Value of burned up saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy26R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Opportunity to buy a burned up stihl pro model.

Last edited:
Depends on 3 things:

Condition, condition, condition. :)

Really there's no way to put a price on it without knowing what it looks like. If its an inexperienced homeowner who took it out back, straight gassed it & blew the piston on the first tank of gas, it could be worth several hundred dollars (as catastrophic piston failure tends to actually be better for the cylinder than a slow death of a vacuum leak etc) as your only cost to get it back to near mint condition may be only a piston.

On the other hand, if its been ridden hard & put away wet day in/day out for its life, then it may only be worth $50-100- especially if you know you're going to need to replace lots of parts and even then may have a good running-poor looking saw.

Assuming "general" wear and tear for a saw of that age and the hope its just the piston, not the whole top end....I would expect somewhere between $150-250 - but it will vary greatly based on your area too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go over $35-40 personally. Alot depends on the rest of the condition of the saw. I gave $35.00 for a run over 372 with a bent 24" bar. Why? It had a high top air filter on it that is ok. Value on what you can see... not what it can be.

Looks brand new, less than year old. Said they pulled exhaust and piston looked scored.

Depends on 3 things:

Condition, condition, condition. :)...

Plus one for what Justin posted! If you haven't seen the saw, try to get some detailed photos, or better yet go see the saw if possible.

Price a new MS261 with the same bar & chain (unless the fried 261 is PHO). Then price a new OEM piston, a new OEM cylinder, & a new OEM p&c kit. If the saw is in VG+ cosmetic condition, you'll have a general idea of what it'll cost to repair it. I'd be careful not to get too close what you might expect to pay for a runner that doesn't need any work.

EDIT--Yes, I'm about to state the obvious:
If you plan to have a Stihl dealer do the work, be cautious (cheap) about how much you pay for the saw.

Last edited:
Opportunity to buy a burned up stihl pro model.

Much will depend on which "Pro model" it is.
If it is a current or very late model and parts are still readily available that will help a lot in the rebuild.
The other factor to consider is "Why is it scored?"
If you have to replace seals and gaskets and don't have the expertise that can get expensive QUICK!
Having been caught up in the C.R.A.P. ( Chainsaw Ressurection Addiction Phenomonon) with an 084 a while back I'll tell you real quick to decide what it is worth in running shape and don't pay any more than 1/4th of that for the project.
The "incidentals" will kill you. Those little things like fasteners, fuel lines, carb kits, air filters, oil lines etc that you dismiss as just a couple of dollars can run over a hundred dollars before you know it.

Good luck.....let us know how it turns out.

Mike

If it is a current or very late model and parts are still readily available that will help a lot in the rebuild.
If you have to replace seals and gaskets and don't have the expertise that can get expensive QUICK!
Having been caught up in the C.R.A.P. ( Chainsaw Ressurection Addiction Phenomonon) with an 084 a while back I'll tell you real quick to decide what it is worth in running shape and don't pay any more than 1/4th of that for the project.
The "incidentals" will kill you. Those little things like fasteners, fuel lines, carb kits, air filters, oil lines etc that you dismiss as just a couple of dollars can run over a hundred dollars before you know it.

Mike

That is the "Truth". Got an MS170 I thought needed a carb. kit. By the time I got it running I could have bought a new one and it's just an MS170. Loball on the price to pay. 25% of running used saw in comparable condition.
Shep

Last edited:
Non-running saw? Look at it as a paperweight and tell the owner so. When they know it has a problem, most likely they have an estimate for repairs. If the repairs are 300 and a used saw is worth 400, then 100 is the max you would ever pay.

I had a clean ms460 with a scored jug and piston. Parted it out for almost as much as a runner would be worth. It is up to you as the buyer to figure what you are willing to pay for it. There is alot of ways to look at the value of something. I had a real nice 2002 regal with light hail. Gentleman came to look at it loved the car but by the time he deducted the estimated cost of the hail damage. I should have paid him 500 to take it. He left mad and without the car.

Mike

Agreed. I picked up an 026 PRO for free, very light use. It fell off a shelf and now the handle is broken and has been sitting for several years with mix in the tank. I figured I would be in it a couple hundred.
When I tore it down for clean up, found the piston and cylinder are PRISTINE and the crank and bearings are good but that's it. Someone else has been in this thing and conveniently left a few critical parts out. Going to cost way more than buying a new one to fix this one.

Agreed. I picked up an 026 PRO for free, very light use. It fell off a shelf and now the handle is broken and has been sitting for several years with mix in the tank. I figured I would be in it a couple hundred.
When I tore it down for clean up, found the piston and cylinder are PRISTINE and the crank and bearings are good but that's it. Someone else has been in this thing and conveniently left a few critical parts out. Going to cost way more than buying a new one to fix this one.

True - but - that doesnt mean the saw is worthless. A pristine, OEM top-end on that saw is probably worth $125+ on an auction site as other other parts (covers = $25-30 a piece, tank/handle worth up to $50-60 etc)

I think, if you buy a lot of used saws, you have to be able to distinguish which saws are worth the money to fix & which are just worth parting out, but all can be worth money if you make the right decision.

Depending on what is missing I disagree. If you buy used parts and consumables that aren't necessarily original Stihl parts you can fix that 026 for waaaaay less than a brand new replacement. I bought a 028 Super last summer that had been straight-gassed for $30. I bought a aftermarket piston, crank seals, impulse line, fuel line and carb boot from Northwood Saw who is a sponsor here. The fuel tank was broken and I found a pristine one on eBay for $20 shipped. I also found a brand new Stihl B/C combo on eBay that was a lot less than list price. I could have bought a cheaper brand B/C but I wanted Stihl and I paid more than I could have.

I have a friend that was given a 026 that supposedly needed a lot of work. He got it running after a carb adjustment. We were at a local hardware store yesterday and he asked what a comparable saw cost. The dealer pulled out a MS261 and he said the list price was $559.99. Check it out here: Scarborough ACE Hardware - Scotts Valley, CA 95066 Scotts Valley - California If you got the 026 for free and can't fix it for less than that you are buying parts at the wrong place or you aren't being resourceful. If you don't want it I'll give you $30 for it.

Latest posts

Back