Wanna Talk About Port Shapes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ported a couple of those units. They are not as easy to get big gains from as the newer epa, stopped up stuff. Some gains are there though.....just not the big gains will see in newer engines.

I checked and double checked Clint.......no difference in port timing at all. The KS jug does have a much nicer finish, and that is likely why in stock form they seem to out perform the Mahle.

After port work.......I doubt there is any difference at all.

When the transfers first crack open, you want to be fully flowing across the entire area of the port.

What’s the benefit of keeping it flat (or am I completely misinterpreting that that's what you mean to say...)?

I seem to recall the more northern monkey mention angling the upper transfers up a bit toward the exhaust side so as to give that end a head start to help get the entire charge over to the intake side at more somewhat the same time. Or something like that…

Is this only an advantage in particular cylinders and/or circumstances?

If DC sent you that jug for you to learn something, I wonder what it was. First thing I noticed was the rear finger ports were not equidistant from the centreline of the cylinder. If they work, they would be tilting the flow to one side. I would have liked to see the flow pattern in the head before it got machined out.

Assuming they work, then what was he attempting to achieve. Looks like it may have been an attempt to increase the time/area of the transfers without raising them too much. Being as it is a dual port jug, there is a limit to how wide the transfers can be, so he may have gone with the rear boost ports to give the transfers more area. THEN, he may have noticed a disruption of the flow from the angle of the ports, so he put in the ports below them to correct the flow.

That's all conjecture without his R&D input - however, if I've learned anything from modding it's - 'what works is just that, what works'.

I don't have that many cylinders around to look at, and some of them are Poulan clamshells - but the only one that has a flat lower edge on the intake is a GZ4000. How common is it on higher end cylinders from the factory? And if it's not, then why not? It certainly would be easy for them to make that shape anything they wanted it to be.

Back