VOLKS-man your 361 is ready

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Clean bottom, thats always a good thing..

Way to take care of him Tom.

When I told my man down Stihl how far Volk was gonna drive to bring me that saw he said man your getting famous,LOL

Fact is Mow I've never had a problem with Stihl taking care of its customers, warranty or no warranty, they go the extra mile to keep the users happy..

Hey Tom, did you take a close up pic of the imperfection on the cylinder? Just interested in seeing it in better detail. :cheers:

Last edited:
attachment.php

After selling Lord knows how many 361's since they came out thats the very first cylinder I've had the pleasure of looking into..

attachment.php

Whatcha think Lake? If that was a old saw with alot of hours on it I would say some dirt injestion. However its only had about a 12 tanks through it so I have no clue what caused that scuffing on the piston other than the imperfection on the cylinder wall itself. Whats your take on it??

I also have had precisely ONE cylinder off a 361... and that was a cracked cylinder on a two year old saw that has been beat to crap by a local timber yard... and Stihl paid for it... IMO.. the cylinder bolts were loose...

Last edited:
attachment.php

Whatcha think Lake? If that was a old saw with alot of hours on it I would say some dirt injestion. However its only had about a 12 tanks through it so I have no clue what caused that scuffing on the piston other than the imperfection on the cylinder wall itself. Whats your take on it??

Must be the "imperfection".... Normally, I'd say - filter.... and a lot of hours..

attachment.php

Now Lake this kinda concerned me. I don't know nor understand that much varnish after 12 tanks. Whats your take on that?

Does this all make this saw "Thallerized"?

Volks you werent mixing you oil heavy, like 32:1 were you?

I don't know his mix but I thought maybe heat, possibly dull chain. However he does a great job on his chain, he hand files it and it was razor sharp.

Ok Volks I see at the bottom of the page. There's your pics and your ole saw is ready to boogie. I got it done this evening for ya. I don't know what rpms your dealer set that saw at but in the morning I'm gonna double check it and make sure its within specs. I only fired it up this evening but didn't have time to check the R's on it for ya. That will be taken care of in the morning and then she's yours. Glad I could help ya out...

o.k o.k

i'm here.
let the inquisition begin.
that really a lot of varnish?

i use oregon oil that says the same specs on it as echo powerblend,
egc-jaso-whatever. the gas was plus grade one time and super since. one time only, just before you got the saw, i had less than a 1/2 gallon of mix that was three weeks old. i put a fresh gallon on top of that with the proper amount of oil. no the three week mix did not have any left-over older mix in it. whatever is left in the can when i use the saws next (another 1-2 weeks) will not be going in them. that is the oldest mix i have ever used. i have never moved the carb screws, but i did stick the screwdriver in the h- hole once just fiddling around with my saw tools.

I don't know his mix but I thought maybe heat, possibly dull chain. However he does a great job on his chain, he hand files it and it was razor sharp.

i sharpen the chain, needed or not, at the end of the day and during the day as needed. it has never been dull (best i can tell, i'm no expert).

i have not moved the summer winter carb preheating thingamabob either.
so why would it be too hot? the temps on the shore have not been below freezing or above 65 while i have used the saw.

Latest posts

Back