Value of saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I build a vehicle I share what went into it with the buyer so they can fix it down the road. What about a ported saw? I was thinking of having Brad port one some time back, he's now retired. If I had my saw ported by him can I take it to a local dealer if it needs work I can't do? Sent it to Mastermind?

$800 seems a lot for a used MS441. The MS461 maybe, same weight, fewer "issues."
Google: MS441 review
result: Oh, I popped my plug!

If you took it to my local dealer, the awesome Stihl techs they have would just say “that doesn’t look right” then put you a new topend on it for the low low price of $500. If a warranty is that important to you, buy a new one. Just because a 69 Camaro has an LS swap doesn’t make it worthless. I wish that were the case, I’d be building another barn.... that saw in the right market where the right people see it will fetch north of $750 all day long if it’s cleanish.

When I build a vehicle I share what went into it with the buyer so they can fix it down the road. What about a ported saw? I was thinking of having Brad port one some time back, he's now retired. If I had my saw ported by him can I take it to a local dealer if it needs work I can't do? Sent it to Mastermind?

I’m not sure why not. Same premise to make the saw run. Just changed exhaust and port timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worried about warranty, just fixing/tweaking something I can't figure out (it happens).

Are there hotrod shops for saws? I've seen them here on the forum, not locally. If there was a mystery issue I'd ask a local dealer what they thought first, then call Brad if the issue persisted, then if necessary send it to one of the guys here on the forum rather than let a local shop touch a ported saw...because if the local shop guys were as good as the forum guys they'd be porting them.

I’m not sure why not. Same premise to make the saw run. Just changed exhaust and port timing.
Saw the videos on Mastermind porting a saw, seemed he did more work than that and a gasket delete to it.

Not worried about warranty, just fixing/tweaking something I can't figure out (it happens).

Are there hotrod shops for saws? I've seen them here on the forum, not locally. If there was a mystery issue I'd ask a local dealer what they thought first, then call Brad if the issue persisted, then send it to one of the guys here on the forum rather than let a local shop touch a ported saw...because if the local shop guys were as good as the forum guys they'd be porting them.

Saw the videos on Mastermind porting a saw, seemed he did more work than that and a gasket delete to it.

Yes, however the premise is the same to make a saw run. Porters don’t change the consumables or intricate parts that make a saw work. I guess what I’m saying is if you had a mastermind saw, and the crank seal was starting to go on it. Would you send it back to him to install a new crank seal or would you let a Stihl tech do it? My guess is most guys here would
A. Do it themselves
B. Be ok with a Stihl tech installing it

I think you would be hard pressed to find guys sending their saws back to the porter for issues like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You boys keep ding-donging around the issue the OP posted about. What amount of good folding cash money are you willing to offer for the saw?? Post up.

You boys keep ding-donging around the issue the OP posted about. What amount of good folding cash money are you willing to offer for the saw?? Post up.

So, you can’t read either? Interesting..... that’s not at all what he asked. He asked for the value of it. The value outside of New England is $750+, it’s not rocket science bud.

I answered the OP's question. You however, didn't answer mine. More than likely the saws you mentioned don't exist. That seems to be going around lately.

Back