Veggie oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is veggie oil funky or skunky?

• funky

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • skunky

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
Tree Machine,

Thanks for the information. I think I'll try some veggie oil in my saw the next time I use it.

What oil are we talking here? Corn oil like Crisco or what? Can i go wrong with veggie oil? Is there anything bad to use?

I am 100% open to using a green oil. Especially with a lot of my cutters being near waterways. Or those with livestock and other critters running around.

Tree Machine said:
Anyway, here's a downloadable publication from the United States Department of Agriculture. Elmore gave this to us in page 2 of this thread, http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdf/98511316.pdf

Yeah...that's the ticket. A published study with some real world data. Also information as to health effects of exposure to petroleum oils.

I hear that olive oil would not be a good oil to use. Good for your heart and Popeye but not a bar and chain. Go with canola...it works well...greater affinity to metal surfaces and better lubricity.

Why Canola oil as opposed to another type of vegtable oil? Crisco is cheap.

One reason to use green oils is the environment, the rest is cost. Most guys aren't going to spend more money on oil just cuz it helps the environment. These same guys pour their old gas on the weeds in their driveway.

Oils I liked:soy bean
canola

Oils I did not: corn oil, carbonized to much and solidified to fast.

Sam's Club usually has 35# for less than $15.00 which is around 5 gallons. I like the heat stabilized cooking oils they carry. Works good. I do consume more soy oil than petro oil per tank of gas. I would say between 10-25%, depending on the saw. Branded bar oil around here is $9.50 -14.50 a gallon this year. Store brands and Poulan is around $4.00. My wife likes how easily the veggie oils wash out of the clothes and the smell better. The environmental concerns should be what can be done to reduce the amount of petro oil consumed and dispersed. It is a simple concept. I am always amazed by how hard it is for people to grasp that less usage and dispersal is better, that is why most new saws come with modern low volume oilers and manual backups are a thing of the past. For the average user there should not be a down side if the saw is properly maintained. If they cannot maintain a saw, then they should not have one. Same goes for cars, guns and kids.

DOLMARatOs said:
Why Canola oil as opposed to another type of vegtable oil? ...

Canola has a greater affinity to metal surfaces and better lubricity than mineral oils.

Last edited:
DOLMARatOs said:
Why Canola oil as opposed to another type of vegtable oil? Crisco is cheap.

One reason to use green oils is the environment, the rest is cost. Most guys aren't going to spend more money on oil just cuz it helps the environment. These same guys pour their old gas on the weeds in their driveway.

Feel free to call those guys exactly what they are. They are stupid and the very reason why there are so many environmental laws. You do not have to spend more to be good to the environment. If Chevy(any car company) sold gas, would they be so stupid as to only buy Chevy brand gas.

:clap: I think we should all run veggie oil so we can grow more sunflower seeds for the spotted owls. WHAT THE HELL AM I READING HERE? A saw forum promoting enviros.? Burn ALL the oil u can, lets just stick with America's resources

madmax said:
:clap: I think we should all run veggie oil so we can grow more sunflower seeds for the spotted owls. WHAT THE HELL AM I READING HERE? A saw forum promoting enviros.? Burn ALL the oil u can, lets just stick with America's resources

That would be a short burn. Maybe five-10 years, unless the Golf kicks hard faster. Spotted owls are pretty. I like eagles and hawks too. Ducks drive me quackers. I must say that I have always like a good pair of hooters.

madmax said:
:rock: not.
This makes about as much sense as *insert your own cliche here* :censored: 'n :bang:
Stick with America's resources??? Man, me thinks you've been running too many machines up wind............oh, you must mean money, the stuff you buy oil with, from other places.........doh!! An oh agin, owls are carnivors and, this particular forum is inside an arborist's site, people who do generally care about the plants and environment around them, sheesh, get a grip lolol. Remember this next time yer out fishing and have to identify the species by counting the eyes and size of tumors.

:ices_rofl:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Beans

Castor oil is a great natural lubricant. I have used it in my bikes and saws for years. I am gonna give the canola a shot. I'd rather pay an American farmer for his veggie than a sheik for his dino!

Tree Machine said:
Anyway, here's a downloadable publication from the United States Department of Agriculture. Elmore gave this to us in page 2 of this thread, http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdf/98511316.pdf
This study did point out a negative, in descibing one vegetable oil, it was stated "Rall would not recommend using these products in a fire situation such as bucking burning logs because it appeared that the oil comes off or evaporates in extremely hot conditions.

Last edited:
That's a very good question, MD.

Stihl makes bio oil, 99+% veggie, and if using straight veggie could void a warrantee, then arguably Stihl Bio plus would also.

I use 100% vegetable oil for my bar oil. No problems, but it builds up my appetite when it heats up and smells like food's cooking. That can sometimes be a bit like torture if I'm already hungry. When you're cutting in the full sun and you see your chain throwing off that petroleum-based bar oil, think about what you're inhaling when the wind blows that crap back at your face, and then go out and get some vegetable oil. You'll be glad you did.

I've heard a couple guys mention the smell and of it makin em hungry. I've taken it as a joke because in all the years I've used veggie, the only time I smelled a 'flavor' was when using peanut oil and it smelled like, suprisingly, peanuts. The other oils have a very inert smell to begin with. In the hundreds of days of cutting with veggie so far, I really push the saws. The 346 with the impressive RPMs it can dish out, as well as the power to back it, I'm more gentle when climbing and trimming, but when bucking firewood I'm crankin the dawgs and being rather aggressive, pushing the saw hard like I'm sure many of us do. As for the 395, that baby was made to cut big wood and I pressure that saw to perform to its outer limits.

I actually try to wear the bar, but at the same time I am a freak about keeping the chains sharp.

So the smell is still kind of a mystery topic. If you are using strained, filtered fryer oil (which I don't personally recommend), then it starts out with an aroma so it stands to reason that running it through a saw, you will smell fish or french fries, or breaded mushrooms, mmmm.... (uh, back on topic), when it gets sprayed out into the environment. I can imagine a very confused and frustrated family of raccoons visiting your jobsite at night just KNOWING there's a meal somewhere in the area. :laugh:

As far as corn, it's the starch that gives corn its corny smell and there's no starch in corn oil. I don't even know what a canola smells like. Soybean? Again, just a very neutral aroma, cold or hot.

If you get a smell, note whether your saw is expelling powder or chips. Is it cutting through the wood slowly, or is each cut making you smile? Are you forcing it, or is the saw doing the work and pulling itself through the cut? Are you getting ANY smoke coming from the kerf? Is your bar turning blue on the pressure side? These questions will determine the amount of wear on your bar and chain system and will be consistent no matter what oil you use, veggie or dino. If you run dull chain, you will increase the wear on your bar, that is just a fact. Keeping your chain sharp is a personal responsibility. I just can not stress enough the importance of that.

(upcoming, veggie in subfreezing temps and veggie while milling)

Thanks Tree Machine

Tree Machine,
Thank you for your effort and integrity.

No more petroleum based oil for my chains and bars! Will spread the word over here when i have had my own test.

Greetings and all the best
with respect,
maarten

Latest posts

Back