We need to help Cody!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not liking this idea that being a timber faller=hating nature/environment....whatever.
I fall timber because I like being outdoors....and I don't care for most people.
Hell, I got my college degree in environmental studies. I must be a hippie!
Most of the jobs we do are done for reasons of forest health. People get pissed about it because the are completly ignorant of forest health issues. After 100 years of ####ty forest management, our public lands are pretty ####ed up. Forests and foresters need loggers, and the mills that pay for the logs to fund the projects that try and reset some of the natural systems that have been thrown severly out of wack.

Just my dumbass know-nothing timber faller 2 cents - Sam

That's about dead on the money. Lot of the opposition to "forestry anything" is rooted in multiple recent generations of people that have been presented with a one-sided view. Similar in a lot of respects to the early days of Smokey the Bear and wildfire suppression at any cost. That message and policy was abrutly changed, but the related part of that policy for overall Forest Mangement was not successfully conveyed to the public. Just a piece of the puzzle, imho.

The side effects of the point source pollution courst case, is it a can of worms when one considers the ramifications might play out on other Federal (BLM) and State Lands.

Maybe they'd (hippies) be happy if we called it the harvest instead? Do it with a "combine." Change the marketing of the whole game to farming (yeah, yeah I can already hear the groans about farmer loggers :D).

As long as we can use the "farmers backcut" while we are "felling" all is good.

In addition to that, there aren't many sawmills left that can handle large diameter logs. In fact, timber sellers will be docked for delivering logs that are over the preferred diameter of a sawmill. So, it pays to offer timber in the 14 to 28" diameter range.

I have a friend whose father owned a sawmill for years and owned a large excavating business that gave him access to logs. His idea is that a big log is good and a bigger one is better. He brought by a 24' log that had to be 40" at the butt end to be processed on a mill with a 20' carriage and a 56" blade. Given its size, the only way to reduce it down was to nibble at the edges and turn it into a 12 sided log. One return of the carriage about took out a corner of the shed over the mill and the carriage came off the track once. The only saving grace was the forklift because we never could have turned it by hand. One of the most miserable and unproductive 2 hours I have ever spent in my life.

Liked and subscribed. Wow! I looked at your other videos how can they all be negative. Or is that cause you shut off the rating?

Thought you would like that Randy! Slowp you brought up some real good points, I was working for Berry's mill when the Canadian cedar, and trex was giving the conheart a was going to say a run, but, almost wiped out redwood for decking. The mill did, and still has a bunch of land and timber. Used to have there own crew in the woods. The owner Bruce told me one day, he said it is sad, we have beautiful land, and plenty of timber, all sustained yield but it was cheaper for us to buy the lumber, from other mills. With the cost of harvest plans on the rise, and everything else. Been out of it for ten years myself, but there were days it reminded me of the stock market, the way the prices flucuated.

Liked and subscribed. Wow! I looked at your other videos how can they all be negative. Or is that cause you shut off the rating?

I had to shut off ratings on my other videos because a couple hippie maggots were down thumbing them, and spamming me with bull#### messages. One message read "bunch of rednecks out destroying the forest" And it was placed on all my videos, even the ones where I was cutting dead trees for firewood, and taking down dead cottonwood trees. Goes to show how ignorant these jackholes can be. I sure wish they would put up some videos of their own so I could return the favor :) Too bad they are little chicken####s! Thanks for checking out my channel pard.

I had to shut off ratings on my other videos because a couple hippie maggots were down thumbing them, and spamming me with bull#### messages. One message read "bunch of rednecks out destroying the forest" And it was placed on all my videos, even the ones where I was cutting dead trees for firewood, and taking down dead cottonwood trees. Goes to show how ignorant these jackholes can be. I sure wish they would put up some videos of their own so I could return the favor :) Too bad they are little chicken####s! Thanks for checking out my channel pard.

