Wal Mart "Super Tech" 2 stroke oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Walmart's MSDS for 'Super Tech Universal two Stroke oil' it's blended by 'Specialty Oil Company, Houston' which was part of Pennzoil and is now owned by Shell, but the MSDS is dated '06 and could well have changed suppliers by now, it'd go out to contract.

[edit] post up the barcode number and we can find the most recent MSDS and that will tell us ;)

Last edited:
In the US the oil is blended and bottled by Spectrum Corporation. Im not sure if the Australian market is big enough to have its own bottler or if you get stuff that's bottled over here or in Europe.

I was told by the guy in the know at spectrum that the XP blend is pretty advanced stuff with regard to its components and the performance specs it puts out and the rights to the formula were purchased from some company in Germany.

It is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

I like it quite a bit. The blue tint is perfect and obvious. The scent is very good too.

Mike, Spectrum is in Selmer, West Tennessee and blends and bottles oil for Husqvarna,Dolmar,Shindaiwa,Craftsman,Woodland Pro and many others.
---Company Profile

As a matter of interest..who makes the Husky xp oil? and is it part synthetic or full.

Cheers Dave

In the US the oil is blended and bottled by Spectrum Corporation. Im not sure if the Australian market is big enough to have its own bottler or if you get stuff that's bottled over here or in Europe.

I was told by the guy in the know at spectrum that the XP blend is pretty advanced stuff with regard to its components and the performance specs it puts out and the rights to the formula were purchased from some company in Germany.

It is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

I like it quite a bit. The blue tint is perfect and obvious. The scent is very good too.

I suspect Husky oil here is now sourced from the US as the larger bottles are now US 1 gallon/3.78litres rather than the 4 litre bottles that are normal here, although why they would bring it in already bottled rather than bulk and bottle it here I have no idea, there are plenty of blending/bottling facilities here.

Stihl oil here is blended by Castrol Australia.

Last edited:
Castrol/BP don't have any blending facilities in the US, they use contract blenders like Omni and I think you'll find the Omni/Stihl oil is a Castrol 'recipe'.

who makes and or bottles the oil does not matter.

use what manufacturer recommends

or find and mix bottle that says: FOR AIR COOLED ENGINES

API-TC
or
JASO FC (good) or JASO FD (better)
or
ISO-L-EGB (good) or ISO-L-EGC (better) or ISO-L-EGD (best)

the above marked bottles are tested to specs. Testing costs $50,000 or more to get the oil approved to to above standards. Not all oils are tested to spec because of the money involved.

The TCW3 is for water cooled boat engines that operate cooler and NOT for AIR Cooled motors. Will it work...yes.......but will carbon things up. I have used it for saws... gallons of it in the past when draining tanks from boats when the docks come out for the winter. Won't recommend that to anyone though.

Castrol/BP don't have any blending facilities in the US, they use contract blenders like Omni and I think you'll find the Omni/Stihl oil is a Castrol 'recipe'.

I believe you may be correct. However they do have refining facilities here that produce base oils, and polymer additives for oil. I also believe Stihl had certain requirements Castrol had to meet, burning clean in 4mix engines being one of them.

I wouldn't use it if you held me at gun point. I like the Stihl full synthetic or Amsoil Sabre. I have even been known on occasion to use Klotz which is also an awesome premix. Never cheap out on lubricity.

see dadyrabbits post!!!!!

additive packages are licensed to whoever's name is on the bottle as was mentioned earlier. which in turn mean's that they 'own' a special blended oil formula. that formula is owned by them.

do you think that a retail chain really cares what exactly is in the formula?

do you think that a retail chain warranties or even does it's own repairs on equipment returns?

do you think it's just about making a profit?

take the shoalin monks (i.e. daddyrabbits) advice!!!

.....after a cup of coffee

if anyone does indeed decide to use this oil for whatever reason. at least look for the standards if marked on the back of the bottle. have not held one of that brand in my hand.

and don't mix more pre-mix oil in....thinking that it will 'lube' better. it has the opposite effect.

example: more pre-mix oil = less gasoline in the mix. therefore Leaner.

considering that ...... if you decide to run 40:1 (more oil) than factory recommended 50:1 .....please realize what you are doing.

many people make a living working on engines and like the business.

Hi folks, I was just wondering if anybody has used super tech Wal Mart oil in any of your chain saws, clearing saws? I recently purchased the stuff when my local walmart was out of Castrol mix oil. Castrol is the company that makes Stihl mix oil(says so right on the back of a stihl mix oil bottle) I figured that maybe the super tech was made for walmart by some other company in the same way that stihl's oil is made by Castrol. By the way , 1 litre of Castrol mix oil = $4.50 cdn at walmart, the same 1 litre oil at my Stihl dealer(branded as stihl mix oil) with the castrol company name on the opposite side bottom right corner of the bottle =$ 9.00 cdn. The Walmart super tech brand= $4.00 cdn. Does anyone know what company makes this mix oil for walmart? Some of my co-workers have been using it for years with no problem and suggested that I give it a try.

