VOLKS-man your 361 is ready

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm here.
let the inquisition begin.
that really a lot of varnish?

i use oregon oil that says the same specs on it as echo powerblend,
egc-jaso-whatever. the gas was plus grade one time and super since. one time only, just before you got the saw, i had less than a 1/2 gallon of mix that was three weeks old. i put a fresh gallon on top of that with the proper amount of oil. no the three week mix did not have any left-over older mix in it. whatever is left in the can when i use the saws next (another 1-2 weeks) will not be going in them. that is the oldest mix i have ever used. i have never moved the carb screws, but i did stick the screwdriver in the h- hole once just fiddling around with my saw tools.

Well for no more than you have run it I'd say thats alot of varnish. You quit using that off brand stuff and put Stihl Ultra in it. I've seen blower motors with 100's of hours on them with way less varnish using Ultra oil. Ya got one the best saws on the market, use the best oil my man..

BTW, you are a Elvis fan aren't ya??LOLOLOL

all hail tom hall!

now for the praise part.
service is too good, too fast!
i can't get out there to get it for at least a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that storage bill is gonna kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the pics look good!
the saw looks good!
did you try the saw? watch that oiler!!! you will oil your shoes if your not carefull!
thanks tom!

attachment.php

Now Lake this kinda concerned me. I don't know nor understand that much varnish after 12 tanks. Whats your take on that?

crappy mix???

i'm here.
let the inquisition begin.
that really a lot of varnish?

i use oregon oil that says the same specs on it as echo powerblend,
egc-jaso-whatever. the gas was plus grade one time and super since. one time only, just before you got the saw, i had less than a 1/2 gallon of mix that was three weeks old. i put a fresh gallon on top of that with the proper amount of oil. no the three week mix did not have any left-over older mix in it. whatever is left in the can when i use the saws next (another 1-2 weeks) will not be going in them. that is the oldest mix i have ever used. i have never moved the carb screws, but i did stick the screwdriver in the h- hole once just fiddling around with my saw tools.

That's a LOT.
Damn it... use Stihl Ultra, 50:1 premium gas, and it will look like new in 300 tanks!

Last edited:
i sharpen the chain, needed or not, at the end of the day and during the day as needed. it has never been dull (best i can tell, i'm no expert).

i have not moved the summer winter carb preheating thingamabob either.
so why would it be too hot? the temps on the shore have not been below freezing or above 65 while i have used the saw.

I didn't say it overheated, I said the varnish could be due to heat. Could be, not a yes it got hot. I don't think you have done anything wrong at all but that piston shows more varnish than it should, get the good oil, Ultra, and never look back...

now for the praise part.
service is too good, too fast!
i can't get out there to get it for at least a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that storage bill is gonna kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the pics look good!
the saw looks good!
did you try the saw? watch that oiler!!! you will oil your shoes if your not carefull!
thanks tom!

Hell with all that, only got one question for ya, you are a Elvis fan aren't ya,LOLOLOL Lakeside wants to know!!

Damn it... use Stihl Ultra and it will look like new in 300 tanks!

i will be using stihl ultra from here on out.

respectfully... i thought the general consensus 'round here was 'use quality oil and your good to go'. the dealer told me to use 'good oil' in it. i said i've been using oregon in the echos. he said 'that'll be fine'.

i repeat: i will be using stihl ultra from here on out.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh hmmmmmmmmmmmm, you are a Elvis fan aren't ya, I hate to put that old cylinder back on that saw in the morning,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

(mumbles to myself) boy i'd better be careful here....

yes sir! elvis is/was the man!

i'm gonna hafta bring you a fried peanut butter banana sandwich!

Thankya , thankya very much. I told Lake you was a big time Elvis fan, ask him about it,LOLOLOL

is there anything else i can look in to concerning the varnish?
could the original dealer have had it rich? would that do it?

i repeat: i will be using stihl ultra from now on.

For all you guys

I'm teasing Volk about Elvis for a reason. Ya see when he came by I took him through the shop, up in the store so he could peek at our display. He hung around about 3 hours all toll. He spotted my Husky tool box and took a pic of it to blackmail me with. Around 2pm a old guy that used to work with me came by. He went and got me a burger. When he came back him and me went in the office to eat. Another co-worker was talking with Volk.