My latest insult is that I am a Corporate Shill. Or is it Schill? The particular insulter does not work in the woods, has never had any education in the woods, moved here from Massachusetts or one of those places, and works in a storage locker business.

Maybe it was a compliment??

Those are the people who are dictating or trying to dictate how our forests should be run.

So now this has become bash the tree huggers thread, I will share my story.
So a little back ground this was back before I started logging, always cut wood and run saw. I come from a logging family, so I have always worn double knee jeans, suspenders and hickory shirts. There alot of hippie f###s up here fom Cali and Seattle. They like being close to skiing almost year round and being in wooded areas. The little town up the road is where Clark Gable(I believe) filmed call of the wild or something like that, is over run with them.
Anyways up eating dinner with the family. I hear a group of huggers talking loadly about a clear cut near there residence and looking over at me. I laugh shake my head and try to pay no attention and can't. As I listen to the crap and hate pouring out of them. One or to of them mention they need to get gas and files to cut firewood. My mouth is wide open and I can't shut it.
I ask where there cutting wood at and if it's blow down. They answered at the logging landing near there house cause it's close. I laugh and ask if it's to heat there adobe hut. Well no. So you hate logging but now you are going to steal wood from hard working people and use it to heat your wood framed and sides cabin. You are big ash hipocrit. Taking that wood is theft, I hope you get caught and never return from your wood cutting. You really have no clue.
Needless to say I was banned from there. Since the huggers where friends with the owners. Fortunately it changed hands and I can still get cheep tacos on Tuesday's. I'm sure there are worse story out there.

attachment.php

So now this has become bash the tree huggers thread, I will share my story.
So a little back ground this was back before I started logging, always cut wood and run saw. I come from a logging family, so I have always worn double knee jeans, suspenders and hickory shirts. There alot of hippie f###s up here fom Cali and Seattle. They like being close to skiing almost year round and being in wooded areas. The little town up the road is where Clark Gable(I believe) filmed call of the wild or something like that, is over run with them.
Anyways up eating dinner with the family. I hear a group of huggers talking loadly about a clear cut near there residence and looking over at me. I laugh shake my head and try to pay no attention and can't. As I listen to the crap and hate pouring out of them. One or to of them mention they need to get gas and files to cut firewood. My mouth is wide open and I can't shut it.
I ask where there cutting wood at and if it's blow down. They answered at the logging landing near there house cause it's close. I laugh and ask if it's to heat there adobe hut. Well no. So you hate logging but now you are going to steal wood from hard working people and use it to heat your wood framed and sides cabin. You are big ash hipocrit. Taking that wood is theft, I hope you get caught and never return from your wood cutting. You really have no clue.
Needless to say I was banned from there. Since the huggers where friends with the owners. Fortunately it changed hands and I can still get cheep tacos on Tuesday's. I'm sure there are worse story out there.

Best one I have was this guy that I was chatting with in the airport in Seattle. I was cutting timber for Columbia then in Concrete and rode with a helicopter mechanic friend of mine to the airport to pick up a pilot. We were sitting there waiting and I started bsing with this guy (not a hippy, but ignorant to facts nonetheless). Anyhow, we told him we worked for a helicopter logging company and first thing he says (which I have heard a million times) is: "I don't mind logging, I just hate clear cuts". So I asked him if he was from Seattle, and he said yes. So I said: Do you know that you live in probably one of the biggest clear cuts in North America? He gave me a puzzled look and asked how that was. I told him to read some history books on the area and see how the settlers there talked about how dark and dreary it was, and how were they ever going to get these big trees down and stumps ripped out so they could live there. Thank god for loggers and sawmills. First big sawmill in that area was right in the heart of the biggest nicest trees, and oh, yes Seattle...with its harbor? Guys face was classic. Just goes to show how ignorant folks can be on the subject. I have to hear bull#### like that all the time. Sometimes I just bite my tongue and smile and wave...

