Veggie oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is veggie oil funky or skunky?

• funky

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • skunky

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
mdaalmeijer said:
Tree Machine,
Thank you for your effort and integrity.

No more petroleum based oil for my chains and bars! Will spread the word over here when i have had my own test.

Greetings and all the best
with respect,
maarten
Thank you, Maarten. A visitor from France is a special treat for us. Welcome!

Tree Machine said:
(upcoming, veggie in subfreezing temps)
Looking forward to hearing about this. Switched over to cooking oil in my smaller saws last week (your arguments were very persuasive, congrats.) Seems to be running fine so far and will probably switch over in my long bars in a few weeks. But running it in freezing temps is my biggest concern. Also the fact that my saws usually stay right in the back of my truck (don't worry, I have a cap so at least they're not getting snowed on) unless they are being worked on. So if I leave a saw out in zero degree weather overnight with a full oil tank, how long before it warms up enough to flow the next morning?

Just started runing veg oil it works great so far

I have 200t and huskey 575xp it work really good. My employee thought I was nuts for using it. But it does work good and price it for $3.99 gallon and no sells taxes in Ma on veg oil.

Yea, you don't have to pay sales tax on food.

Between you and me, 26-noob, this is our little way of 'stickin it to the man. ;)

And getting back to beowulf's straight-on question about low temperature veggie behavior.

What excellent timing. In the northern hemisphere of earth, right now, Winter weather is marching forward. Around Dec 1 the whole eastern third of the US got wallopped by a major rain and wind system. The lower half of that third got miosture as rain. The upper half of the midwest, eastern US got rain, freezing rain, snow, sharp drops in temperatures where everything froze and that all started last weekend. It's now Friday and right now, 7:45 am it is frickin COLD. It has been constantly frozen for about a week straight.

I been out working in it every day, because with tree guys, y'know what they say about serious storm weather...... when the sun shines......
attachment.php

OK, so here's the deal. EVERYONE in that map area is experiencing the cold; so are everyone west and east of that map. Beowulf is more east and more north. I am SURE you are experiencing temps around 0 degrees F.

How is YOUR veggie oil performing in this weather? Mine's fine, so I've almost got to assume yours is, too. In 0 degree F weather, if your oil flows, you're good to go. The oil doesn't change lubricity in cold weather, it retains all that. What changes, though only ever so slightly, is the pourability characteristics coming out of the bottle.

Since everyone in the northern half of the US and ALL of CANADA is frozen, I invite any one of the dozens of you to pipe in and share what your veggie does in the cold.

There is only one way I can share with you, how corn oil pours in the actual temperatures we're talkin about here, so I'm going outside with the video camera, and a red paper plate (for contrast) and I'm gonna ford this frozen, forsaken tundra so YOU can see how veggie oil flows at 8 degrees, F.

Brrrrr. Gimme a minute on this. You just sit right there, or get yourself a cup of hot chocolate while I freeze my butt off for youz guyz. :D

I know this post is a little old

I just had tonsillectomy it is good to know I am not the only one. How long did you take off work .

... take off work, Huh? Who said anything about that? I had a full schedule, and then this storm event thing. I haven't had a day off in almost two weeks. Shoulda taken that one rain day off because the next day all my ropes and saddle and biners were all frozen. Slings as stiff as rods. It made climbing and rigging very challenging.

OK, in this video, you'll note a little camera shake, that's because I'm, freezing my arse off. I missed the first pour, so I had to get the oil back in the bottle, then pour it again so you can clearly see what veggie looks like.

Then Elizabeth wants me to take out the garbage.

All I want is to have a nice, warm cup of coffee, read a few threads, let the sun come up. Instead I'm hiking the Arctic in a bathrobe and slippers, freezing my arse off. This is not my beautiful thought, this is not my comfortable place....what...? How did I get here?

:)D )

Here, you guys enjoy the video. I've gotta go to work.

