Want to increase my bar size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warailroader

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My hobby is woodturning and as such I'm offered a lot of free wood. I can turn up to 24" in diameter. For wood harvesting I currently have a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. If I'm offered some really big stuff, I have a friend who has a Stihl 461 with a 32" bar. However, sometime when I get the big pieces home I need to resaw them and it would be nice to have a few more inches to work with, 24-25. I've been told by some fellow turners that I can put a 24 inch bar on my 290, but have been reluctant about overstressing the engine. So what's my step in motor size to accommodate my desire for more bar length? Thanks.

My hobby is woodturning and as such I'm offered a lot of free wood. I can turn up to 24" in diameter. For wood harvesting I currently have a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar. If I'm offered some really big stuff, I have a friend who has a Stihl 461 with a 32" bar. However, sometime when I get the big pieces home I need to resaw them and it would be nice to have a few more inches to work with, 24-25. I've been told by some fellow turners that I can put a 24 inch bar on my 290, but have been reluctant about overstressing the engine. So what's my step in motor size to accommodate my desire for more bar length? Thanks.
My 290 wouldn't oil any more than a 20 in bar... no oil adjuster was the problem

I have a 390 and run a 28" bar. I modified the oiler for more flow and ported the saw. Your 290 is 56cc and the 390 is 64cc. You can get a 390 motor and drop it right in. The aftermarket motors can have different port sizes, timing, and such. I have had aftermarket motors with much smaller ports, different combustion chambers, port timing, etc...
If you do some light porting before installing, you will have a VERY different saw. Most 50cc saws will barely handle a 20" bar in stock form. I have a ported husqvarna 350 that you would swear is a gas powered lightsaber. 😁

get a 24" bar and try it. It's the only way to find out.

First off, you need a razor sharp chain, square filed chain has less drag than round filed also. Secondly try what's called "skip tooth" there are 1/2 as many cutters. You can also probably go back a tooth on your drive sprocket. This will slow the chain, and increase torque.

Ideally more cc's is the answer but if you stack the deck in your favor & use occasionally you might be fine.

You don't need square ground, it's a pain in the ass.

Jolly logger- Yeah it is. I thought mine was nice size at 12". My metal lathe is 11". A 24 inch lathe is huge and requires it's own dedicated work space. There is full complement chain, half skip, and full skip. I have run full skip on my 390 with a 28" bar and it didn't seem much different than standard chain, but my saw is ported. Full skip is fast to sharpen.

Latest posts

Back