Veggie oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is veggie oil funky or skunky?

• funky

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • skunky

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
Do you mean in my car? I'd run my 83 Mercedes 300D on veggie oil if I could get a good source of the stuff used in California without getting in trouble. It's a big deal here to transport the stuff without a licence.

I don't actually cut wood for a living. I put gas in my saw from my dirtbike's can. He doesn't even miss it. Plain ole 50:1 or leaner gas:premix.

I just looked a little longer at this thread. I saw pictures of a saw with frozen vegetable oil in it. You guys are tough. I also think that using vegetable oil to lube your chain makes a bunch of sense. More than one of you said something about the Sthil bio chanin oil. I read Sthil's propaganda on that stuff. I wonder if it is vegetable oil. What else could it be?
Someone else said something about using natural oil for premix. I think the Maxima racing castor is nearly edible. Don't quote me on that. It provides bigtime bottom end protection and high viscocity. Don't use it in anything with oil injectors like an outboard motor. I think the reason everyone doesn't use it that's racing motorcycles offroad, is that it's so thick, that syntetics like redline and motorex racing 2t are a bit faster.

http://www.maximausa.com/products/2stroke/castor927.asp

If I'm getting too off subject, let me know and I'll strip some of this stuff out.

Ive seen the 35 pound containers of oil. Anyone know specifically how many gallons are in one?

The jug packaging doesnt say.

Ive seen the 35 pound containers of oil. Anyone know specifically how many gallons are in one?

The jug packaging doesnt say.

Metric to standard and weight to volume conversions suck......but here's what I came up with.

Most veg oils weigh about 920 grams/liter = 3482 grams/gallon. There are 453.6 grams/pound, so each gallon of veg oil weighs 7.677 pounds.

So a 35 pound jug of veg oil should hold 4.559 gallons of oil.

I've been watching and reading more than posting lately, guess I just didn't have much to say. But I've read this whole thread, and you hit on an idea I was thinking about for quite awhile. I work around alot of lake shores, and even had to cut in the water itself, it always disheartened me to see the slick I leave behind. Also around here in the winter time we cut alot of trees on the ice...easiest way to drop them and haul them off the lakeshores...when the ice thaws...well we know where the oil goes.

You guys sold me. I'll break out the old veggie oil as soon as I use up my stock of Fleet Farm special. Great post, and thread.

As far as you old dogs that think you can't change or try something new, I am about as old style as they get...but If I can't learn something new...just bury me, I've outlived my usefulness to this world.

You know, I've been meaning to actually vote on this poll but the wording has me a bit confused. Both funky and skunky around here mean pretty much the same thing-mainly NOT GOOD. So which one do I choose if I like the veggie?

I"ve read this whole thread and I'm going to try veg-oil or something comparable. If nothing else for the times when my kids rag on me about being "set in my ways and not willing to adopt modern technology"

You guys inspire me. The switchover can only benefit you and your family. If there are disadvantages, look hard for them. I mean, be really critical of it's performance. If there are bad points, we all should be aware of them. So far, SRT tech and his overpriced distributer has been the only negative so far in this thread, that and that the veggie oil may combust if you cut into logs that are on fire.

You old dogs really have me impressed with how you're looking closely at this and seeing the sense in changing over. Old habits and beliefs are hard to change, but you're doing it. Good on you.

I'm all about helping out the enviroment surrounding us. Veggie oil is a great idea! I'm new but would'nt regular oil from a chain saw splattered on to a fresh cut cause a chance of injuring a trees health? I'm thinking about picking up an MS-250 soon, should I use veggie oil?:blob2:BTW keep in mind that I'm in Alaska and winter temps get easily below -0F in winter!

Last edited:
SRT, you seem to have a problem with veggie. Would you care to share your feelings on this?

If there's something legitimately wrong we all want to know what it is.

AK chopper live in a land whose coasts and waters, the birds and sea mammals were decimated for a long period by the toxic spill the same stuff we put in our bar tanks. Oil spills are definitely considered a bad thing, yet we do it on a personal and relatively invisible level day after day.

Some of us truly care about the environment, and I really embrace that, especially in Americans as we don't exactly have the best track record. As practitioners in the green industry, the fact is WE are the caretakers of trees, and the public perception of us is one of environmental sensitivity, as well it should be. Spraying petroleum oil onto the land is our dirty little secret.

agggghhh prices are going up for veggie oil.

$16 for 5ga at Sam's, was $13 not too long ago.

16 for 5 gal? Just over three bucks a gallon, And that's a problem?

Bio-oil, someone said earlier, is about $18 PER gallon.

Regular petroleum chain lube, price PER GALLON, someone help me out, I don't buy it, so I don't really know but lets do the breakdown, I mean really crunch the heck out of the numbers and get to the real deal on this price thing, side-by-side. There is nothin to hide here.

SRT, you seem to have a problem with veggie. Would you care to share your feelings on this?

If there's something legitimately wrong we all want to know what it is.

AK chopper live in a land whose coasts and waters, the birds and sea mammals were decimated for a long period by the toxic spill the same stuff we put in our bar tanks. Oil spills are definitely considered a bad thing, yet we do it on a personal and relatively invisible level day after day.

Some of us truly care about the environment, and I really embrace that, especially in Americans as we don't exactly have the best track record. As practitioners in the green industry, the fact is WE are the caretakers of trees, and the public perception of us is one of environmental sensitivity, as well it should be. Spraying petroleum oil onto the land is our dirty little secret.

:) TM, i have no problem with veggie oil at all...I did try it in my ol Husky 61, heck i bought 5 gallon pails of it and went thru it pretty quick. We use Stihl bio-oil at work (although the smell of it makes me queasy). my only issues with it are the cost (at least up here in BC). I have spent between $45 CDN and 75 cdn for a 5 gallon pail, which is almost triple what i pay for a 5 gallon pail of reg bar oil (from industrial dealer). I cant always afford to run it, thats all. That was'nt even the reason i posted above...i just get the chuckles when the topic comes up, the religious fervor about veggie oil is somewhat amusing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

edit...when i find a cheaper source for veggi oil, you cna bet i will buy it...i'm not partial to the greasy stink form reg bar oil after a hard days cuttin'

Thank you Tree Machine for your reply. Any real tests out there on using veggie oil in sub 0 temperature? This is a fantastic website! Great job guys!:)

Latest posts

Back