VIDEO: Topping and dropping a 58" DBH Oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can run a long bar....because you can......learn how to run a bit smaller bar first.....you had a million different back cuts....if you wanna learn.....cut that tree down with your 66 and a smaller bar....few men can handle a bar that size....and most are in the business....because you have the power to run a bar that long...and u do.... doesnt mean you should. Im not trying to knock you or say Im better...nobody here will grade you because your a sponsor and your helpful to the guys and gals......I will give u a c-.... good luck

ok c+... I would rip into you but that 84 sounds tuff as nails.....so.......u passed.

Good score on the monster Oak, the 084 looked right at home!

Very interesting videos. Thanks for posting.

I am not comfortable critiquing the falling techniques but have been a crew manager for many years and will offer this.

There were a lot of times when the ground crew was loaded up too close. Fatigue started to show itself clearly and people were walking up and working within bar length or wood club of each other without a warning and personal awareness. No serious accidents but it is not a safe way to operate and an easy situation to avoid. Hopefully you can share the video with the crew.

Great videos Brad !!! That was better entertainment than watching any of the logging shows on Discovery channel. :) Lets see, about 30 minutes of footage there, about enough for one pilot episode. But you would need a whole lot more cussin, fightin, drinkin, and Drama..to make that sell though, i'm affraid! :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks for putting the time & effort into posting this stuff, you have more guts than most of us would, taking on a tree that size and posting for the whole world to see!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Nice work. I think the stihls were mad since you wore a dolmar shirt.

Great videos Brad !!! That was better entertainment than watching any of the logging shows on Discovery channel. :) Lets see, about 30 minutes of footage there, about enough for one pilot episode. But you would need a whole lot more cussin, fightin, drinkin, and Drama..to make that sell though, i'm affraid! :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks for putting the time & effort into posting this stuff, you have more guts than most of us would, taking on a tree that size and posting for the whole world to see!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Is this a call for Tommie, TwoKay, Steve, Rope, Roland and ole joat to come in and provide the "missing elements"?

Good job Brad. :clap: You got the tree down and the saws were doin' their job. Nice job on the vid-e-oh. :cheers:

Stay safe,

ole joat

Thanks for the vids. Brad!!!

Wow that was a monster white oak!!! Thought you did good on dropping her on down....First time with the long bar fallin one,, you was catchin on what was goin on with the end...Just not too many oaks that big for a person to cut anymore...Alot of work,,but looked like a fun time!!!!
Them men that was climbing overhead,,,I got alot of respect for them....Looked like they was calm as could be,,I would be bear hugging a limb or stroke out if I was that high, trusting only a rope keepin me from goin splat....
I sure enjoyed the vids!!! :clap:

I cant critique you on the falling procedure because I am no expert but I can say I have much better results when I make my horizontal cut first to aim the tree and then make my top cut and match up my cuts it makes for one very clean notch but I have only dropped about 50 trees and only two of them were near that size. That 084 sounded really mean and was pullin that 72 like most saws pull a 20. I was kinda hoping to see a little of the ported 076 in there too and Im a husky fan. Great job man and awesome video.

Yes I do.

I was just curious. I'm about 90% self taught and 10% watchin other's vids and readin (which really didn't occur much until the last year or so). Most of what i've learned was prior to watchin vids and reading anything. I've been felling and bucking for close to 7 years now and I don't know if I'm in the thousands of trees, but definetely upper hundreds. I've tried nearly everything with a lot of trial and error, UGLY stumps, mis-matched cuts, close calls and everything in between. I think its really about what works best for you and what your comfortable with. I started with conventionals and the way you described, but now use mostly humboldts and dogging in from the side. I am by no way knockin your technique and by other reactions to what you've said you know what your talkin about. Its just interesting to know how other guys do em and whats worked for them. Thanks for the reply.

Hey Brad the only real issue I had about the vid was where was the cold brew celebration at the end? :cheers: Once again thanks for the show! :clap:

Good vids Brad and you are well aware of your short comings using that large bar and I mean that in a positive way, as Farmboss said just because you could use a big bar didnt mean you had to. The most important thing for me was that athough you were not happy with the cuts you didnt lose your head and kept at the task without any drama so well done !
I had this to drop today so got to work both 090's and back tomorrow to cut up a slightly bigger one which is already down. Its not often you see two 090's on a job.
You will see I left a very high hinge which was because of a failure line running up the stem so if it did fail and split apart it was above me ! Which was a good job as it did start to split.
Thanks for the vids and well done Brad.

Last edited:
Good vids Brad and you are well aware of your short comings using that large bar and I mean that in a positive way, as Farmboss said just because you could use a big bar didnt mean you had to. The most important thing for me was that athough you were not happy with the cuts you didnt lose your head and kept at the task without any drama so well done !
I had this to drop today so got to work both 090's and back tomorrow to cut up a slightly bigger one which is already down. Its not often you see tow 090's on a job.
You will see I left a very high hinge which was because of a failure line running up the stem so if it did fail and split apart it was above me ! Which was a good job as it did start to split.
Thanks for the vids and well done Brad.

:agree2: Thats what I ment too..Brad didnt lose his head....Thats a thing where you got patience ,,or just say the hell with it then things get bad wrong really fast...
To me fallin one down with hardly no limbs on for a lean is the tuffest...I think he did damn good...

The most important thing for me was that athough you were not happy with the cuts you didnt lose your head and kept at the task without any drama so well done!

:agree2: Thats what I ment too..Brad didnt lose his head....Thats a thing where you got patience ,,or just say the hell with it then things get bad wrong really fast...

LOL. I had my Dad beside me when I was refueling, telling me to calm down, slow down, and take it easy:) The saws were fatiguing me fast and nerves were running high with a whole crew of guys watching me. I'm sure the BP was up there:)

Latest posts

Back