Waste motor oil as bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You also have fuel injection and the oil is not flooded with gas. It also likely has cam phasers or vct and no distributor to pound the top sides of the rod bearings. Yes the oil would be cleaner.
Never seen a distributor that "pounded the top sides of rod bearings"? All I ever dealt with were worm gear drive? :)

Was at lowes the other day figured I'd stop and see what they are getting for oil. I used to run quite a lot of this brand. $13.00 is cheap, even the hydraulic oil was more expensive.
PERSPECTIVE is $13 is expensive when you bought $9/gal bar oil x6-gal 3yrs ago at TSC on sale from $10.99 Reg? 13/11= 18% Increase, and this inflation sucks wind? Worse= $13/$9= 144%. In my 40+ years before retirement, I never saw any inflation raises to match that?

Did bit of research.

Found research on oil mist from machining operations, none on used motor oil yet.

Oil mist from machining operations is limited to

5 parts per million or
5 mg / cubic meter TWA (time weighted average) / OSHA.

This TWA or time weighted average is, I believe, over an 8-hour span.

The limits are also based upon:
10-hour work day or
40 hour work week

I have never run a chainsaw 10 hours straight, nor for a 40-hour workweek in my life. I'd say most saw users in the world do not. Those who do probably also shut the saw off, sharpen, and eat lunch, etc. so that saw would not be running in their hands the full 40 hours.

This is for perspective. I understand ANY exposure to used motor oil is not needed if you use real bar oil. However, good bar oil will result in some exposure, also, not zero.

As far as aerosolization of oil by the saw, this is actually more plausible now that I pound out a few rough numbers. There is a lot more churning at the drive sprocket than I originally thought. I know of no measurement of how much oil gets into the air from a bar and chain, but I am sure it is more than zero.

1676317227825.png

Maybe those worried about breathing oil are not totally crazy.

I am still convinced it is a mild exposure level for the average user, but hey, I don't deny it is there at least.

Did bit of research.

Found research on oil mist from machining operations, none on used motor oil yet.

5 parts per million or

10-hour work day or
40 hour work week

I have never run a chainsaw 10 hours straight, nor for a 40-hour workweek in my life. I'd say most saw users in the world do not. Those who do probably also shut the saw off, sharpen, and eat lunch, etc. so that saw would not be running in their hands the full 40 hours.

This is for perspective. I understand ANY exposure to used motor oil is not needed if you use real bar oil. However, good bar oil will result in some exposure, also, not zero.

As far as aerosolization of oil by the saw, this is actually more plausible now that I pound out a few rough numbers. There is a lot more churning at the drive sprocket than I originally thought. I know of no measurement of how much oil gets into the air from a bar and chain, but I am sure it is more than zero.

View attachment 1057611

I am still convinced it is a mild exposure level for the average user, but hey, I don't deny it is there at least.
T
Did bit of research.

5 parts per million or

10-hour work day or
40 hour work week

View attachment 1057611

Those concerned about mists should bury the bar in wood like big boys instead of revving the saw and yelling "over here look at me."
The oil that comes off the bar is irrelevant compared to the emissions from the exhaust. Thoise concerned should wear gloves and respirators.

Did bit of research.

5 parts per million or

10-hour work day or
40 hour work week

View attachment 1057611

Your a little late brother Iol. I already answered your question posed in post # 475 yesterday within post #477 . P.S. The short term exposure limit is (STEL) is also 5 mg. / M3 . The Time Weighted Average was for yrs a 8 hour duration period for a normal 40 hour work week . P.S.S. No experienced chainsaw operator uses used engine oil for bar oil . Common sense dictates the downside of such actions within potential health & environmental impacts . Even more so when its laced with gasoline , that is all that both Mr Walker & Donato have been relating , which is not Rocket Science . Any Commercial Operation witnessed doing so , would be shutdown immediately & heavily fined by the DNR or Ministry of the Environment .

PERSPECTIVE is $13 is expensive when you bought $9/gal bar oil x6-gal 3yrs ago at TSC on sale from $10.99 Reg? 13/11= 18% Increase, and this inflation sucks wind? Worse= $13/$9= 144%. In my 40+ years before retirement, I never saw any inflation raises to match that?
Most recently I paid $7.00 gal at farm and fleet for mystic brand bar oil. That was last spring. It still goes for sale close to that price, but they no longer ship. Stuff gets more expensive. Just the way it is. I don't like it, but there's nothing you or I will do about it.

Your a little late brother Iol. I already answered your question posed in post # 475 yesterday within post #477 . P.S. The short term exposure limit is (STEL) is also 5 mg. / M3 . The Time Weighted Average was for yrs a 8 hour duration period for a normal 40 hour work week . P.S.S. No experienced chainsaw operator uses used engine oil for bar oil . Common sense dictates the downside of such actions within potential health & environmental impacts . Even more so when its laste with gasoline , that is all that both Mr Walker & Donato have been relating , which is not Rocket Science . Any Commercial Operation witnessed doing so , would be shutdown immediately & heavily fined by the DNR or Ministry of the Environment .

Feel better?

LOL! I couldn't agree more, the lefties have struck fear of everything under the sun into the hearts and minds of once rational people.
I guess I’m a lefty but the tattoo on my forearm says “Trust no one, Fear nothing ! I just cannot stand people like Trump who think they some kind of a god. Besides that, I have tried using used motor oil quite a few years ago, it sucks, way to thin, I like a good sticky oil. We’re all gonna die and that’s a fact !

T

Those concerned about mists should bury the bar in wood like big boys instead of revving the saw and yelling "over here look at me."
The oil that comes off the bar is irrelevant compared to the emissions from the exhaust. Thoise concerned should wear gloves and respirators.
yes the two stroke oil in the exhaust fumes would be way more dangerous...

For those considering using used motor oil to lub your chains, I did it for over 25 years and never had a problem with the bar or the chains. I used to run two crews for tree work and used this oil in 17 chainsaws without one problem. Just so you know. And as far as I know, none of us died from cancer.

Your a little late brother Iol. I already answered your question posed in post # 475 yesterday within post #477 . P.S. The short term exposure limit is (STEL) is also 5 mg. / M3 . The Time Weighted Average was for yrs a 8 hour duration period for a normal 40 hour work week . P.S.S. No experienced chainsaw operator uses used engine oil for bar oil . Common sense dictates the downside of such actions within potential health & environmental impacts . Even more so when its laste with gasoline , that is all that both Mr Walker & Donato have been relating , which is not Rocket Science . Any Commercial Operation witnessed doing so , would be shutdown immediately & heavily fined by the DNR or Ministry of the Environment .
No, its not rocket science, but the drooling dumb phuqs can't wrap their minds around it.

Latest posts

Back