. cadmium... Cleaning that up could make a big difference....

your honesty is great daniel,good luck with losing a few pounds

I use the Rope Guide friction saver on about 80% of my climbing. I use a 5/16ths line and it work well. Right now I am using a 4 wrap 4 braid VT, but the amount of wraps changes often.

love
nick

Stephen,

Why on earth would you want to go down to 7mm? regardless of breaking strain 8mm is the minimum diameter for friction hitch cord (UK) and with lines such as the 8mm Liros Herculus or 8mm Marlow single braid that work extremely well with a four warp three cross VT on fly, arborgold, XTC and new england Hi-Vee. I presume your not using a rope guide as your friction saver at your TIP? Even fujikuras Roblon 10mm works.

ccoop, the story is, my wife was going near to my local rock climbing store the other day and i asked her to pick me up a length of 8mm line. seeings as they were out of it, she bought me a length of 9mm and 7mm, she meant well.
anyways as i have it thought why not try it.
i use a friction saver with a pulley in answer to your other question.
i've only recently started using a v.t so im still experimenting.
just ordered some 8mm poly double braid also.
i really like the tenex im using right now, just so expensive and £10.50 a hit

How many of you all that are experienceing burning hands are using gloves... I use the ugly gloves and wouldn't go back.. Primarily they give a better grip which helps old, overweight, out of shape climbers move a little better. And protection from burn and scratches from the Zubat are icing on the cake...

I use the gold knit gloves, I dont like the way the latex on the other types get stuck in my hitch. As Justin so eloquantly described in an earlier post.

I frequently go without and just use a thumb and one or two fingers on the hitch.

Though I'm not climbing much these last few weeks.

JPS- The black and yellow stuff was good. I didn't like the fuzzy stuff. I am still experimenting with it.

oh, that's a secret.....shhhhhhhh

love
nick

Originally posted by murphy4trees
How many of you all that are experienceing burning hands are using gloves... I use the ugly gloves and wouldn't go back.. Primarily they give a better grip which helps old, overweight, out of shape climbers move a little better. And protection from burn and scratches from the Zubat are icing on the cake...

Gloves are nice but they make your hands hot and sweaty. When it gets over 75 or 80 degrees, I don't like them so much any more.

Back