We need to help Cody!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on making a nice video with an "Old Growth" Spruce. . . I need Paw Paw (Jake) to come out and help me with it.

It's gonna be priceless. :D

That deserves a dedicated, no holds barred thread on equipment and techique .
Of course the video should be in black&white or that old brown sepia for period realism.

just thinkin out loud - :hmm3grin2orange:

That deserves a dedicated, no holds barred thread on equipment and techique .
Of course the video should be in black&white or that old brown sepia for period realism.

just thinkin out loud - :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh no, the setting will be in modern times. . . I may have to involve Roma as well. :D

Full blown production here we come!! :laugh:

I know this is a passioned subject, but IMO, certain timber should be protected. I don't enjoy seeing trees like that cut down, those are irreplaceable.

And yes, I have hugged a tree.... :msp_ohmy:

It was a rare old-growth for these parts, now since protected. Several feet dbh.

Idiots have tried to burn it down, had to be concreted, surprised no one had cut it by now, probably because no one had a big enough saw. I need to get out there and get some pictures of it.

But there has to be a middle ground somewhere between unregulated clear-cutting and a complete ban on logging.

I do think timber management has improved since WWII, but that doesn't mean its perfect either. Yes, there very well may be more trees now, but back then, there were portions of East that were clear cut for hundreds of miles. In fact, where I am at, the entire state, save for a small hundred or so acre portion, has pretty much all new-growth timber. That really isn't an accurate comparison on whether or not we have perfected timber management.

Timber is one of our most valuable resources, one that is completely renewable. I probably differ on opinion of most here on how we should go about to protect that resource, but hopefully, we don't differ on the opinion that we need to sustain this resource for ours and future generations needs. :msp_smile:

Besides, us greenies need the trees to counteract global warming.. :biggrin:

I know this is a passioned subject, but IMO, certain timber should be protected. I don't enjoy seeing trees like that cut down, those are irreplaceable.

And yes, I have hugged a tree.... :msp_ohmy:

It was a rare old-growth for these parts, now since protected. Several feet dbh.

Idiots have tried to burn it down, had to be concreted, surprised no one had cut it by now, probably because no one had a big enough saw. I need to get out there and get some pictures of it.

But there has to be a middle ground somewhere between unregulated clear-cutting and a complete ban on logging.

I do think timber management has improved since WWII, but that doesn't mean its perfect either. Yes, there very well may be more trees now, but back then, there were portions of East that were clear cut for hundreds of miles. In fact, where I am at, the entire state, save for a small hundred or so acre portion, has pretty much all new-growth timber. That really isn't an accurate comparison on whether or not we have perfected timber management.

Timber is one of our most valuable resources, one that is completely renewable. I probably differ on opinion of most here on how we should go about to protect that resource, but hopefully, we don't differ on the opinion that we need to sustain this resource for ours and future generations needs. :msp_smile:

Besides, us greenies need the trees to counteract global warming.. :biggrin:

You sound confused. . . Too much herbal tea? :laugh:

Stopped in to wish you a good night my brothers! Sometimes what some never understand is we do respect, and conserve. Just because we cut down trees or hunt animals, does not mean we want to kill it all off. Guys like us already have found a balance:msp_wink:

Just tell them you are cleaning up their mess. It is because of the uninformed policies of the left that will watch the forest die rather than have the people who own the land be able to access it. I cut up hundreds of trees near road-less areas that are all beetle kill, I just tell them I'm doing my part to save the forest by killing thousands of bark beetle larva by burning them up in my wood stove, so choke on my smoke tree huger what have you done, other than crap all over the forest and not clean up your garbage. That's right I have been in your hippie camps after you have left to clean up your mess.

These people make me sick and I let them know every chance I get.

Last edited:
If it make you feel better, and I doubt it will, I was at a local university last week bucking up a 250 year old oak that had to come down to make way for equipment to build a new building on campus. Well the students made a small protest march and put rest in peace tags where the tree had been. Funny though, they didn't protest the new building they were getting. At another local big name college several students gave one of the contractors a hard time for having a full size older Dodge pickup and called him a gas hog. He tried to explain that it was diesel and got better mileage than most of the cars they drove. It would seem that the educated class is becoming less educated and certainly more bandwagon oriented.

The lesson seems to be idiots will be idiots.

If it make you feel better, and I doubt it will, I was at a local university last week bucking up a 250 year old oak that had to come down to make way for equipment to build a new building on campus. Well the students made a small protest march and put rest in peace tags where the tree had been. Funny though, they didn't protest the new building they were getting. At another local big name college several students gave one of the contractors a hard time for having a full size older Dodge pickup and called him a gas hog. He tried to explain that it was diesel and got better mileage than most of the cars they drove. It would seem that the educated class is becoming less educated and certainly more bandwagon oriented.

The lesson seems to be idiots will be idiots.

Blind sided for decades and persuaded to make anonymous donations to the Save Everything 501c fund. Why ? cause it feels warm and soft.

Well, Metals406, you know what I meant.. :tongue2:

Gees, what is this fascination with hippies? :msp_confused:

Anyway, NO ONE should litter, I always pack out what I packed in.

I'm not trying to get the thread locked or anything, nor trying to get the opportunity to count RandyMac's fingers. Nor am I going to tie myself to a tree or anything like that. There's been enough negative vibes around here lately for me anyway, I don't want to contribute to that. I've learned a lot here in the chainsaw forum in my short time here, and do hope that continues.

But I can't help it, I have a soft spot for nature. It has nothing to do with politics, or being a hippy, or anything else. I grew up playing in the small patch of woods behind the house. Even when we went on our yearly family camping trips, trees were named and placemarked for important locations.

I still try and get out and see the beauty of nature when I can, whether its an ATV trip (Tread Lightly), a fishing outing, a walk, or simply driving through a forested area. And no, national forests are not sanctuaries from coal and timber operations, as evidenced here in the East.

Rightly or wrongly, I don't like to see vast parts of our land clear-cut, or mountains leveled for coal, the pollution of our land and waters, or even something as simple as seeing people littering. I guess if that makes me an ignorant tree hugging leftist idealistic hippy, well, I don't think there is enough space for me to change my screen-name... :msp_tongue:

I guess my main point though is can the timber industry sustain itself? As said, it is one of our most important natural resources, one that helps to clean the atmosphere of our pollution, helps keep land stable and usable, and probably most importantly, one that is renewable.

I don't think at the current rate of production, that both the needs of industry and the needs of nature can be in balance. Does all the old growth need to be cut or can the industry harvest faster growing trees? Does the industry need to clear-cut everything or can it be more selective with what is harvested? Can there be better implementation of tree farms?

I am NOT suggesting that logging be completly outlawed, or that loggers aren't already conserving this resource, but just that one be more conscious of the amounts of timber that is being cut. Yes, I put my saws to the wood, all deadwood and blowdows for my measly wood needs though.

But, I expect my saws to be passed down a few generations (I got a Stihl, so I KNOW it will last that long.. :biggrin: kidding...), so hopefully they will be cutting wood for decades to come. Will there still be an opportunity to do so?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, back to my tea.

But just remember, I may have already named that tree you are about to cut down.. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Back