??tree machine

I was replay to the kid who had a tonsillectomy about a month ago . i just had the same surgery done .If you were talking about missing work cause of the cold I do snow removal so I never miss work cause it is cold out .

Just a thought

Almost everybody is adgreeing that this works .So now if everybody that own a chainsaw started using veggie this would differently make some kind of difference. I am just afraid that all my friend will laugh at me when i start pouring veggie oil in my saw . I will try this on at least one of my saws .

Here's how to make those silly blokes laugh. You empty out one of those veggie oil jugs, a quart or whatever. Empty it out real good, and refill it with apple juice. If they give you even the least bit of a hard time, you tell em

"It's because it's NON-TOXIC to the environment and to all living things. It's safe to work with and I'll prove it."

Hand him a jug of petro oil. You grab the jug of apple juice.

"I dare ya."

OK, I'm being silly. But just for the sake of additional silliness, the veggie jugs I buy most often are 48oz. X 28.6 grams in an ounce= 1,373 grams and there are 9 calories per gram of at, 9 x 1,373= 12,355 calories of food energy (Kcals)

attachment.php

So there are 576 calories in a Big Mac

12,355 divided by 576.....

Calorically speaking, there are 21.45 Big Macs in a medium-size bottle of cooking oil. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You guys have got me thinking about how much oil i actually pour out into the environment. Usually at least 2 gallons per week x 50 weeks. That is one hell of a lot of contamination! I'm gonna make the switch over to the safer cleaner veg oil as soon as i finish off these last couple jugs of poulan oil.
Plus it has to be a great marketing advantage.

Tree Machine said:
OK, I'm being silly. But just for the sake of additional silliness, the veggie jugs I buy most often are 48oz. X 28.6 grams in an ounce= 1,373 grams and there are 9 calories per gram of at, 9 x 1,373= 12,355 calories of food energy (Kcals)

attachment.php

So there are 576 calories in a Big Mac

12,355 divided by 576.....

Calorically speaking, there are 21.45 Big Macs in a medium-size bottle of cooking oil. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ya you missed my pointless point, you should be able to (or not *gag*) glook back a half bottle of veggi oil and iffin you don't barf, collect yer bet, eat a couple of raw eggs and go for a sauna, hey mom, look, no dishes! On a fine note show me 1 person that wouldn't puke after 10 Big Macs....... Aw carp nm, I go now sleep :mad:

Tree Machine said:
Shoulda taken that one rain day off because the next day all my ropes and saddle and biners were all frozen. Slings as stiff as rods. It made climbing and rigging very challenging.
Ha, ha. You know it's going to be a good day on the job when you pull your ropes out of the truck and the coils stand upright on the ground all by themselves!:laugh: That's part of the reason i quit using three strand bull ropes-I swear when they got frozen, they somehow morphed into rebar!!

Tree Machine said:
OK, so here's the deal. EVERYONE in that map area is experiencing the cold; so are everyone west and east of that map. Beowulf is more east and more north. I am SURE you are experiencing temps around 0 degrees F.