I put Elvis up on YouTube and Volk stuck his head in the door. I said your a Elvis fan aren't ya. To my surprise Volk took a look at the little vid on YouTube and all the sudden he said well I gotta get going,LOLOL I'm not so sure he's really a Elvis fan after all,LOL

is there anything else i can look in to concerning the varnish?
could the original dealer have had it rich? would that do it?

i repeat: i will be using stihl ultra from now on.

No worry, you got a new piston and cylinder. You use Ultra oil and your varnish problems are history. I'll set the carb on it in the morning for ya and you'll be all set..

When he got done with the oiler improvement he took a look through the exhaust port and saw that spot below the intake port. .

No, don't pull your jug on your 460. Remember Volk didn't pull his cylinder off, I did so after contacting Stihl about the issue. So the warranty stays in tack..

Tommie,,,, You know I totally believe you are one heck of a saw/2smoke tech right?????? This has me wondering....If tha piston is still in tha saw,,,,it would have to be @ or on the way down to the bottom of the exhaust stroke to look over the top of the piston,,,,, right???? and even when th eexhaust is closed the bottom of the skirt doesnt clear the exhaust to where you can see the intake side does it??????

Now I am totally confused!!!!! :monkey: (Whats new Eh???)

the only part of
the intake side that would be visible would be above the intake port and it would have to be way above the port because the intake port is completely full of piston skirt when the exhaust is coming fully open??????

Wait I know his saw has a new proto type see through piston??????:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm teasing Volk about Elvis for a reason. Ya see when he came by I took him through the shop, up in the store so he could peek at our display. He hung around about 3 hours all toll. He spotted my Husky tool box and took a pic of it to blackmail me with. Around 2pm a old guy that used to work with me came by. He went and got me a burger. When he came back him and me went in the office to eat. Another co-worker was talking with Volk.

I put Elvis up on YouTube and Volk stuck his head in the door. I said your a Elvis fan aren't ya. To my surprise Volk took a look at the little vid on YouTube and all the sudden he said well I gotta get going,LOLOL I'm not so sure he's really a Elvis fan after all,LOL

untill i pick up tht saw i am an elvis fan!

after that.....:)

to be sure i would have stayed and learned some more things. i really, really wanted to watch the 026 build!!!!!!!! i've been trying to ruin one of those recently (ask lakeside). truth is i felt like i was in the way.
that and i did have another 3.5 hour to drive to get to pennsylvania!

Tommie,,,, You know I totally believe you are one heck of a saw/2smoke tech right?????? This has me wondering....If tha piston is still in tha saw,,,,it would have to be @ or on the way down to the bottom of the exhaust stroke to look over the top of the piston,,,,, right????

the only part of
the intake side that would be visible would be above the intake port and it would have to be way above the port because the intake port is completely full of piston skirt when the exhaust is coming fully open??????

Your 100% right River, I wrote it wrong. The pits in the cylinder are right above, not below, the intake port. Too many gas fumes today, LOLOL

untill i pick up tht saw i am an elvis fan!

after that.....:)

to be sure i would have stayed and learned some more things. i really, really wanted to watch the 026 build!!!!!!!! i've been trying to ruin one of those recently (ask lakeside). truth is i felt like i was in the way.
that and i did have another 3.5 hour to drive to get to pennsylvania!

That 026 was done at 3.30 and out the door. Had to set that feller striaght didn't I,LOLOLOL

You weren't in the way, you was just soaking up alot of Stihl.....

I'll have the saw locked up when ya come by. Since you got it all taken care of for free you will have to pay tribute to Elvis before I can give it back to ya. I'll got a extra tube of doo glue in the office, I can spare ya some,LOLOL

see photo

Tommie,,,, You know I totally believe you are one heck of a saw/2smoke tech right?????? This has me wondering....If tha piston is still in tha saw,,,,it would have to be @ or on the way down to the bottom of the exhaust stroke to look over the top of the piston,,,,, right???? and even when th eexhaust is closed the bottom of the skirt doesnt clear the exhaust to where you can see the intake side does it??????

the only part of

i think that was a typo.
pic is with piston in cyl and piston at bottom. pic through exhaust port.
RICHAPP014.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back