Remember it's all about the oil! I use the Super-Tech Wally World 2-cycle oil but only in the saws I'm breaking in. After that it's Amsoil and Poulan Synthetic.

who makes and or bottles the oil does not matter.

use what manufacturer recommends

or find and mix bottle that says: FOR AIR COOLED ENGINES

API-TC
or
JASO FC (good) or JASO FD (better)
or
ISO-L-EGB (good) or ISO-L-EGC (better) or ISO-L-EGD (best)

the above marked bottles are tested to specs. Testing costs $50,000 or more to get the oil approved to to above standards. Not all oils are tested to spec because of the money involved.

The TCW3 is for water cooled boat engines that operate cooler and NOT for AIR Cooled motors. Will it work...yes.......but will carbon things up. I have used it for saws... gallons of it in the past when draining tanks from boats when the docks come out for the winter. Won't recommend that to anyone though.

It does not list any of those specifications on the bottle, it just says "super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil is a low ash oil for use in air-cooled and liquid cooled (excluding outboards) 2 cycle engines including both pre mix and oil injection systems down to -40 degrees celcius."

According to Walmart's MSDS for 'Super Tech Universal two Stroke oil' it's blended by 'Specialty Oil Company, Houston' which was part of Pennzoil and is now owned by Shell, but the MSDS is dated '06 and could well have changed suppliers by now, it'd go out to contract.

[edit] post up the barcode number and we can find the most recent MSDS and that will tell us ;)

The bar code number is 7910607128 and it also says "Made In Canada"

I used to work for Philips making picture tubes for TVs. We made them for magnavox, Sony, Sharp, toshiba, etc. They all we made using the same equipment and left the same plant. However, they were NOT the same. Each manufacturer required different specs for the parts used to assemble them, and accepted different types of defects differently. For instance, magnavox took about anything, and used the cheapest internal parts, while Sony would only take bulbs that were nearly perfect and used superior materials. Doesn't mean every Sony tube was better than every magnavox, but most absolutely were. No doubt, the oil is the same, made to one spec for one manufacturer today and changed over to a different formula tomorrow for someone else. Just keep it in mind when buying cheap....

Jim

They all we made using the same equipment and left the same plant. However, they were NOT the same. Each manufacturer required different specs No doubt, the oil is the same, made to one spec for one manufacturer today and changed over to a different formula tomorrow for someone else. Just keep it in mind when buying cheap....

Jim

Just like gasoline Jim. I retired from the big gasoline maker in your hometown and i will say every truck in this part of the state picked up at the gas rack no matter whos name was on the side. Same gas just different "packets" that went into the gas...Bob

I was taught when I was young to pick a good oil, and stick with it. At least on the brand, if I run out I don't use another brand of oil, and I wont use someone else's gas. I use my gas, and oil mix evry time. And the same oil. Something like that walmart brand you will never know 100 percent, of what you are getting. The fact that was mentioned of chaging of oil company hand's already, would make me stay very clear of it. If it was from a reputable maker for a long period of time, might be different.

Just like gasoline Jim. I retired from the big gasoline maker in your hometown and i will say every truck in this part of the state picked up at the gas rack no matter whos name was on the side. Same gas just different "packets" that went into the gas...Bob
Yep, if it came tru the pipe its all straight run don't matter what grade or brand. A slug of water seperates the diesel.
Now E-85 don't come tru the pipe you could'nt seperate it with water so it is trucked.

Where does Wal Mart "Super Tech" 2 stroke oi come from?

I was taught when I was young to pick a good oil, and stick with it. At least on the brand, if I run out I don't use another brand of oil, and I wont use someone else's gas. I use my gas, and oil mix evry time. And the same oil. Something like that walmart brand you will never know 100 percent, of what you are getting. The fact that was mentioned of chaging of oil company hand's already, would make me stay very clear of it. If it was from a reputable maker for a long period of time, might be different.

I googled this and got the following from jay_merrill on iboats.com :
Walmart 2 cycle oil

August 29th, 2009 07:35 PM #4
Vice Admiral jay_merrill

Default Re: Walmart 2 cycle oil

The info that I have is that Walmart's Super Tech 2 stroke oils are provided to it by Warren Distribution, Inc. Warren Distribution is an Omaha, Nebraska company that manufactures and distributes automotive aftermarket parts. They also distribute oils and chemicals as private label products. The company began as Warren Oil Company, in 1922.

In, addition to the private label brands that it supplies to companies like Walmart, Warren Distributors also has its own brand of oils. They are sold under the names Accel, MAG1 and Polar.

While Warren apparently does blend its own oils, it has no refining capability, so it has to be getting its raw stock from someone else. Just who that is, is the 50 dollar question. My guess is that they get it from whatever source is the least expensive at the time.

Even if they are getting the stock form SOPUS (Shell Oil Products, US), which includes the Pennzoil, Quaker State & Shell brands, to say that the Super Tech Oil is the same as any of those brands, would be a stretch.

The best thing we might be able to do, in order to come up with opinions of the quality of Super Tech products, is to find some independant testing on them. If anyone finds such testing on the net, I suggest putting a link to it here.

Latest posts

Back