How is YOUR veggie oil performing in this weather? Mine's fine, so I've almost got to assume yours is, too. In 0 degree F weather, if your oil flows, you're good to go. The oil doesn't change lubricity in cold weather, it retains all that. What changes, though only ever so slightly, is the pourability characteristics coming out of the bottle.
Actually, I've been lucky this week (or unlucky depending on how you look at it.) The first real cold spell this winter and I haven't had to work out in it all week!! Had a "christmas decorating accident" last week and the doctor has me on light duty till next Wednesday. So I've just been driving around all week bidding jobs for the company while you poor saps are busy working.:D Haven't been in a tree or even started a saw for 7 days now-starting to get a bit shaky, think I'm going through withdrawal.:help: But it has been cold!! Bid a job this morning in the back hills of Cattaraugus County-27 inches of snow, 8 below!
So to answer your question, I don't yet know how my veggie oil is performing in this weather. Had a couple of days before the "accident" that were down in the teens and I didn't have any trouble. But I have kept a half full jug of canola, corn and veggie oil sitting outside the shop all week. When i go in every morning, I check out their pourability (is that a word?) So far down to 4 above and no serious problem filling a saw-just pours a little slower. But hey, what doesn't move slower in cold weather? Even I take a little longer getting out of the truck when the mercury hovers around zero.;) Oh, and the other half of the oil that was in those jugs? Well, one of the concerns I had was the oil freezing, expanding, and cracking the oil tank. Yeah, I know, a little 'out there', but I've seen stranger things happen. So I poured each of the oils into a cup and threw them in the freezer. Tree-Machine was right!! They don't really freeze and expand. They just turn into a gelatinous slurry. Corn and veggie oil seemed to 'jello' at around zero. But the canola is still runny even after two days in the freezer!! I don't know if I just have a weak freezer or if I somehow got some mutated, super canola. But I am impressed. And the speed at which the three oils warm up is very impressive. Even the corn and veggie when fully gelled, thawed enough to pour after just a couple minutes on the floor of my truck with the heater running. However, the truck is not always running, so I had my groundies experiment with setting the bottle of oil on the cover of my chipper engine (which stays running pretty regularly.) Even with the chipper at idle and the temps between 5 and 10 all day, they reported no problems keeping the oil runny (just have to remember to take the bottle off the chipper before leaving the job-may have to weld a little box there just to hold it.) I actually have no more reservations about running canola in my saws. Will start running it full time when I'm back to work.
TM, sorry if I just reiterated what you've been saying. I just had to test your claims for myself.
Tree Machine said:
OK, in this video, you'll note a little camera shake, that's because I'm, freezing my arse off. I missed the first pour, so I had to get the oil back in the bottle, then pour it again so you can clearly see what veggie looks like.

Then Elizabeth wants me to take out the garbage.

All I want is to have a nice, warm cup of coffee, read a few threads, let the sun come up. Instead I'm hiking the Arctic in a bathrobe and slippers, freezing my arse off. This is not my beautiful thought, this is not my comfortable place....what...? How did I get here?
Got to admit-I'm impressed with your passion when it comes to extolling the virtues of veggie oil!

I think pointing out the positives of veggie is a better approach than pointing out the negatives of petro. I like to think the information is being laid out for the operators, the actual use and trial will make a believer. Now, the difference between bar and veg at these low temperatures, you say the veg pours a little slower, and that is true, but the bar you will have to wait- it gets slower with every degree of temperature drop.

Once inside, if the saw is cold, veggie still goes through the pump without any extra effort on part of the oil pump. If you really work with the stuff you see that veggie doesn't really change viscosity. Seemingly it does, but only when the oil is still. Once moving, or agitated, flow characteristics improve, regardless of temperature. With petro bar, it remains very thick, very viscous until the insides of the saw warm up. Until then, the oil pump, is under strain. Agitation or the motion of flow do not change the viscosity of bar.

The expansion/cracking of the tank, that's not at all possible. Expansion due to freezing is purely a water thing, very unusual characteristic that it expands once it hits its freezing point. Pretty much every other substance, compound or element on earth contracts when colder.

I've got a tip for when your veggie gets really gellacious, I mean if you're into working in below zero F weather and you're out there suckin it up and makin it happen, but that'll have to wait. Got a juicy, multi-stem maple over a house and deck I started yesterday afternoon and gotta go.

Please be careful warming your veggie up near the chipper manifold. I have never warmed my veggie to get it to pour, but the simple 'fix' I'm gonna show you will amaze you in its simplicity and wipes out the 'problem' of low temp pouring.

Remember, the only real hangup here is getting the oil from the bottle into the saw. The saw has no problems pumping super cold veggie. I think you will understand why a little better when I show you this trick. It deserves a picture.

Latest posts

Back