Vintage Steam Donkeys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in Washington State and have seen many vintage photos hanging up in old saw repair shops of steam donkey's. These mechanical giants were used around the turn of the century I believe. Does anyone know where I can see one in person? I have heard stories of people finding them abandoned out in the forest. Anyone ever run across one of these machines? I'm interested in seeing historical logging equipment. Thanks

I am sure sme people will chim in here for you.....but if you ever do find one when wondering around out there, try and get the GPS location of it. Most cellphones have the ability to store this info easily.

Some added info

The local small engine repair shop that I visit for my saw repair needs has many old black/white pictures of steam donkey's. The steam donkeys pictured were located a few miles out of town around the early 1920's. I asked the saw shop owner about the pictures and he explained that several of them are still located out in the local forest area. He did not know how to get to them. I'm guessing that one of the old-timer customers would probably know. I think it would be really neat to find one and document what's left.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but here goes. There is an absolutly great display of old logging equipment at the "Fort Humboldt State Historic Part" in Eureka. I haven't been there for a couple of years but there is at least one steam donkey there. Eureka isn't exactly next door to Spokane but is not all the way across the country either. When you see the way they did logging 100 years ago it is amazing that anybody surveived more than a couple of days. How would you like to guide a huge tree down a skid way, down the side of a mountain, with a large steam engine pulling on the other end?

As far as Spokane goes... I'm not sure. But there are a lot of logging museums over here on the West side of WA State. My Grandpa ran one of those things in the Elbe, and Ashford areas early on in his logging career. Then switched over to a shovel, and then a cat operator.

Gary

Yeah, Western Washington seems to have more logging stuff around than Eastern Washington. We have some logging......but mainly up north and eastward into the panhandle of Idaho. Like I said before, it would be interesting to find one of these steam donkeys left behind in the field.

Woodchux,

Awesome pictures! It's neat to see the pioneer days of logging. Any idea where those were taken? :popcorn:

Back