Wal Mart "Super Tech" 2 stroke oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig71

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks, I was just wondering if anybody has used super tech Wal Mart oil in any of your chain saws, clearing saws? I recently purchased the stuff when my local walmart was out of Castrol mix oil. Castrol is the company that makes Stihl mix oil(says so right on the back of a stihl mix oil bottle) I figured that maybe the super tech was made for walmart by some other company in the same way that stihl's oil is made by Castrol. By the way , 1 litre of Castrol mix oil = $4.50 cdn at walmart, the same 1 litre oil at my Stihl dealer(branded as stihl mix oil) with the castrol company name on the opposite side bottom right corner of the bottle =$ 9.00 cdn. The Walmart super tech brand= $4.00 cdn. Does anyone know what company makes this mix oil for walmart? Some of my co-workers have been using it for years with no problem and suggested that I give it a try.

'Used' to be made by Quaker State. Now made by Warren???? Info from a google search. Take it for what it's worth:msp_wink:

IMHO, I wouldn't trust it anymore than I would Canadian Tire's Motomaster brand. I use either Stihl or Echo. At least the Echo is a quality semi-synthetic oil that doesn't break the bank.

I avoid Walmart at all cost no matter how good of a deal may be present:angry:

I've used the Walmart Super Tech oil. I used it at 32:1 and had no trouble with it.

At one time it was packaged by Pennzoil but apparently by someone else now.

Last edited:
IMHO, I wouldn't trust it anymore than I would Canadian Tire's Motomaster brand. I use either Stihl or Echo. At least the Echo is a quality semi-synthetic oil that doesn't break the bank.

For your information, CTC Motomaster oil is a very fine product. I've been using in in TC3 and TCW3 forms for over twenty five years in everything from high performance snowmobile, motorcycle engines and all kinds of two cycle OPE engines including my Jonsereds chainsaws. I have nothing but praise for it.

I learned quite a few years ago, from local snowmobile riders that Motomaster two cycle oil was as good as any conventional two stroke oil available and I have many two cycle machines over twenty years old still running strong using nothing but Motomaster oil.

Accordingly, from my experience, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to question it's quality.

Thanks for the replies, and also it says on the bottle that it is semi synthetic oil. It is the same color as the castrol/stihl oil.:msp_biggrin: I am going to try it and maybe mix it at 40:1, I usually mix 50:1 but I will richen it up with this oil.

I have heard some bad things about Walmart Super Tech 4 stroke oil, mainly that it does not meet requirements of newer motors. I heard a employee of Walmart say I can't believe people buy this crap, if they read their owners manual they would see it does not meet new car requirements.
I would think that if a oil company has to cut there prices to meet Wally Worlds demands if they want to sell there they might not be as concerned about the quality of the stuff that goes there. This is purely my opinion. When you are running equipment that can be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars what is a couple bucks more for piece of mind. Wait till GARY gets involved in this thread:msp_tongue:

My personal experience is I have burnt up two string trimmer using the Super-Tech mixed at 40:1, I no longer trust the stuff. I was using a Pennzoil Multi-use 2-stroke oil from Wal-Mart until they stopped carrying it earlier this year. I am now buying the Full Synthetic Poulan oil from Wal-Mart mixed at 40:1, it is usually over next to the chainsaws/string trimmers. It is a low smoke formula, contains a fuel stabilizer and costs about $6 for a 32oz bottle.

It's probably not the best stuff out there...but I worked for a guy a few years ago that provided the gas and oil. All he bought was supertech mixed with 87 octane corn gas. 8 tanks a day for who the hell knows how many hundred days. Never had an issue, for whatever it's worth. Just my 2 dumb-####/know nothing cents.

It's probably not the best stuff out there...but I worked for a guy a few years ago that provided the gas and oil. All he bought was supertech mixed with 87 octane corn gas. 8 tanks a day for who the hell knows how many hundred days. Never had an issue, for whatever it's worth. Just my 2 dumb-####/know nothing cents.

Some guys on our silviculture(thinning crew) are using it, we use 5-7 tanks of gas per day mostly stihl 480s and husqvarna 345s and they claim it works fine. I am going to try it (1 bottle anyway) and see how it goes.

