Who runs a 56 magnum AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFV

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a opportunity to buy this it belonged to my friends Grandfather. It’s a little big but I want to run it as my medium sized saw. So what do y’all think something like this is worth. It was put up running with the gas ran out.

Attachments

• IMG_3942.png
    IMG_3942.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3941.png
    IMG_3941.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3940.png
    IMG_3940.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3939.png
    IMG_3939.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3938.png
    IMG_3938.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I have a opportunity to buy this it belonged to my friends Grandfather. It’s a little big but I want to run it as my medium sized saw. So what do y’all think something like this is worth. It was put up running with the gas ran out.
Just sold one for a friend for $250 but it is worth whatever someone will pay.
they are good saws but heavy and slow.
run it with a 28-36” bar.

Run it with an 8 pin sprocket and get your chain speed up.
In that condition that saw will go for $500 on eBay easy.
Offer him $300. I had a neighbor gave me one free.
But, $300 is not an insult.
Thanks that is what I was thinking. They are friends so just want to be fair but it looks like it’s in decent shape. The old timer told me it took two people to run it.

What would you think? Have you ever ran one and what would you estimate it is worth.
I have a Magnum II, that runs great but doesn't look as nice as that, and I have been offered $350. for it. I agree with the above statements, that it depends on what it is worth to you. I love my beast, and have no interest in selling it even at $400.

Friends/family and business don't mix. This is business. If you want the saw, go in with your negotiating skills and see what you can get it for. How much you spend should be decided by YOUR wants and needs and how well the saw fills those, NOT who currently owns the saw. I normally think of medium saw as 60cc or maybe 70cc. That 056 is a +90cc saw that puts out over 6 hp. That puts it in the "big saw" category for me. If I needed a saw that size, I would start at $200, but I wouldn't go over $300 because that's about what I can get a newer saw of that size for. If the bar and chain are both in good condition, I might go a little higher. That's just me though.

Look at eBay completed sales. An 056 Super in no better shape than the Mag II shown went for $1283.
A decent looking Mag II went for $697.
I cannot comment on prices in the US. In Europe I'd say prices are similar to what you say. That's a clean, strong saw. No idea where I would get a 90cc saw in similar quality for 300 bucks.

There are new ignitions available from a company in germany for under 200 shipped, both the bosh and sim style. he 056 is a torque monster series of saws that shine in large wood, I thought I was going to damage the av mounts trying to bog mine with a buried 25" bar, thats how hard I was pulling on it. I will only bring it out if I can drive up to what im going to cut, it's heeaavvy...but when you need to cut huge trees it eats. It also uses the common large mount D25? style bars that all of my other stihl saws use so no need to buy the larger mount bars.
IMO thats a 1,000+ dollar saw to someone looking for a saw that size, for a friend that would sell it back to me if the need arose 3-600 depending what I have into it and its easy to put 400 in parts into one of them.

Latest posts

Back