vertical shaft engine to pump mounting pics anybody

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am building a splitter with a 12.5 hp vertical shaft kohle engine and a barnes and haldex 22 gpm pump. From what I understand I have to make my own pump to engine mount. I would like if somebody could share some pics of ones they built. It helps me get the wheels turning by seeing different ideas.

I would make the pump belt drive. Use a double belt setup.This way you can more easily start the engine in cold temps. Then engage the pump.Use a flat plate to mount the engine and the pump to. Then an idler pulley setup. Or better yet an electric clutch if you have an electric start engine!

isn't that where a lovejoy comes in? thats all that is holding my pump to the engine.

I just looked my 12.5 hp kohler command doesn't have any holes in the bottom except the 4 mounting holes to hold the motor down. Time to start building I guess.

I am storing up pages and ideas for my next splitter build.The vertical shaft engines are pretty reasonably priced vs a horizontal shaft.The dealers get kinda upset when you start taking pictures of the splitters at the shows. I need to see a demo of a smaller Timberwolf with a 4 way on it splitting some of my elm to see if it is my splitter or if it is just the wood. I run a 4x24 ram w/1.75 piston and a 11 gal minute pump.It will split anything no matter how gnarly without the 4 way but stalls with the 4 way. My guage pegs at 2350 psi.I do not know how the Timberwolf goes with a 6 way with only adding a 5" cylinder for power.

I am storing up pages and ideas for my next splitter build.The vertical shaft engines are pretty reasonably priced vs a horizontal shaft.The dealers get kinda upset when you start taking pictures of the splitters at the shows. I need to see a demo of a smaller Timberwolf with a 4 way on it splitting some of my elm to see if it is my splitter or if it is just the wood. I run a 4x24 ram w/1.75 piston and a 11 gal minute pump.It will split anything no matter how gnarly without the 4 way but stalls with the 4 way. My guage pegs at 2350 psi.I do not know how the Timberwolf goes with a 6 way with only adding a 5" cylinder for power.
is your pump a two stage

Your splitter at 2350 psi is equaling 14.7 tons. A 5" bore cylinder at the same psi will produce 23 tons. The change from 4" bore to 5" bore equals a 50% increase in tonnage.
Type of wood and wedge design play a big part when using 4 or 6-way wedges.

I am building a splitter with a 12.5 hp vertical shaft kohle engine and a barnes and haldex 22 gpm pump. From what I understand I have to make my own pump to engine mount. I would like if somebody could share some pics of ones they built. It helps me get the wheels turning by seeing different ideas.

don't use any pulleys.

i'm using a 12.5 kohler

this is how i did mine.

Take a close look at that kohler cause

some of those engines were made to work either horz. or Vert. My 16 HP Kohler command was made that way. I did not find out till I was too far gone. But I did mount mine using a small mount from Dalton Hydro. I cut off the portion that mounts to the engine and welded a 4x6 inch plate to it and mounted it to the underneith of the plate that the engine bolted to

It works great

when i built my splitter if you want to make it belt driven you have to buy a counter clockwise pump.......thats what i wanted to do but it was way to expencive so i just love joyed it and was done...i just took a piece of construction paper and cut and traced out the holes for the pump and re traced it on a piece of 1/4 plate and cut it out and made my own bracket

125338d1266197997-motor_mount_sm2-jpg

125339d1266198030-motor_mount_sm-jpg

Here is how I did mine. The pump is a 28 gpm Barnes from Northern Tool.

I used a bracket for a kohler engine but had to put both bolt patterns in my engine mount plate. The "studs" for the pump bracket are flat head bolts that I tack welded into the counter sunk holes. Motor plate is 3/8" thick to accommodate flushing the 7/16" flat head bolts. I got the pump mount at Surplus Center.

Be sure to use some loctite on the set screws on the love joy halves. The unpainted picture has some evidence of what happens if you don't.

Here is a link to the thread that we have talked about this before. http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/125683.htm#post2036839
Don.

I would make the pump belt drive. Use a double belt setup.This way you can more easily start the engine in cold temps. Then engage the pump.Use a flat plate to mount the engine and the pump to. Then an idler pulley setup. Or better yet an electric clutch if you have an electric start engine!

Eric,

I have seen it done and Swisher does make a splitter with a belt drive pump. The main problem I have been told from several people in the hydraulics business is that the pumps are not rated for an overhung load. The shaft is only 5/8" diameter and the bearings are not rated for the side load. I have not studied the Swisher units much so I cannot comment on their setup. They may use a differently spec'ed pump.

To do it right a jackshaft could be fabricated with a love joy coupling to connect the pump. The jackshaft would act as an overhung load adapter with the coupling at he end of the shaft to connect to the pump.

Don

yes

Eric,

I have seen it done and Swisher does make a splitter with a belt drive pump. The main problem I have been told from several people in the hydraulics business is that the pumps are not rated for an overhung load. The shaft is only 5/8" diameter and the bearings are not rated for the side load. I have not studied the Swisher units much so I cannot comment on their setup. They may use a differently spec'ed pump.

To do it right a jackshaft could be fabricated with a love joy coupling to connect the pump. The jackshaft would act as an overhung load adapter with the coupling at he end of the shaft to connect to the pump.

Don
the guys at splitez told me that swisher does make a pump that is made to be belt driven he said they are counter clockwise pumps...he said the pumps he sales and the barnes are not intended for a belt pulley...they wont take the side pressure...i bought a 22 gpm pump from them and am very happy..oh the swisher was three times as much as a regular pump

Grab the welder

I don't have any pic handy. Bolt a plate to the engine, bolt a plate to the pump, build the legs out of angle iron, and then you get to align the lovejoy with a hose clamp. Yes, a hose clamp :msp_blink:
You clamp around the complete joint and it gets it to stay aligned while you tack the legs in place. I have done several of these works like a charm. If you get the thing really straight it runs for years without failing. I have one spinning on my splitter that has split several hundred cords so far without issue.

I don't have any pic handy. Bolt a plate to the engine, bolt a plate to the pump, build the legs out of angle iron, and then you get to align the lovejoy with a hose clamp. Yes, a hose clamp :msp_blink:
You clamp around the complete joint and it gets it to stay aligned while you tack the legs in place. I have done several of these works like a charm. If you get the thing really straight it runs for years without failing. I have one spinning on my splitter that has split several hundred cords so far without issue.

I realize this is an old post. Patrick62, thanks for an answer I can execute fairly easily. I didn't want to buy the motor-to-pump adapter. Getting cheap after all the other expenses.

Back