Best one I have was this guy that I was chatting with in the airport in Seattle. I was cutting timber for Columbia then in Concrete and rode with a helicopter mechanic friend of mine to the airport to pick up a pilot. We were sitting there waiting and I started bsing with this guy (not a hippy, but ignorant to facts nonetheless). Anyhow, we told him we worked for a helicopter logging company and first thing he says (which I have heard a million times) is: "I don't mind logging, I just hate clear cuts". So I asked him if he was from Seattle, and he said yes. So I said: Do you know that you live in probably one of the biggest clear cuts in North America? He gave me a puzzled look and asked how that was. I told him to read some history books on the area and see how the settlers there talked about how dark and dreary it was, and how were they ever going to get these big trees down and stumps ripped out so they could live there. Thank god for loggers and sawmills. First big sawmill in that area was right in the heart of the biggest nicest trees, and oh, yes Seattle...with its harbor? Guys face was classic. Just goes to show how ignorant folks can be on the subject. I have to hear bull#### like that all the time. Sometimes I just bite my tongue and smile and wave...

At this point, those high pitched, squeaky, screaming voices no longer get threw the ears to the brain. Selective filtering by Lombard, Homelite. :)

I was skidding a log back to camp on my 4 wheeler and took a shortcut trail down the hill and went through a enviro-nazi camp. One look at me and my get up and they really started to get mad, even blocking me so I couldn't get down the trail, but boy the second they started to come toward me Mr. Glock made an appearance. It is amazing how peoples mood changes when a bigger stick comes to play, just them my best friend came down on his big Polaris with the rest of the trunk and we went on our way. About mid week we rode back up the trail to get another tree and the hippies had left, they left their garbage, broken tents, blankets, folding chairs, and they didn't have the common courtesy to crap in one hole and bury it as poo and toilet paper were everywhere. We spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning up their mess so others could enjoy the camp spot. Now I just refer to them as the Zombie Apocalypse, the living dead trying to turn others into brain dead Zombie's.

Thanks JIM!! And I liked your story, mr glock! Reminded me of a tree job we did. Had to take down some nice doug firs actually, and some tan oaks. The day started to go awry, real quick. Private road one way in, and out. As soon as we put the first tree down, which we had to bull rope, and pull. We started saws, did not even get a cut in, and hear comes a car that wants through right now! Nothing urgent just a A-hole! I started to say real sorry have you through in just one minute, and he starts screaming at me flips me off, and well F you, and this, and that. Well I'm not known to lay day, and I let him have it from my mouth. Well my buddy John, and Jesus had the top cut and out of the road quick, this guy takes off races down the road, and gets about 70 feet away. Locks em up, jumps out grabs a big stick, and starts running up toward me. I picked up my fiskar axe from the stump, laying by my wedges. I stood there and said what the F#### you gonna do with that stick! He froze threw the stick down, and ran back to his mini van, and drove off. Saw him a few more times that day, as he drove to and from. He would not even make eye contact windows up door locked!

I was skidding a log back to camp on my 4 wheeler and took a shortcut trail down the hill and went through a enviro-nazi camp. One look at me and my get up and they really started to get mad, even blocking me so I couldn't get down the trail, but boy the second they started to come toward me Mr. Glock made an appearance. It is amazing how peoples mood changes when a bigger stick comes to play, just them my best friend came down on his big Polaris with the rest of the trunk and we went on our way. About mid week we rode back up the trail to get another tree and the hippies had left, they left their garbage, broken tents, blankets, folding chairs, and they didn't have the common courtesy to crap in one hole and bury it as poo and toilet paper were everywhere. We spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning up their mess so others could enjoy the camp spot. Now I just refer to them as the Zombie Apocalypse, the living dead trying to turn others into brain dead Zombie's.

They ain't called "Dirty Hippies" for nuthin'!!

My favorite ones are the dredlocked up ones that literally stink, and brag about not washing with detergent, and only use water. :msp_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back