LOL, I used the SuperTech outboard for a whole summer in my saws (because the Amish loggers used it). I never had any problems with it, ....... then I learned it was bad on here, LOL. Not avocating its use, but it didn't bother my saws, using pump gas, on a hot, hot summer of logging.

As to the 4-stroke SuperTech, I have at least 5 vehicles that have gone over 250,000 miles, some over 350,000 and 400,000 and most if not all oil changes were done at Wally World, LOL. Used their filters and oil. I won't change the oil in a mini van because its about impossible and Wally world has worked just fine for them. On all but one, the tranny's quite, not the engines.

For what its worth,

Sam

To the OP, regarding the initial post saying that there was castrol oil and that the stihl oil was made by castrol...

AFAIK, there are essentially trade marks, proprietary ingredients, and intellectual property associated with many of these oil mixes.

Something like stihl ultra or husqvarna XP may contain technology that they have developed. Castrol is then paid to use the technology or ingredients under license to make the blend, but cannot just then go and use the stihl formula in everything they make.

As far as I understand the smaller brand mixes generally use a "house formula" that's provided by spectrum or castrol or omni and then the bigger brands who make claims may very well have bought or developed their own formula.

As a matter of interest..who makes the Husky xp oil? and is it part synthetic or full.

Cheers Dave

In the US the oil is blended and bottled by Spectrum Corporation. Im not sure if the Australian market is big enough to have its own bottler or if you get stuff that's bottled over here or in Europe.

I was told by the guy in the know at spectrum that the XP blend is pretty advanced stuff with regard to its components and the performance specs it puts out and the rights to the formula were purchased from some company in Germany.

It is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

I like it quite a bit. The blue tint is perfect and obvious. The scent is very good too.

To the OP, regarding the initial post saying that there was castrol oil and that the stihl oil was made by castrol...

AFAIK, there are essentially trade marks, proprietary ingredients, and intellectual property associated with many of these oil mixes.

Something like stihl ultra or husqvarna XP may contain technology that they have developed. Castrol is then paid to use the technology or ingredients under license to make the blend, but cannot just then go and use the stihl formula in everything they make.

As far as I understand the smaller brand mixes generally use a "house formula" that's provided by spectrum or castrol or omni and then the bigger brands who make claims may very well have bought or developed their own formula.

So it is possible that the castrol 2 stroke oil and the Stihl 2 stroke oil are completely different oils from each other? I also wonder why 2 stroke oils don't have the american petroleum stamp that alot of regular (car)motor oils have?

a few years ago i picked up some sper tech outboard oil for my 225 yam ob it was 33%cheaper than yamalube the eng has a variable oil inj system ,i used twice as much stuper tech oil than o.e. spec oil =no savings . i went back to the good stuff , and no worries jk

So it is possible that the castrol 2 stroke oil and the Stihl 2 stroke oil are completely different oils from each other? I also wonder why 2 stroke oils don't have the american petroleum stamp that alot of regular (car)motor oils have?

According to them at least, it's beyond possible--it's supposedly what happens. I mean, you could imagine if you were stihl and you went to castrol and agreed to let them blend and bottle for you, and then they turned around and sold the oil recipe that you had given them to all the other people who asked them to bottle oils--you'd be pissed.

I'm not totally familiar with the stamp that you're talking about but I'm sure money has something to do with it.

If you're buying your 2-stroke oil at Wally World, then skip the SuperTech and grab some Poulan synthetic. MUCH better stuff. Trusted by several folks here.:msp_thumbup:

Some guys on our silviculture(thinning crew) are using it, we use 5-7 tanks of gas per day mostly stihl 480s and husqvarna 345s and they claim it works fine. I am going to try it (1 bottle anyway) and see how it goes.

I'm sure it's fine, but for the record, I gotta provide my own gas and oil nowadays, and I stick with stihl or amsoil mixed with 91 non-oxy. I'm pretty partial to the 3 work saws I'm running and don't want to take any chances. I ran the supertec in saws I figured were throw-aways. And they were. Like I said, just my 2 dumb-#### cents - Sam

Latest posts

Back